Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundi, susuki
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was wondering if anyone has experienced successful energy to grid with power utilities in Canada. If so, I guess it would be acceptable for V2G as well.
Particularly interested in Vancouver Island or Maritimes.

I will be moving back to Canada next year so have been scouting around for good locations, and V2G may be a factor with a Cybertruck or other newer Teslas.
Sponsored

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
I was wondering if anyone has experienced successful energy to grid with power utilities in Canada. If so, I guess it would be acceptable for V2G as well.
Particularly interested in Vancouver Island or Maritimes.

I will be moving back to Canada next year so have been scouting around for good locations, and V2G may be a factor with a Cybertruck or other newer Teslas.
No experince personally. But an acquaintance of mine was successfully providing power to grid from wind and solar generated on his property (Nanaimo, BC).
Vancouver island, more expensive than Maritimes, but none of the snow ;).

OP
OP

Rdmurphy

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundi, susuki
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No experince personally. But an acquaintance of mine was successfully providing power to grid from wind and solar generated on his property (Nanaimo, BC).
Vancouver island, more expensive than Maritimes, but none of the snow ;).
Thankyou, very helpful

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
But an acquaintance of mine was successfully providing power to grid from wind and solar generated on his property (Nanaimo, BC).
Other than a few experimental setups in Asia and Europe I don't think there is much V2G out there. Note that V2G is very different from "net metering" in which the homeowners electric meter is replaced by one that runs in either direction so that if you have solar panels or a windmill that are supplying energy to the grid the meter runs backward effectively reducing your consumption (meter readng) during the times when that's the case. In order for this to happen there have to be standards in place governing the behaviour of the connected equipment (solar inverter...) and the utility has to be on board. Investor owned utilities are very interested in solar - as long as you buy it from them. They are most unenthusiastic about net metering. Coops owned by aging hippies tend to be more likely to accept net metering but what you encounter varies widely dependent on type of utility and the local utilities commissions leanings (i.e. whom they are taking bribes from).

Quebec Hydro is even less enthusiastic about solar than the investor owned utility I deal with in the states. I have no idea about any of the other provinces.

There is technically no reason why the battery in a car could not back feed power to the grid. What is missing is standards that are as fully developed for cars as are for solar systems and utility acceptance of them. V2G makes sense in some circumstances (micro grids) but connection to a large utility system doesn't make a lot of sense for the consumer. Musk has noted this in remarks he has made publicly so I wouldn't count on V2G being available in the CT's - at least not in the early release versions.

OP
OP

Rdmurphy

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundi, susuki
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thank you for the thorough reply. I will wait to see what the future may bring, but more realistically being somewhat skeptical.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
First step for certain is to check out the policies/practices in your region. Check your utility's website. They are bound to have lots of stuff about how green they are. Within those pages you will probably find their policies on net metering,

Last edited:
OP
OP

Rdmurphy

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundi, susuki
Occupation
Retired