jhciv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid Cybertruck; First Production Model 3
Country flag
For the engineering minded members out there, do we have any idea what type of motors the tri-motor powertrain is using? Elon recently said the plaid powertrain is "finished" since it is about to ship in the refreshed S/X.

I think all current dual motor Teslas use one permanent magnet switched reluctance motor (rear for 3/Y, front for S/X Raven powertrain) and one induction motor (front for 3/Y, rear for S/X). Please correct if that's wrong. Given the higher efficiency of PMSRM, I would guess the dual rear motors will be that flavor, but haven't seen anything to confirm or deny.
Sponsored

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
For the engineering minded members out there, do we have any idea what type of motors the tri-motor powertrain is using? Elon recently said the plaid powertrain is "finished" since it is about to ship in the refreshed S/X.

I think all current dual motor Teslas use one permanent magnet switched reluctance motor (rear for 3/Y, front for S/X Raven powertrain) and one induction motor (front for 3/Y, rear for S/X). Please correct if that's wrong. Given the higher efficiency of PMSRM, I would guess the dual rear motors will be that flavor, but haven't seen anything to confirm or deny.
I’m not an engineer, but wouldnt that most likely be the other way around?

Dual-motor vehicles, like my Model 3, can send power to the induction motor when immediate, rapid acceleration is called for, then shift power to the PMSRM as the vehicle gets up to speed.

So I assumed the motor “for range” (PMSRM) would be alone in the front, and the motors “for power”(induction), when needed, would be the two in the rear. The reasoning being you wouldn’t need to fire up two motors for just coasting.

The model 3 has the opposite arrangement of this, but the Model S and X (since the Model 3) has had the PMSRM in front and the induction one at the rear. I just assume the Plaid version therefore has two of the induction in the rear too.

This is all assuming they haven’t come up with a smart new motor type or have evolved PMSRM to be used all around.

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
I’m not an engineer, but wouldnt that most likely be the other way around?

Dual-motor vehicles, like my Model 3, can send power to the induction motor when immediate, rapid acceleration is called for, then shift power to the PMSRM as the vehicle gets up to speed.

So I assumed the motor “for range” (PMSRM) would be alone in the front, and the motors “for power”(induction), when needed, would be the two in the rear. The reasoning being you wouldn’t need to fire up two motors for just coasting.

The model 3 has the opposite arrangement of this, but the Model S and X (since the Model 3) has had the PMSRM in front and the induction one at the rear. I just assume the Plaid version therefore has two of the induction in the rear too.

This is all assuming they haven’t come up with a smart new motor type or have evolved PMSRM to be used all around.
We don't know the details about the motor arrangement in the refreshed S/X or Cybertruck yet. But as far as the arrangements and positions on 3/Y and Raven S/X it makes sense based on the following:
S/X are all AWD for the Raven refresh and Tesla could position the motors in a way that made the most sense for performance and efficiency.
3 were all RWD at first and even AWD rely on the rear drive unit as the master controller. So it makes sense that they would stick to the same layout of having the PMSRM in the rear to avoid changes.
Y could have been arranged similar to Raven S/X if the plan was to keep it only AWD. But it looks like there were at least some plans to make a RWD version, and it makes sense to keep things the same as Model 3.

OP
OP

jhciv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid Cybertruck; First Production Model 3
Country flag
Good points for having dual induction in the rear for power and the PMSRM in front for efficiency. Hope they've managed to eek a bit more efficiency out of both motor types, regardless of arrangement.
Sponsored