When Do You Think the Fremont plant will restart? Is Elon Musk investigating other options?

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mercedes Sprinter 2500
Occupation
Retired surgical oncologist
Country flag

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150
Country flag
Elon is pretty smart, I don't think he will cut off his nose to spite his face, I suspect things will go unchanged, perhaps he will throw some money at getting people elected that are of like mind.

OP
OP
Handy Artie

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Elon is all about “putting the pedal to the metal” which is a life is too short philosophy. The world’s largest automobile company, Toyota, chose this approach at Fremont more than a decade ago. I don’t see Elon as someone who wastes money on politicians.. I don’t think he considers them a good investment.

OP
OP
Handy Artie

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
After all, Elon is indeed shopping the Red states for a Cybertruck Gigafactory. What do you think of offering Fremont as a consolation prize to Joplin, MO or Wichita, KS or Nashville, TN? They’re only a Tesla Semi caravan away from Fremont. CA isn’t really into capitalism anyway. It’s too bad we can’t ask Cesar Chavez for his opinion on the matter.
The irony is that the only currently active Tesla assembly line is in a truly Red State, Shanghai. So Tesla 3’s and Y’s with Chinese batteries will remain easily accessible to the Port of Oakland if Californians not involved in politics can afford them.

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150
Country flag
You may call Texas a red state, but I'm sure you can't call Austin anything but blue. Elon would like to build where top engineers want to go, and raise a family. I don't see top jobs running to KS or MO, perhaps running from. BTW, I don't think Elon really has to throw money at politicians, supporting those running against them will get his point accross.

OP
OP
Handy Artie

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I agree. But Nashville as a replacement for Fremont, has no state income tax and beats the hell out of Fremont now that the Raiders are in Las Vegas.
I kind of think the Cybertruck is destined to be built near Brownsville, TX not far from Boca Chica’s Space X launchpad..
Lots of police forces in MX have departmental orders in. But I would think the cartels will go for the Cybertruck plaid..

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150
Country flag
The next decade is going to be fun, going from half a million vehicles to 20 million (I hope) having factories all over the world.

OP
OP
Handy Artie

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
There’s no doubt in my mind that Tesla is destined to join the S&P 500 shortly. Then the question becomes which DJIA company does Tesla eventually replace. But the company really can’t afford to be stuck in the mud of California politics right now.. It doesn’t have Apple’s clout from broad spectrum Customer appeal.. Tesla’s customers still tend to own their own houses. Maybe Elon should consider putting Tim Cook on the Board some day.

Iacemoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ram 1500 <> 1970 Chevy C10 Stepside Custom
Occupation
Drug Dealer
Country flag
I think eventually fremont will be phased out. If Shnaghai starts to outpace fremont that could be an indication they might lean that way. I wouldnt be shocked if a year from now they are neck and neck production wise.

Building the machine that builds the machine. The Giga factory layout in China is going to show what a design from the ground up can achieve. Fremont is just a means to an end.

I dont see how they can abandon that location in the short term though. Maybe in like 5+ years.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I think eventually fremont will be phased out. If Shnaghai starts to outpace fremont that could be an indication they might lean that way. I wouldnt be shocked if a year from now they are neck and neck production wise.

Building the machine that builds the machine. The Giga factory layout in China is going to show what a design from the ground up can achieve. Fremont is just a means to an end.

I dont see how they can abandon that location in the short term though. Maybe in like 5+ years.
Most likely, they'll shift production over time. Maybe they build the S and Roadster there as soon as they build a really efficient 3/Y plant somewhere more centralized. Those two vehicles are too similar to not share a production line. However, I'll bet the 3 all but ceases to exist soon as the step to a MY is not very much and sedans don't typically sell very well.

stumby

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P90D
Country flag
Most likely, they'll shift production over time. Maybe they build the S and Roadster there as soon as they build a really efficient 3/Y plant somewhere more centralized. Those two vehicles are too similar to not share a production line. However, I'll bet the 3 all but ceases to exist soon as the step to a MY is not very much and sedans don't typically sell very well.
Interesting thought. Do you think the S would go away too, leaving only the Y and Cybertruck as the only passenger vehicles?

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Elon ain't perfect. But at the time Fremont was what looked right to him. Only because he didn't know the rest of the USA is so different(Better for businesses especially manufacturing). He went from Canada to California. He thought Cali was normal.
At the very least he should get his headquarters out of Cali for the tax benefit. he can "live" in Cali, especially since he spends most of his time on the road. So they can't steal the income he makes outside of Cali. And I definitely wouldn't have my residence listed inside of California.
I was in california in the 20th century, and the cashiers union was on strike. Regular old cashiers at grocery stores were on strike. they were already getting $16/hr. They wanted $19. over 3x minimum wage for a cashier. And it has gotten much more extreme.

OP
OP
Handy Artie

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Well, it looks like Alameda County isn’t comfortable with letting assembly line employees go back to work in Fremont just yet because they may threaten the lives of elderly and infirm people who are currently locked down/in. Let’s look at the CDC numbers for today.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/county-map.html

There have been 67 deaths from Covid 19 to date in Alameda county. There is very little mortality in surrounding counties where probably most Tesla workers live. There are most likely no reports of mortality for Tesla factory workers. It seems highly unlikely that Tesla assembly line workers pose a mortal threat to themselves or at risk elderly and infirm residents of the county as they drive to and from work. What we have here is a failure to understand the importance of allowing herd immunity to develop in immunocompetent healthy workers and students in order to restore the mobility and liberty to the elders locked in. The real threat arises from ignorance or hostility of newly empowered county bureaucrats with a political agenda that suppresses herd immunity in those with minimal risk from Covid19 infection.

OP
OP
Handy Artie

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The longer politicians suppress herd immunity in the low mortality risk from infection youthful majority the more likely the socially isolated but at risk groups who are elderly and infirm will contract the infection and die. When students and workers develop immunity from non lethal infection by the virus, the epidemic dies out before the at risk home bound are accidentally infected. That’s scenario is currently playing out in densely settled counties in New York and everyone is being locked down/ in.

K Doc Brown 007

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Fusion & 2019 Jeep Rubicon
Country flag
I wouldn’t be surprised if Elon says fu to the lack of freedoms/ liberties under the progressive liberal agenda of California. It’s a smart business decision. Oddly it’s not about politics... Elon is not about politics. He’s a free intellectual thinker. California is being a pita to him and his business. If someone/ something is a pain to me and my business, I’ll go somewhere they want me.
Sponsored