Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda ridgeline
Occupation
Electrician/inventor/retired
Country flag
I live on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. it is a $200 and two hour ferry ride to my nearest Tesla service station in Vancouver. I might also have to rent the room for the night. What are the chances of this changing (how fast are they putting in new service centres ) over the course of two years while I wait for my cyber truck? Or can any service centre work on it
Sponsored

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck, P3D- Tesla Model 3 Stealth Performance, 4Runner TRD/ORP, F350 diesel dually
Country flag
That's not likely to change anytime soon. My nearest service center is over 500 miles away. Two good things here, the first is that there is no routine service with a Tesla, rotate the tires and add windshield washer fluid. The second is that Tesla has "Rangers", mobile service folks who will come to your house and do what needs to be done, without cost to you for travel. The Rangers cannot take care of everything, but many issues yes.

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck, P3D- Tesla Model 3 Stealth Performance, 4Runner TRD/ORP, F350 diesel dually
Country flag
I'm assuming mobile service works the same in Canada as in the US. Folks from Canada?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Well it took a while to figure out but I finally got it. At first it would ask me to enter the address at which I wanted service and I would do that and the app would just freeze. I tried this dozens of times and finally decided I'd have to take it into Montreal so I booked an appointment there which was accepted and acknowledged and then, a day later, rescheduled in Virginia where I took delivery. After a couple of iterations with that I decided that the system was not going to service me in Montreal and so back to Ranger. After similar problems it occurred to me that maybe you can't just put in any address but rather have to select one of the addresses the app prompts you with. Tried that and bingo - got an appointment for ranger service at an address that does not, in fact, actually exist but was close to mine - close enough that I figured when they called to say they were on the way I could vector them to my actual address. That worked. The rest of the story is that they couldn't do anything when they got there because while their mother ship would let them connect it wouldn't let them log in. So I suggested taking the car back to the street I logged the appointment for and that worked.

Other than that the service was great: two really nice brothers one of whom had joined Tesla and talked the other one into coming along too. I did think it strange that one repairs a broken passenger seat by "reprogramming it" but that's what they did.

OP
OP
cyberbear

cyberbear

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda ridgeline
Occupation
Country flag
Let’s hear more about this mobile service

OP
OP
cyberbear

cyberbear

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda ridgeline
Occupation
Country flag
It’s OK I googled it and found out they are expanding ,so kudos to Tesla . I knew I bought the right vehicle

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Let’s hear more about this mobile service
I keep forgetting that the majority of people here are not current Tesla owners.

It was not too long ago that Tesla was keeping track of pencil stubs in order to save every penny they could in order to avoid winking out, They analyze their repair service and found that a majority of repairs were relatively simple and could easily be done at the owners premises thus obviating the need for a visit to a service center and all the associated overhead.

You use the Tesla smartphone app to schedule an appointment, You may get a text message requesting photos, more info etc, and they may download data from your car or even fix it over the air in some cases. By the time your appointment comes round they have a pretty good idea as to whether the repair can be done in the field, have had time to order any parts they think they may need or get them from a local depot etc. On the day the technician comes to you house or place of business and does the repair.

keyhere

First Name
Key
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic, KLX250S
Occupation
EE
Country flag
I live on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. it is a $200 and two hour ferry ride to my nearest Tesla service station in Vancouver. I might also have to rent the room for the night. What are the chances of this changing (how fast are they putting in new service centres ) over the course of two years while I wait for my cyber truck? Or can any service centre work on it
Lucky, on the east coast I'm exactly 1000km (almost 10hr drive) to the nearest service center.

CyberSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
TheOffGridCabin.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-Motor FSD
Occupation
Military Helicopter Pilot
Country flag
I’m in Dartmouth Nova Scotia, which is 1,015kms from the nearest service center. Fingers crossed Halifax gets a Tesla service center (and at least one supercharger “in” the city) before our delivery. Or at least, within a year after delivery. I’d feel a lot more comfortable having a few qualified service techs in the area at the very least.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Yes, Tesla does seem unaware that the Maritimes are out there.

There may already be some qualified techs in your area if Ranger Service is available. If it is I doubt they come all the way from Montreal or Boston every day.

keyhere

First Name
Key
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic, KLX250S
Occupation
EE
Country flag
I've been told they come as needed and try to do a few service calls on one trip, so if its not an urgent thing they'll try to schedule a trip within a few days or weeks of the call to hit multiple issues at once.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I'm sure they do try to refine their schedule so as to minimize travel time. However the reality of the moment is that Service is not at the top of most Tesla owner's list of "things I like about Tesla". Be it Ranger or SC the first appointment you can get for most things is a week or more out. Horror stories about waiting months for parts can be found all over the forums. My personal experiences haven't been that bad and I think things are getting better. They'd better be.

My impression from chatting with the Rangers is that they have a territory but I don't know how big. I'm sure it depends on the density of Tesla owners in a particular area. In the summer I live near Magog, PQ which is only an hour from Montreal (well, used to be) and the population is largely people from Montreal for the weekend or week. Clearly Tesla's are going to be thicker there (2 on my Descent of 25 houses) and I expect the territory around Magog is smaller than, say, the one that serves Fogo island (there is at least one Tesla there).

What I'd suggest you guys do is go to https://teslamotorsclub.com/ and ask about Ranger service where you live.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I'm sure they do try to refine their schedule so as to minimize travel time. However the reality of the moment is that Service is not at the top of most Tesla owner's list of "things I like about Tesla". Be it Ranger or SC the first appointment you can get for most things is a week or more out. Horror stories about waiting months for parts can be found all over the forums. My personal experiences haven't been that bad and I think things are getting better. They'd better be.

My impression from chatting with the Rangers is that they have a territory but I don't know how big. I'm sure it depends on the density of Tesla owners in a particular area. In the summer I live near Magog, PQ which is only an hour from Montreal (well, used to be) and the population is largely people from Montreal for the weekend or week. Clearly Tesla's are going to be thicker there (2 on my Descent of 25 houses) and I expect the territory around Magog is smaller than, say, the one that serves Fogo island (there is at least one Tesla there).

What I'd suggest you guys do is go to https://teslamotorsclub.com/ and ask about Ranger service where you live.
But it's not just a question of having a local service center. One opened near me in Kitchener, Ontario, about a year ago. They don't answer emails, and I've never seen anyone in the place (although the charging stations on their lot seemed to be working). Wish I knew where to ask what's going on with them.

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
I'm also on Vancouver Island. We've owned a M3 for a year and half now and the thought has crossed my mind, ie if it needed repair then what. I'd have to go to go to the mainland. Services is almost discouraged in that really you should go in before the 4 yr warranty is up just in case they can catch something, other than that, servicing is not a huge concern. Maybe every 4 years to replace battery coolant. That said, I do hope some enterprising individual on the island starts up a Tesla mobile service.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have to drive 14 miles to a Tesla Service Center in Honolulu. Hey, that’s far for a small island.
Sponsored