Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
You handle deer by not responding if you're going too fast.

I don't see anything wrong with the way FSD is dealing with it, or Autopilot.

-Crissa
going too fast
I get what you are saying. But I would expect FSD cameras to be able to see deer fairly far ahead and then slowing down in anticipation of a deer possibly crossing in front of the car. The slower the car is going the more options become available. But sure, if you donā€™t see the deer till the very last second, it would be safer to hit the deer and stay in control of the vehicle than to veer and end up off the side of the road at high speed.

I guess Iā€™m expecting the cameras to have superhuman abilities to see and respond to things I wouldnā€™t be able to.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
They're not superhuman yet.

But FSD is getting much better at seeing them. You can find many videos of Autopilot - with its much more primitive stack - weaving around deer or predicting dogs. It just has a much lower threshold than a good human driver. Currently.

-Crissa

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
They're not superhuman yet.

But FSD is getting much better at seeing them. You can find many videos of Autopilot - with its much more primitive stack - weaving around deer or predicting dogs. It just has a much lower threshold than a good human driver. Currently.

-Crissa
Speaking of dogs, I was once hit by a dog. Notice, I did not hit the dog. The dog hit me.

On a side street going slowly through an intersection where I had right of way and the cross street had stop signs. It had been a sunny afternoon but lightning and thunder had just started and there was the warm humid air of an approaching storm. As I proceed through the intersection, I suddenly see a huge dog running like a hellhound straight at me full tilt, head cocked backwards looking at the sky. I slam on the brakes and stop. The dog then rams into the passenger side rear panel with a huge thud. Then I see the dog continue itā€™s run down the street after navigating behind my car. The dog is gone. So I start going again. I go about 5 blocks, just astonished at what happened, thinking about the absurdity of my car getting hit by a dog. Then I wonder if the dog did any damage to my car so I stop and get out to check. There isnā€™t any visible damage. As I go to get back in my car, I look back to the intersection where I got hit. There is some person standing in the middle of the intersection staring at me. I was definitely not going to go back and face some stranger who might reinterpret what happened as somehow being my fault and their crazed wild off leash dog being somehow injured. But I still wonder how the dog made out. Iā€™m guessing it had a serious lump on the back of its head and probably a killer headache for a while.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Iā€™ve wondered though why it seems like deer are so hard to respond to. I thought I read somewhere that the cameras were capable of seeing infrared. If so, I would expect the cameras to be capable of seeing deer in the dark long before a human eye. But maybe the system just hasnā€™t had enough samples to train off of yet.
Deer can be particularly difficult to predict.

You don't want the car to swerve or brake hard to avoid an animal or person who is not in your path. That can be as dangerous as hitting the animal.

Though I've seen some videos with deer moving in a straight line where AP hasn't dodged.

Some of this I think is just the fact that we have a pretty big gap in functionality between current shipped AP and FSD. I think things have gotten a lot better but it's just not widely available yet.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
Personal experience is that cats, squirrels, raccoons, skunk, etc are pretty regular animals that get into difficult scenarios.
My experience with Rocky Raccoon cost me 3500 bucks. Dead centered him on a two lane road at night running about 60.
The Elantra did not fare well.
Not sure how FSD would handle a situation like that.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
My experience with Rocky Raccoon cost me 3500 bucks. Dead centered him on a two lane road at night running about 60.
The Elantra did not fare well.
Not sure how FSD would handle a situation like that.
Yes, raccoons can get large enough to cause damage. But at least $3500 wasn't a total loss of the vehicle. I've totaled a vehicle from hitting a deer before. My fear with FSD not slowing down for deer is what will happen in the case of moose or cattle. Many kinds of deer are small enough to damage the vehicle without taking out the front seat passengers. But moose and cattle at any highway speed can easily take out any and all humans in the compartment. Not sure how CT Alon glass windshield will deal with a moose getting cut off at the knees and hitting the windshield at full force.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
Yes, raccoons can get large enough to cause damage. But at least $3500 wasn't a total loss of the vehicle. I've totaled a vehicle from hitting a deer before. My fear with FSD not slowing down for deer is what will happen in the case of moose or cattle. Many kinds of deer are small enough to damage the vehicle without taking out the front seat passengers. But moose and cattle at any highway speed can easily take out any and all humans in the compartment. Not sure how CT Alon glass windshield will deal with a moose getting cut off at the knees and hitting the windshield at full force.
I was headed north out of Atlanta in a Freightliner pulling a 5000 gallon tanker full of HAZMAT. I was keeping up with the flow of traffic (meaning I was running about 80).
I was in the right lane with cars passing me like I was backing up.
A little tuner Honda came flying past me with a big SUV dead on his ass.
About that time Bambi came flying out of the median and the Honda hit it about knee high.
The deer went over the Honda (didn't even touch the roof) and dead centered the windshield of the SUV.
The Honda maintained his lane and locked up the brakes which allowed me to continue on without having to brake. I looked in my mirror and saw the SUV in a skid with the other cars that had been dead on her ass taking what evasive action they could.
Due to DOT regulations I could not pull the tanker over on the shoulder so I don't know how this ended up.
Scenarios like this is what is going to be a problem with FSD.
Education in some situations is worthless without practical knowledge.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Autopilot will dodge deer.

FSD will do better. Right now it doesn't know about ice and snow, but it'll learn.

And it is stable enough to beat the moose test, and will alert you to take over right now.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Last edited: