Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Why Isn’t Everyone Buying EVs Yet? It’s Not Just The Price

If you engage in a lot of conversations about electric vehicles on social media, you start to see common themes emerging. The national grid can’t cope; they catch fire spontaneously; they can only drive 50 miles, particularly in winter; they’re built using rare minerals mined by children in the Congo; all the electricity required to charge them comes from coal anyway – and so on. Rather than rebuffing each one of these in turn (perhaps a future article), there’s a deeper underlying reason for all this hate. It’s not the (admittedly high) price that is why people aren’t running with arms open and buying EVs in droves yet; there appears to be a concerted hate campaign against them. But why, and where is it coming from?

The high price is something that can’t be denied. Most EVs are still at least £10,000 ($13,000) more expensive than equivalent internal combustion engine (ICE) models. That is a major disincentive for purchase, despite the grants in lots of countries, particularly France. But the resistance you see online, which is rather reminiscent of social media-fuelled political arguments, isn’t usually about the price – it seems to be driven by a fundamental dislike for change, and the lack of EV options for different vehicular needs. There are lots of luxury EV SUVs, but surprisingly no estate cars / station wagons at all, for example.

960x0.jpg

WM Motor is a promising EV startup in China, that is yet to break out of the local market.

© 2018 BLOOMBERG FINANCE LP
“The reason there is not so much choice in the EV market is because existing manufacturers don’t want to sell electric cars,” says Rupert Mitchell, Chief Strategy Officer at Chinese EV manufacturer WM Motor. Mitchell argues that it’s no surprise that the major players in the EV space are not incumbent manufacturers, but disruptive newcomers like his company and Tesla TSLA +1.8%. Although EV sales are growing fast – up 175% year-on-year in the UK by July 2020, for example – they’re still less than 5% of overall car sales in Britain. For most incumbents, that means at least 95% of their sales are still ICE, so there are only limited incentives for creating electric platforms.

With 95% of your cars still being ICE, you’re going to continue to focus heavily on developing that platform, rather than putting major funds towards upstart new electric ones. There are also issues with automotive industry workers and their powerful unions being worried about losing their jobs. The workers can be retrained, but EV manufacturing requires fewer people. China is less affected by this, because its ICE car industry was rather poor compared to the US or Europe’s, and therefore it has lots of promising EVs that are mostly still for domestic consumption. But a lot of China’s automotive industry is based on joint ventures, many of which are with VW. So even in China the EV focus is on entrepreneurial startups rather than incumbents.

A further reluctance comes from the dealerships. A recent UK blind buyer survey revealed that most manufacturers with EVs available had very poor online purchasing systems, and constantly tried to funnel buyers to their showrooms instead. There, salespeople had very little knowledge of EVs, making it genuinely hard to actually buy one. Anecdotal accounts of showrooms in the US allege salespeople there try to actively discourage EV sales, instead directing customers back to ICE. This is likely because car sales margins are traditionally low, and they make their money selling aftermarket service packages – which are almost not needed with EVs, particularly when they are fully connected, allowing remote management and diagnostics. EV manufacturers therefore don’t just have to change the technology itself but fight the incumbent sales model that simply doesn’t fit the low-maintenance nature of EVs.

960x0.jpg

Tesla's shares have enjoyed a nearly six-fold increase in value over the last year.

STATISTA
However, it’s clear that the reluctance of incumbent manufacturers to address the EV market with gusto has left the door wide open for Tesla in particular, as well as other newcomers, who don’t have that baggage to contend with. When Tesla became the most valuable car company in June, it felt like it could be a blip. But Tesla’s shares had increased in value nearly six-fold year-on-year by August 12th, and the company is now clearly ahead of its next biggest competitor Toyota – in fact 38% more valuable. It’s ironic that Toyota doesn’t have a battery electric vehicle strategy at all, instead focusing on hybrids and fuel cell electric vehicles, which show no signs whatsoever of being popular in the consumer vehicle space. Tesla has not only built innovative vehicles on brand new EV-only platforms, but also its own refuelling network and a sales model that eschews traditional showrooms, with a very slick online experience.

960x0.jpg

Tesla is now 38% more valuable than its nearest competitor, Toyota.

STATISTA
However, EVs aren’t all about taking all your fossil fuel cars and making them electric. There’s also a significant shift in the way we transport ourselves, which has been further accentuated by the Covid pandemic. In the UK, electric scooters have been fast-tracked with government funding to provide a potential green solution to personal city transportation. Companies like IRP Systems are focusing on drivetrains for this emerging market. “There’s a separation between urban mobility versus long-distance,” says Moran Price, CEO of IRP Systems. “We’re seeing a shift to personal commuting, and a jump towards electric two-wheel platforms.” This also opens up a possible door for countries where two-wheel transport is more the norm, like India. Take a look at the electric motorcycles available in India already, and you will be surprised by how many options there are as well as their low price. These could be very promising imports. Without incumbents, this market faces much less resistance because it’s entirely new, rather than fighting against powerful existing players that want to protect their lucrative corporate models.

