Kewl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Camaro Convertible, 2012 RAM 1500 4x4 BigHorn
Occupation
CDL Truck Driver, retired IT Director
Country flag
How useful is it to know you are parked? How useful is it to know that u are facing southwest? Do you really need to know that it's 109 degrees and if it changes to 100 degrees that information should be known immediately. If you put the car into drive and the speedometer is showing 20mph is it necessary to check if you are in drive? Seriously the only info that is immediately useful is the speedometer and even that is completely useless in traffic as you will either be passing traffic.... ergo faster than the speed limit or being passed... ergo slower than the speed limit. With no traffic where you would need to monitor speed is it faster to shift your attention to the glowing number on the windshield or to a glowing number right below it? Science says it does not speed up by putting a number in your line of sight. At night you are actually negatively impacted by the glowing number as the projected light must necessarily be brighter than ambient and prevents night adaption. In other words you are less safe with it than without it.
All of it I find useful. How you don't find it useful just scares me more because I am pretty sure you're going to be erratic and disoriented and probably lost messing up the traffic around you ?
If I have to microscopically describe the purpose of the information to you, then chances are you are pretty oblivious. Pretty sure you never drove in areas like Washington DC either. Trapped on a freeway for 24 hours is a concept you would likely never encountered. Using a paddle shift transmission in manual mode would completely elude you and you would probably blow the motor up too. Or worse, floor it and back into someone instead of going forward.?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
All of it I find useful. How you don't find it useful just scares me more because I am pretty sure you're going to be erratic and disoriented and probably lost messing up the traffic around you ?
If I have to microscopically describe the purpose of the information to you, then chances are you are pretty oblivious. Pretty sure you never drove in areas like Washington DC either. Trapped on a freeway for 24 hours is a concept you would likely never encountered. Using a paddle shift transmission in manual mode would completely elude you and you would probably blow the motor up too. Or worse, floor it and back into someone instead of going forward.?
Ad hominem much? Usually I wouldn't engage, wait... yes I would. Sure let's uncover stripes.
The heaviest vehicle that I've ever driven weighed 8894 tons. It did not have a gear shift. ?
The lightest vehicle weighed in at ~500lbs. It did have a foot operated paddle shift. Although possibly gyrocopter was lighter but I'm just including surface vehicles since air traffic is completely different. I don't know why you would think Boston traffic is somehow lighter than DC but perhaps... and I really have no idea what getting stuck in a storm has to do with a hud...
I also don't understand why you post on a Cybertruck owners forum when you have already said you will not be purchasing. Did the camaro club suck?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Top hit for 8894 tons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Trenton_(LPD-14)

I've driven/ridden lots of vehicles under 500lbs, most peddle powered, but not all. Lots of weird motive choices under that level ^-^

-Crissa

edit: remove scraper link, tho it was higher in Google, weirdly.

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag

KewlToyZ

First Name
Kewl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Ad hominem much? Usually I wouldn't engage, wait... yes I would. Sure let's uncover stripes.
The heaviest vehicle that I've ever driven weighed 8894 tons. It did not have a gear shift. ?
The lightest vehicle weighed in at ~500lbs. It did have a foot operated paddle shift. Although possibly gyrocopter was lighter but I'm just including surface vehicles since air traffic is completely different. I don't know why you would think Boston traffic is somehow lighter than DC but perhaps... and I really have no idea what getting stuck in a storm has to do with a hud...
I also don't understand why you post on a Cybertruck owners forum when you have already said you will not be purchasing. Did the camaro club suck?
I've flown aircraft recreationally myself for the adventure. Fixed wing and small helicopter. Would love to try a gyro. I still think it would make an efficient electric aircraft design. No HUD in my experience except flight simulators, but it would have been nice. Myself I don't believe the FSD is going to make up for the human virus on the roads. I drive semi's with 18 speeds. I have a mechanical engineering degree, but I've written software for companies in need. I walked away from computers years ago. What my point is entirely about is the driving experience. Obviously we are from very different perspectives.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
.. Seriously the only info that is immediately useful is the speedometer and even that is completely useless in traffic as you will either be passing traffic.... ergo faster than the speed limit or being passed... ergo slower than the speed limit. With no traffic where you would need to monitor speed is it faster to shift your attention to the glowing number on the windshield or to a glowing number right below it?... At night you are actually negatively impacted by the glowing number as the projected light must necessarily be brighter than ambient and prevents night adaption. In other words you are less safe with it than without it.
Pretty much the primary reason I want a HUD is to display my speed so I can monitor it when Waze says "Speed trap reported ahead." And, if you correctly adjust the brightness (as you should at night) it won't impact your low light adaptation. For me that's reason enough to want a HUD. And if it can display navigation turn info that's even better. I'd say a more engaged driver seeking situational awareness is always a safer driver.

I can say this as someone who has used a HUD in a 32,000 lbs vehicle.

KewlToyZ

First Name
Kewl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
If you have time to check your speed, you’re not going fast enough
"Danny 'Magoo' Chandler": " If you don't wreck you aren't going fast enough!" ?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You are a Google master! Was actually the Ponce... same ship as the Trenton.
?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Ponce_(LPD-15)

Nice! Beautiful ships, really essential in deployments for good or ill, I worry the Navy doesn't know how to use them - honestly, I think they use the Coasties too much and these too little.

Honestly, I would like a HUD. I assume they're not use is because they've been somewhat difficult to implement correctly and their display is low-resolution, so what you can display is limited. Tesla focuses on simplicity; and while HUDs look simple, they're not simple. Maybe someday they will be.

-Crissa

Last edited:

KewlToyZ

First Name
Kewl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Actually useful to my queries:
https://cleantechnica.com/2022/01/0...n-a-frozen-traffic-jam-dirty-tesla-finds-out/

Deleted member 859

Pretty much the primary reason I want a HUD is to display my speed so I can monitor it when Waze says "Speed trap reported ahead." And, if you correctly adjust the brightness (as you should at night) it won't impact your low light adaptation. For me that's reason enough to want a HUD. And if it can display navigation turn info that's even better. I'd say a more engaged driver seeking situational awareness is always a safer driver.

I can say this as someone who has used a HUD in a 32,000 lbs vehicle.
Exactly! That’s what my 2017 Chevy SS Sedan does. I love it! The HUD has speed, tachometer, navigation, turn signals, high beam, proximity warning, satellite radio info. It’s awesome!
Sponsored