Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck RWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Hello Everyone,
I'm not very experienced with towing, but I'm getting the single motor CT and was wondering if the 7000+LB towing capacity is a hard limit? or what is recommended for continued use to not damage the truck?
like, if for example you can tow a 9000LB tiny house in city if you need, for a local movement, once every few years?
Or one "longer" 300 move, but still very sporadically.
Does it usually workout fine with other trucks? F150 and so?
Sponsored

OP
OP

cebrian94

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck RWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I guess the longer 300 mile or so move would be more out of the question, do you know if you need to get in the scales while towing with a pick up truck?, but a local 20 mile move where you keep the heat in check at slow speeds and you obviously take all risk to yourself, would not be too bad on the actual truck.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
what Rusty said.
sure you can do it and probably harm nothing, especially if its short range, low speeds, it should be fine. the 300 mile trip I wouldnt do, being 2klbs over the rating

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Hello Everyone,
I'm not very experienced with towing, but I'm getting the single motor CT and was wondering if the 7000+LB towing capacity is a hard limit? or what is recommended for continued use to not damage the truck?
like, if for example you can tow a 9000LB tiny house in city if you need, for a local movement, once every few years?
Or one "longer" 300 move, but still very sporadically.
Does it usually workout fine with other trucks? F150 and so?
Buying an undersized Cybertruck is the single worst idea I’ve heard yet. The motors are too small, will over heat and there you are! Stuck, powerless or worse. No doubt it would melt a $30k nickel/lithium battery pack. Maybe it lights off the Ct, too.

Hire a Dodge Ram buddy with a 1 ton to pull it the 5 times in 7 yrs. you need to move. Save $60k. That’s the best advice I got.

OP
OP

cebrian94

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck RWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Buying an undersized Cybertruck is the single worst idea I’ve heard yet. The motors are too small, will over heat and there you are! Stuck, powerless or worse. No doubt it would melt a $30k nickel/lithium battery pack. Maybe it lights off the Ct, too.

Hire a Dodge Ram buddy with a 1 ton to pull it the 5 times in 7 yrs. you need to move. Save $60k. That’s the best advice I got.
I mean, the thing is I don't have anything to tow now, the tiny house may be a thing or not in 5 years. And I have never had to tow anything in the past 20 years that I have driven, so I'm not getting it undersized yet.
But I agree it would be a best idea to get friends with more towing capacity than us. They will be delighted to trade trucks for a day or 2 ?

Last edited:

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
It´s 14K for the trimotor AWD, 10K for the dual motor AWD, and 7K for the single motor rear wheel drive

The rated GVRW will be dependent on the tow hitch receiver rating.

The 7k, 10k, and 14k rating fall right in line with commercially available receivers, btw.

Think Jeep or SUV 7k, F150 or 1500 and 2500 series pickup 10k, F350 SRW and nearly all duallys 14k.

I'm willing to bet the CT subframes, exo, suspension, etc. will all be the same across all three CT models. The tow rating will be dependent on the receiver. (Motors may be different too, certainly the number of motors will be different).

The GVRW on the data tag is the legal limit. If you exceed that, and have an accident, insurance can (and has) deny coverage. Also, if Tesla can prove it, deny warranty.

You can upgrade the receiver and for all intents and purposes take the 7k rated CT and tow 14k. Safety wise, it could be fine provided all other chassis component are the same across the models. But you still have the legal issue.

I see SRW F350s towing these HUGE 5th wheel campers all the time. I will bet 50% are overweight. I owned a trailer dealership in a former life, and it was all too common that some contractor would buy a huge trailer, have the right truck, but replaced the tires with cheaper ones that had a lower weight rating of the original tires!

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
Tow rating is not dependent on the receiver hitch. The reciever hitch could be the limiting factor, but that is just one possibility. There are heavy duty pick ups that come with 10k reciever hitches that have 14k tow rating, to tow at the limit, you need an upgraded hitch. The axles and cooling (for ICE) are usually the more important aspects, though brakes, tires, frame/hitch, gear ratio and other considerations are also important.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
This is true.

My Ram dually can "tow" or pull 23k pounds, but the receiver is rated for 14k.

If I installed a goosneck or 5th plate, then I could pull the full rated capacity.
Sponsored