For cars, however, there will be years of struggle against the hate campaigns. It’s clear that the uphill struggle for EVs isn’t about whether they are any good, or specifically tackling the negative arguments against them cited at the beginning of this article. If you’ve driven an EV, with an open mind, you will have realised how effortless and smooth it is. EVs are not perfect, and they do cost more, but in many ways EVs are now just better than their fossil fuel forebears – cleaner, requiring less maintenance, faster, more reliable, even more spacious. That’s not going to be enough for EVs to succeed, however. There are a lot of vested interests in fossil fuel vehicles – not just the fuel industry itself, or even the manufacturers, but also the showroom networks and service centres. This is what needs to be addressed for EVs to succeed, and it will take quite a bit of effort to do so.

Source: FORBES
Sponsored

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The URL to the article is broken!

For me, it's been cost. I just couldn't front the up-front cash when I needed a car last. Model 3 is still 25% more than I paid for my Mazda 3 in 2012.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I have one car replaced with an EV... next looks to be my motorcycle, then eventually replacing the Subaru with the CyberTruck...

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Cost for me too, and range. I wanted an EV when I was looking for my current car (prius c) about 2 years go.

only options in my price range 15k-20k, were basically the leaf with its meager 100-130mile max (if that) range and the bolt with 200mile range.
I got my low mileage prius for $15k, it does 45-50mpg
cheapest decent bolt was like 23k .

difference of $8k, thats like 140k miles worth of gas. plus its not like electricity for the bolt would free.

if that bolt was around 18k I would probably have bought it.

side note:
I never thought I would buy a new car, as we all know new cars lose value the moment they drive off the lot. but the damn Cybertruck checks so many box's

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It’s is the up front cost. Maybe owning a Tesla will save you money in the long run, but most people can’t pay cash for a new Tesla, so obtaining a loan is important to them. It is the cost. It’s also the range. When a Tesla costs less than a ICE vehicle, and has 500-600 or real,world range, then maybe it will be the end of ICE vehicles. It’s also the charging. Many good people don’t have a nice garage to park their Tesla in and charge overnight with a 220 outlet or a wall charger. They live in apartments and might be lucky to have access to a carport with electricity. When Tesla has as many Supercharging stations as their gas stations... like 2 or more on every corner... charging will be an still be an obstacle. Folks, we are just not there yet. Be patient. It will come.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
They'll save you money but not the same as the premium. Tesla is the sweet-spot now, but they need to up their repairability if they want to draw in those last few.

Range was second; I need the 200 to get from charger to charger up the coast and a trip to the city and back is 160.

Motorcycles are weird because of their high air resistance to battery size so you expect to lose half your range to ride at freeway speed. But you don't expect that much loss for a sedan.

-Crissa

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
It has always been cost for me as well.. But i can see what the article is talking about. Also.. people seem to think EV's should be able to just drive forever.. as if they never have to stop and fill up there ICE with fuel.. i constantly hear "but how far can you drive an EV?!" or "but how many times could i drive from here to work" as if they are going to drive to work 20 times without charging at home.

as i have said in another thread.. i recently got a used A3 E-tron.. it has 16 MILES of range. this has been covering my daily commute (15 miles) without issue. I just plug it in over night, or top off at the free charge point charger near my office.

I wonder if people used to ask how far they could drive the Model T before you had to stop and feed it??

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
We needed to replace a car, there was a great deal between our power company and Nissan for $10k off the top of the car, plus the VW Diesel gate money for our TDI, plus the tax rebate, so we got a new 2017 Nissan Leaf and paid it off in just over 2 years. And with the charger at work, it was only after the pandemic hit that we charged the car more than a handful of times at home.
And with our reduced driving since the Pandemic, we charge the Leaf once or twice a month.
The Subaru is only used when we need something big moved...

Could the Leaf be our only car? No, but since we have another car, the Leaf works out great. And when we commuted to work (we both work in the same building, but now from home), the distance of 7 miles one way hardly lets ICE engines warm up.

Remember, just because something does not fit your use case does not mean it is not plenty adequate for others.

Knowing what I do now, I wish we had gotten the Chevy Bolt. Would have cost about the same as the Leaf (the Leaf was more expensive than the Bolt, but no one had a Bolt at any local dealerships) and had more range, which means charging less often, which means lower costs to operate (and less remembering to plug it in).
Sponsored