UPDATED PRICING (Post Inflation fears): Harley Livewire S2 Del Mar launching today at 12:40 CST

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Zero SR..
74 hp
122 ft lbs torque

104 mph max
0-60: 3.61 sec
weight: 414 lbs

del mar
84 hp
194 ft. lbs torque

103 mph max
0-60: 3 sec
weight: 436 lbs

This is where my comment that the performance is better on the del mar. Its got a ton more torque, more hp and faster acceleration. But the zero beats it hands down with range and charging speeds.
The actual text says the 3 seconds is an estimate, not to three positions of accuracy. Torque is measured at the motor, not the wheel, which can make the calculations different.

Zero got dinged on do that in the past. The weight you're quoting for the SR doesn't include the charger, I think.

-Crissa
Sponsored

OP
OP
Throwcomputer

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
The actual text says the 3 seconds is an estimate, not to three positions of accuracy. Torque is measured at the motor, not the wheel, which can make the calculations different.

Zero got dinged on do that in the past. The weight you're quoting for the SR doesn't include the charger, I think.

-Crissa
Sure the specs could be fudged, but given the del mar 0-60 time was initially stated as 3.5 sec and when they released the finalized specs including final ranges, they updated the 0-60 to 3 sec. So i'm guessing they are as accurate to the same degree as zero. I've ridden the LW1 which has a 0-60 of 3 sec and also the del mar which also states the same acceleration. My butt dyno said they are equal. :) The del mar actually felt faster, cause its lighter, and the wheel pops up off the ground, unlike the LW1. I have yet to ride a zero though so I can't compare my butt dyno on the livewires to the zero yet.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The Cypher 2 Zeros are intentionally limited at low speed for a dumb level of traction control.

So if the Del Mar feels as peppy as an original Livewire, then it's gonna be peppier than the Zero. And that's a good thing; bikes in this size feel so easy to control. Even with how powerful an Energica is, the Zeros feel lighter and more responsive.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Throwcomputer

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
The Cypher 2 Zeros are intentionally limited at low speed for a dumb level of traction control.

So if the Del Mar feels as peppy as an original Livewire, then it's gonna be peppier than the Zero. And that's a good thing; bikes in this size feel so easy to control. Even with how powerful an Energica is, the Zeros feel lighter and more responsive.

-Crissa
I wasn't sold on the del Mar until I rode it in July. It changed my mind and even got me to upgrade to the more expense launch edition. It is very comfortable and easy to maneuver. It's a bit higher stance than I would like.. 5'8" and I'm on the balls of my toes, but that only matters at a stop. Under speed I was finding it hard to keep within legal speed limits. It just begs you to launch it and you can't stop smiling the whole time. I tested the livewire one right after the del Mar and it felt more comfortable seat height for my height, but it was definitely heavier bike and just didn't have the same launch as the del Mar despite having the same exact acceleration. The 100 lbs weight loss really makes a difference in how the del Mar feels when both gunning it and weaving around. I even went and did another test on the del Mar right after the one just to confirm the butt Dyno differences and the del Mar is an improvement in almost every way.

It's just a shame they didn't put level 3 charging on it to combat the crap range. But it still works perfectly for my daily commuter at all hours of the day/night and in dense city traffic where my clutch hand goes numb normally.

I also felt I should invest in their future by purchasing this bike despite the range and charging issues I have with it because I love the look of it compared to any other EV motorcycle, and I hope that even my single purchase can help ensure they survive long enough to come out with better models with better range and charging.

OP
OP
Throwcomputer

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Btw, the del Mar has a secret driving mode you can only activate through a key pattern, called the flat tracker mode. It basically turns off all safety features, traction control, and wheelie prevention features, so that you can go all out. Didn't know about that when I tested, so I'm curious to feel that difference of the full raw power of the bike.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
Huh?