Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
  • Banned
It is an SUV with a roller door trunk. Now except for the .01% that are going to try and use this as a truck, that's a good thing.
Ya Know if VW hadn't already used the name "The Thing" for that funky WWII convertible in the 1970's I would strongly suggest The BiggEE name this thing, "The Thing."

It ain't a truck suv station wagon hatchback, or van.

Its a THING or "Summa" a lot of things.

When I think of (somewhat) driving this "Thing," I see myself sitting comfortably and "away" from the other three Adults, knowing wherever I am going I will get there economically and be proud while driving it and on arrival. That ain't a truck.

I have a reservation for a multitude of reasons. The ones involving the function of this "automobile" (come on many of us don't see it as even an automobile.) Are:
  • It won't fall apart if I don't wash it. (Yes this tops my list.)
  • It is big enough to be comfortable.It is big enough to be "The Party Wagon" locally... or to a tailgate. (Sheeit "Tailgating!?"...I haven't even heard anyone talking about that...)
  • It will be the best Station wagon/hatchback in the world. (Those Town and Country Station wagons can't even hold half this can." And longer road trips...mattress in the back.)
  • It is functionality weakest as a van... Comfy for adults, but not a work van...or work truck.

But it ain't a truck at all...it's more versatile than a truck... and not a truck. It wasn't even designed to be a truck, people that need a truck gripe about it more than all the other groups put together.
Sponsored

OP
OP

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
  • Banned
This isn't going to be so much about the vehicle as just the name..
Is it really going to be called "Cybertruck". It is not "Cyber" and it is not a "truck". Not really.
And that bothered me. Such a cool vehicle and it has the name an 8 year old would give it.
Cyber?
as in "relating to or characteristic of the culture of computers, information technology, and virtual reality. really? So it isn't that.
And now the meat...
"Truck."
I am 63. I know what a truck is...or what one was.... but now the word "truck" has no meaning...or a vastly different meaning than the actual definition. And that happened when non-truck people started buying trucks. Today the word truck means "ugly SUV with a funny trunk." people that use a truck as a truck hate this thing for exactly what makes a truck a truck. They hate the..
Floor ..too slick, too flat, too easy to get dirt stuck in the groove
Where the bed goes under the cab...can't tie things down at the front of the bed
Sides....not only can you not reach in to the bed, but flat rails have several uses.
So this "Thing" is just a very versatile, dependable, low-maintenance, extremely stylish from a utilitarian point of view, eco-friendly, spacious, maybe even economical "not a Truck."

Shumby

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (ordered), Nissan GTR, Nissan 370Z nismo, Infiniti FX50S, Dodge Dakota
Occupation
Sr. Maintance Engineer
Country flag
"
Cyber?
as in "relating to or characteristic of the culture of computers, information technology, and virtual reality. "

this is literally what is inside this thing including but not limited to the FSD.

Please explain how this is not a truck. it has a bed that can take a 3500 lbs load and can tow 14,000lbs.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
I second the use of Cyber as applicable and correct. Review camera, pushing for side view camera, fsd, 17inch screen with no dials, knobs or slides to operate anything, more tech than any other “truck” on the market.
As for “Truck” I agree that is too limiting in its description. It may not have flat bedsides, however this is old thinking. Yes you can throw a load in and tie it down easily with a flat bed, however a lot of loads need this as the bed sides are so low. Build up the sides and this solves one problem and makes a new one. There is a tie down track along the side of the bed that is better than any other truck on the market. There will be tie down points at the top where you can mount a rack to. Regularly loads need to be secured low down so the weight is secured close to the frame and the tension is below the centre of gravity. The CT changes this with the exoskeleton, weight and low center of gravity.
You cannot solve today’s problems with the same thinking that got you to where you are. The CT is a change and the change adverse will always struggle to see why it occurred until they see it in action. The “We have always done it this way” crowd would hold back every innovation, however use it today. Just look at the smart phone, home computer, hell even the wheel probably had its detractors when it was introduced.

OP
OP

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
  • Banned
Cyber ,,,AND virtual reality. It is reality. And My Dodge Colt back in 1988 had a computer. And except for the Self driving aspect it is not much different than my wife's 2019 corolla as far as computers and safety advancements.
Truck... well if having a bed makes it a truck then I can't argue...except it doesn't. It has a modified trunk, with a real cool lid.
And People are not going to do truck things with it.
Look my point is that the word "truck"is no longer a specific vehicle either in form or function. And this does so much more than a truck. But tradesmen are NOT going to want this truck for work.
Truck now means "SUV with a funny trunk."

Shumby

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (ordered), Nissan GTR, Nissan 370Z nismo, Infiniti FX50S, Dodge Dakota
Occupation
Sr. Maintance Engineer
Country flag
people are't going to do truck things with it?

well I guess you know everyone that pre-ordered.

i will put a 1/2 yard of rock in the back of this. Cannot do that with my SUV.

Where does it was a trades man has to use it to be a truck? Plus I will bet money it will be.

i guess My Dodge Dakota is not a truck either as it will do less "truck stuff" then the cyber truck.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I wanna see video of Elon driving down the freeway with a big ole refrigerator standing up in the back of his Cybertruck. Put a sign on it "YES THIS IS A TRUCK!" HAHAHAHA
Actually though I get what you mean, it's much more than JUST a truck.

