Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Heating is extremely wasteful with electricity. If they add these features they should be propane.
I get what you are saying here.

But I doubt Tesla will create propane anything. Honestly… I’d just prefer camping accessories like this be left to other. A nice place to tuck them or other things specific to the Cybertruck would be cool. But “Hot Plate” or propane stoves… lots of companies do that stuff. Just give me a way to stash them and a countertop of some sort.
Sponsored

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
A PTO on a CT is called an extension cord.
Expect really if we are trying to be efficient with resources every motor we can get rid is a major savings in resources. Why not use the CT motors to drive a mixer, or compressor or hydraulic pump or auger or saw or pump or mower, the list goes on and on and every piece of equipment become significantly lighter, cheaper and more efficient if you get rid of the motor and use a PTO.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Expect really if we are trying to be efficient with resources every motor we can get rid is a major savings in resources. Why not use the CT motors to drive a mixer, or compressor or hydraulic pump or auger or saw or pump or mower, the list goes on and on and every piece of equipment become significantly lighter, cheaper and more efficient if you get rid of the motor and use a PTO.
You have the choice. Make accessories which are sold to 1% of customers lighter, or make the truck which is sold to 100% of customers lighter. While the weight savings for that 1% of customers might be substantial, the weight penalty for a PTO on the other 99% of vehicles will be much greater.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
You have the choice. Make accessories which are sold to 1% of customers lighter, or make the truck which is sold to 100% of customers lighter. While the weight savings for that 1% of customers might be substantial, the weight penalty for a PTO on the other 99% of vehicles will be much greater.
We are talking about optional accessories. The PTO would be an optional accessory to the 1%.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Adding the right amount of structure to protect the wafers and keep the track system would be difficult enough before considering of the wear and tear associated with the wiring necessary to keep the series and parallel circuits healthy.
This is untrue. And I'll cite that I've been running solar for camping and recharging for quite some time - the fact that the tonneau is already stiff metal would take care of that just fine.

Heating is extremely wasteful with electricity. If they add these features they should be propane.
A heat pump uses less total energy than a propane heater, for the same heat output. To the point that if you have the right heat pump and the right generator, it'd be better to burn the propane in the generator than directly in a furnace.

Maybe? If it's just a spinner and a clutch like on the Semi, it might not add as much weight as it's adding range. But it would add cost and complexity.

-Crissa

Last edited:

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Tesla could domina
PTO would require drive-train integration, not something you can bolt on later.
couldnt be much harder than a winch if the connections on the truck are ready to go.

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Someone explain PTO to me like I'm 2 please

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Power Tap Off.

It's a place where you can attach to the spinning part of a motor. Usually a shaft joint, but sometimes it's a belt or chain.

Basically, the vehicle is put in neutral - as in, motor not connected to the wheels - and another thing is plugged into the motor.

If you think about it, this is what a 'serpentine' belt in most ICE engines does, tapping off the power to power the cooling pump, the alternator, etc.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Gurule92

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Power Tap Off.

It's a place where you can attach to the spinning part of a motor. Usually a shaft joint, but sometimes it's a belt or chain.

Basically, the vehicle is put in neutral - as in, motor not connected to the wheels - and another thing is plugged into the motor.

If you think about it, this is what a 'serpentine' belt in most ICE engines does, tapping off the power to power the cooling pump, the alternator, etc.

-Crissa
Thanks was so lost.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Doesn't necessarily have to though. 4 ft away you have a crazy high torque motor on the CT.
The CT is literally one of the most modern version of exploiting redundancies in features from the exoskeleton to the structural pack and the glass. It would seem extremely simple to add a small transfer case and clutch to power a small pulley as a winch. The winch assembly itself would be 1/3 the weight and if you could use the PTO for other functions such as a water pump or screw on a plow or saws for the zombie apocalypses it would be great.

A handful of old military trucks had PTOs. I am just sayin'. Someone is going to do it and it will be awesome.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Doesn't necessarily have to though. 4 ft away you have a crazy high torque motor on the CT.
To get a PTO connected to the truck, you’d need some kind of dual clutch inside the Cybertruck motor assembly capable of sending power to either the wheels or the PTO (or both at the same time). Then you need an external interface for the PTO (usually a spline), plus a driveshaft going from the motor assembly to the winch, along with gearing to convert to a reasonable RPM. Tesla needs to do this without impacting the drive train’s primary function of delivering efficient power to the wheels.

All of this save the actual winch would be included in every single truck or Tesla would need a separate drive train unit for the “PTO” version.

To get an external winch operating, you need a small motor and gearbox.

I’m pretty sure I know which route Tesla will go with.

Deleted member 3316

Power Take off. Usually a direct drive shaft off the gear box.
In the context of an EV it would make more sense to have a small electric motor mounted where convenient.

Designing in some versatility into the winch motor would likely be the most desirable solution.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.