Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Cyber Security / IT Services
Country flag
As a fellow Houstonian asked me about my total Tesla package and another member asked me to make a Thread post, here it is...

So it all started 6 years ago and all I wanted was a Tesla. So for 5 years on the background of my cell phone I had the Tesla Logo, to constantly remind me the goals I had set for myself.

July 27, 2018 I finally got my Tesla Model 3 and installed my HPWC feeling so cool! As of today I currently have 37,445 miles on my car.

So fast forward to this year, moved to Houston and finally got settled in so it was time to move to stage two. I have wanted a solar system for so many years. So after going through Hurricane Harvey and dealing with no power for three days and living off of a generator I knew solar was the way to go. Of course there is always the natural gas lines and a whole home generator but couldn’t run the risk of perhaps the gas being turned off in a natural disaster situation. So to me the only solutions was going solar with a battery pack and low and behold we arrive at Tesla Solar and Tesla PowerWall.

The process of getting it was sooooo simple. I submitted the online request, got a phone call, did the finance paperwork, they come out to the house did the survey, they did all the permitting, they did the install. VERY SIMPLE!!! The only things I had to do was fill out the request for information, take pictures, provide utility bills and get my HOA approval, that’s it!

So now I have the Single Pane of Tesla. The Tesla Model 3, Tesla Solar and Tesla PowerWalls. See the pictures.

E2266A3C-0726-4A35-855A-988835110DEF.jpeg

F6D75E5D-2B1C-4E70-A45C-EC808869D6CC.jpeg

F0170CAA-8011-4370-A6CD-750974A9FCEF.jpeg

B2FAB264-41BC-4B2F-A9C2-1CA841DBD8E3.jpeg

9B9F761E-548E-44B9-B9C7-4C11B2A6D829.jpeg

774FF22D-0977-45CF-A6F6-436321933B78.jpeg
Sponsored

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
Thanks, Hashtag. What's your system rated at?

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
As a fellow Houstonian asked me about my total Tesla package and another member asked me to make a Thread post, here it is...

So it all started 6 years ago and all I wanted was a Tesla. So for 5 years on the background of my cell phone I had the Tesla Logo, to constantly remind me the goals I had set for myself.

July 27, 2018 I finally got my Tesla Model 3 and installed my HPWC feeling so cool! As of today I currently have 37,445 miles on my car.

So fast forward to this year, moved to Houston and finally got settled in so it was time to move to stage two. I have wanted a solar system for so many years. So after going through Hurricane Harvey and dealing with no power for three days and living off of a generator I knew solar was the way to go. Of course there is always the natural gas lines and a whole home generator but couldn’t run the risk of perhaps the gas being turned off in a natural disaster situation. So to me the only solutions was going solar with a battery pack and low and behold we arrive at Tesla Solar and Tesla PowerWall.

The process of getting it was sooooo simple. I submitted the online request, got a phone call, did the finance paperwork, they come out to the house did the survey, they did all the permitting, they did the install. VERY SIMPLE!!! The only things I had to do was fill out the request for information, take pictures, provide utility bills and get my HOA approval, that’s it!

So now I have the Single Pane of Tesla. The Tesla Model 3, Tesla Solar and Tesla PowerWalls. See the pictures.

E2266A3C-0726-4A35-855A-988835110DEF.jpeg

F6D75E5D-2B1C-4E70-A45C-EC808869D6CC.jpeg

F0170CAA-8011-4370-A6CD-750974A9FCEF.jpeg

B2FAB264-41BC-4B2F-A9C2-1CA841DBD8E3.jpeg

9B9F761E-548E-44B9-B9C7-4C11B2A6D829.jpeg

774FF22D-0977-45CF-A6F6-436321933B78.jpeg
That is a sweet set up and I noticed that you had your garage floor epoxied. Looks very similar to mine and I cannot wait to see how the Cybertruck looks on it!

TXCYBRTK

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Model 3, CYBTRK (Foundation series)
Country flag
Thanks for the update! Congrats on the solar and power storage. I might wait until I have to replace the roof in a couple of years and just go with the glass tiles. But, first ... the Cybertruck to go with my MX. Just hoping no Hurricane Harvey repeats until then.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
It appears from the numbers that your demand is about 86 kWh/day. The 4 power walls will give you about 52 kWh so that will carry you for about about 1 - 2/3 days unless, of course, you institute load shedding in which case you can run a bit longer. Do you still have the generator in the system? If so I'd be interested in hearing how they interfaced that to the power-walls.

OP
OP
Hashtag

Hashtag

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Cyber Security / IT Services
Country flag
It appears from the numbers that your demand is about 86 kWh/day. The 4 power walls will give you about 52 kWh so that will carry you for about about 1 - 2/3 days unless, of course, you institute load shedding in which case you can run a bit longer. Do you still have the generator in the system? If so I'd be interested in hearing how they interfaced that to the power-walls.
No generator in play... I had an stand alone gas powered one for my old house and installed a power inlet box to connect the generator straight to the breaker. This house is straight solar and Powerwall now but you are right in the event of a total outage for a duration I would probably drop off some systems to maintain power longevity.

My home daily consumption averages at about 30kWh a day. See attached picture.

37A5DF8D-44B1-4DD4-A90B-62DB90A4BC14.png

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I based the consumption estimate on the usual sizing of solar systems to cover about 2/3 of the home owners annual consumption. Clearly your consumption is less than half of what I came up with and your power walls should thus sustain you for at least 4 days. That would certainly get you through 99.9% of power outages.

leducjjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 F150, 2011 Jeep Patriot
Country flag
Thank you for the post and info. I recently moved north of Houston after being flooded out in '16, '17, and almost again in the summer of '18.

Dealing with power loss was a major immediate issue as I sheltered in place in '17. My F150's gas engine was my power generator for my phone and other devices after the water subsided below the tailpipe. It's unlikely I'll be flooded where I am now but those experiences brought home the importance of self reliance when utilities are out and fuel isn't readily accessible.

I've pre-ordered a CT and am reviewing others' posts about electricity generation closely. Being without a vehicle because of lack of resources is more trouble than I'm comfortable with. I'm energy agnostic, so I'll happily use house current, fossil fuel, solar, even Mr Fusion as needed, hehe. If I need to run a portable gas generator to power up my CT to get to a power line I'll happily do so.

mggoulet

First Name
Michel Goulet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck with 3 motors
Occupation
retired
Country flag
As you see the roof of my house is facing 100% south... 10 miles from Vermont... so, in 10 years, the roof will be rdplaced by tesla shingle and we will put the tesla powerwall... and with the global warming... solar energy is very important... see our 3 panes windows +argon + lowe is heating the house with the sun penetrating minimum 20 feet inside... and for our 8,000 sq feet, we spend no mord than $3,000 for electricity bill per year... !!!
Sponsored