Toyota Developing Hydrogen Internal Combustion Engine

Sc0rPs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Toyota is and always has been anti-EV, how many millions have they wasted on hydrogen so far? Making claims there's no demand for EVs and all sorts of nonsense. They know an ICE means maintenance revenues.

May they go bankrupt with their idiot spending.
Sponsored

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Has Toyota not heard of Brown's gas?! This is old and backyard technology being presented as an improvement? To what? The P.E.M. fuel cell has a 60% efficiency over the 15 to 20% efficiency of combustion. This is a pathetic waste of time, money, and effort. If they don't start soon they won't have a company worth selling. B.E.V. has its own set of problems, but Tesla has launched it almost a decade ahead of everyone else!

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
Assuming that Toyota were to actually develop this technology to the point they were rolling them off the assembly line where are they going to get fuel? Nowhere in that fluff piece did I see a distribution system addressed. I doubt if any of the major oil companies will want a competing fuel sold in their stations.
Fueling a compressed gas vehicle is very different from pumping gas into a ICE vehicle. Anyone that has ever changed the propane or butane tank on a forklift or other LPG vehicle can attest to that.
Then there is the problem of making, storing, transporting this new planet saving fuel.
You can bet that the "not in my backyard" crowd will come out of the woodwork when a hydrogen refinery is proposed anywhere near a populated area.
There are already pipelines to move gasoline and diesel across vast distances to terminals where line haul trucks then pick up deliver them to already established fueling stations.
Will this hydrogen be produced locally?
Will it be as easy to access as petroleum fuel is now or will owners of these vehicles constantly have to plan their routes around fueling stations.
What about the safety issues of hydrogen.........a highly flammable colorless and odorless gas.
Remember the Hindenberg? There is a reason the airships switched to helium after the Hindenberg disaster.
People are already running around with their hair on fire because of a few fires in Teslas.
Wait till the first hydrogen tanker explodes in a major city or a couple of hydrogen vehicles blow up either from a crash or other cause.
How carbon neutral will hydrogen be once you factor in the resources it will take to produce it?
With the leaps in battery technology increasing the range of EV's, the more public chargers being built and the number of new players in the EV industry I think Toyota is barking up the wrong tree if they want to help Mother Earth heal.
Just my two cents worth.
Sponsored