ModelAZ

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Ordered
Country flag
There's a setting coming for launch mode in the S and X with air suspension called "Cheetah Mode."

According to CNET: Elon Musk and Co. are readying a setting in Launch Mode for Model S and Model X vehicles equipped with the company's Raven powertrain update and air suspension. Essentially, Cheetah Stance sounds like it lowers the front air suspension and optimizes damping to best manage weight transfer during a hard acceleration event. (Launch Mode presently already lowers Model S and Model X suspension at all four corners.)

So this is something we might see in the Cybertruck since it will ride on air suspension (Musk recently confirmed that it's an all new air suspension system and not shared with the S and X). But even if not, it goes to show how flexible air suspension control via software can be. I'm sure we'll see off-road modes that set up the air suspension differently for slow-speed crawling or high-speed offroad runs.

Any other cool uses or modes you guys can think of for the air suspension?
Sponsored

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I am big fan of the knelling / lowering the rear to load my dirtibkes....beats pushing them up a ramp of a lifted truck! Also like the auto 4 corner leveling for use with a heavy load or trailer! Also the thought of 'performance' - lower and stiffer vs. lifted offroad....just limitless possibilities and flexibility! Cant wait!

D101010

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MYP
Country flag
I have a air suspension on my current truck and the ride is really nice. But maintenance is not great for cold climates. They have to pull in outside air and with that water vapor which freezes and breaks components. Mine failed after 4 years mainly because the air bags wore out and it was bringing in a lot of air. Lets hope Tesla puts some of their out of box thinking on this suspension.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Supposedly will not be bags, but could have the same issue with the issue of water condensation...
Unless they route the air coming in through the HVAC system to dehumidify it. Or the air will come from a pressure bottle/tank to make changes in ride height faster and the air pressure source in the bed more useful for air tools...
Could be both of those...

Zhe Wiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MYP, 2015 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
FileMaker Developer
Country flag
The system in my Jeep and I’m sure your RAM eco diesel is completely closed. Air is pumped into a pressurized tank to lower and a valve opened to allow the pressurized air back into the suspension to raise. No winter/humidity issues when working as designed.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Unless they get fancy with some valves*, this will not be a system like that, because that pump is also providing air in the bed/vault.

* I could see them having a practically closed system for the suspension and a open loop for the utility air in the truck and just using synchronized valves to switch... but still would let moisture into the system and could still cause problems.

D101010

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MYP
Country flag
The system in my Jeep and I’m sure your RAM eco diesel is completely closed. Air is pumped into a pressurized tank to lower and a valve opened to allow the pressurized air back into the suspension to raise. No winter/humidity issues when working as designed.
The issue is the life of the components my truck is 6 years old. I live in MN and we regularly get -30 degree days. The rubber in the bags have hardened and cracked leaking air. That wore out the pump, it was unable to raise the car in a timely fashion even after bags were replaced and refilled. OEM replacement of the 2 bags and pump $2700 plus labor plus nitrogen air fill. If you look at the truck forums people have major issues with these systems in cold climates. That is why I hope they are not some sort of air bag and more of a piston something that can handle the wide climate range.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I believe that all their other vehicles do not use air bags, so I assume it will be similar.
Sponsored