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
I'm with Luke oe hundred percent. Below is a copy of my comments from Dec 7.
Automatic tonneau bed cover retracting and deploying

I don't want anything to do with the back seats. After giving a few friends and relatives a joyride I will almost definitely rip them out and build something useful in their place. You guys just don't get it. A truck carries things. Heavy things.

truck [ truhk ]
noun
1. any of various forms of vehicle for carrying goods and materials, usually consisting of a single self-propelled unit but also often composed of a trailer vehicle hauled by a tractor unit.
2. any of various wheeled frames used for transporting heavy objects.

.... carrying goods and materials
... transporting heavy objects.
There's nothing about carrying people in the definition of truck.

Yes, there are four door trucks, but 98 percent of you guys don't have one. What you have is a car with a truck-like feature of a short bed.
If you and three of your 250 pound buddys go fishing, and you each have a hundred pounds of gear, your car is technically overloaded. Look at the springs, look at the door sticker.
Six People? You mean a station wagon. Maybe you can call it a bus... but it's only a truck in the barest minimum. I don't think it even qualifies.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
I guess I am the opposite. I try to use my SUV as a truck. That is why the dash is scratched from hauling lumber and pipe in it. Why the roof liner is ripped from filling it so full. Had it loaded with large rocks so full that the suspension is bottomed out. I run a little trailer around to do the other truck stuff that my SUV won’t. Hell I have put 2 dead deer in the back while hunting. If that is what you mean by it being like an SUV than I agree. I am going to do truck stuff with the CT that my SUV just does not do well. The reason I drive an SUV over a truck is the covered storage for the equipment I carry and leave in it in the elements. I used to have a truck with a cover and it was not ideal because it was not a roll top. My SUV has seen more truck use and off road driving than most trucks I see driving around. I too classify the CT as different than a truck because it is not less of a truck than a F150, but because it can do most of the F150 stuff better, has the speed of a sports car and more utility than any other class of vehicle.

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
I have been laughing at the springs on those four door shortbeds for at least a decade....
Having said all that, here's some further thoughts after a month's reflection.
Things I like about cybertruck.

Acceleration, been a long time since I rock and rolled.

Don't forget the Frunk. It's gonna be big.
There's no real info on it yet, but I think it's gonna be cavernous like a 1973 cadillac trunk.
The amount of tools you can throw in there....

Air Springs are gonna be very cool. Adjusts to all situations. Heavy load to off-road..
It simultaneously has the lowest and highest ground clearance in the segment.
Don't tell me it's weak, most tractor-trailers use it.
Definitely a different, smoother ride than we are used to, not sure if it will be too spongy.
If they lower the ride height for highway speeds, won't that make it extra spongy?

The T-slots in the bed are still something of a question mark.
I think if you throw a load of gravel in there, T-Slots will be clogged up solid.
Maybe throw a rubber mat down, and leave it there most of the time.

But look at the side rail tie point. Tesla did say "L-Track" amiright?
I saw a guy that had these last year and instantly wanted them for me.
Bed Side L-Track - on cybertruckownersclub forum

The 3mm stainless steel they will be using is like 12 gauge steel.
Have you seen this? The 12 gauge tube is 2-1/4 inch with 7/32 wall width.
Can you imagine your vehicle's body being made of this?
I want a ladder rack badly. I think the way to do it might be simply weld 1" tube directly to the body. There's no paint.
A skilled welder could even make it look good.
Tesla Cybertruck Versatility? This ain't a truck. 12-Gauge-14-Gauge1-600x333

Put an F-150's pop-can metal next to that.

[edited: it's 7/32 not 7/16]

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Cyber ,,,AND virtual reality. It is reality. And My Dodge Colt back in 1988 had a computer. And except for the Self driving aspect it is not much different than my wife's 2019 corolla as far as computers and safety advancements.
Truck... well if having a bed makes it a truck then I can't argue...except it doesn't. It has a modified trunk, with a real cool lid.
And People are not going to do truck things with it.
Look my point is that the word "truck"is no longer a specific vehicle either in form or function. And this does so much more than a truck. But tradesmen are NOT going to want this truck for work.
Truck now means "SUV with a funny trunk."
I ordered 1 and I do handyman for work. I'm excited I can use the frunk for tools instead of the back seat and still have the bed available to haul the supplies from home depot.

Snuups

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Please explain how this is not a truck. it has a bed that can take a 3500 lbs load and can tow 14,000lbs.
Fur us Europeans a truck is a large transport vehicle from a 3.5 ton lorry to a 40 ton truck. What you call a truck is just a pickup. Nothing more, nothing less. Lazyness made the Name. Truck is shorter to say then Pickup.

people are't going to do truck things with it?

well I guess you know everyone that pre-ordered.

i will put a 1/2 yard of rock in the back of this. Cannot do that with my SUV.

Where does it was a trades man has to use it to be a truck? Plus I will bet money it will be.

i guess My Dodge Dakota is not a truck either as it will do less "truck stuff" then the cyber truck.
Seeing how pickups are generally used no. But there will be prople who use it to earn money with it.