Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Anyone find it a tad off? All Tesla's are direct motor drive. Might be for center of gravity issues?
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I know of no Tesla that is direct drive. There is one manufacturer that has a concept car with hub motors but only the one that I can think of.

OP
OP
Bigvbear

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I know of no Tesla that is direct drive. There is one manufacturer that has a concept car with hub motors but only the one that I can think of.
ok maybe direct drive was the improper term. But they do have the motor and a small gearbox on the same axle as the tires it drives, no drive shaft/trans combo as in ICE cars.

This setup seems more like an ICE quad with a chain drive.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The current ones have a differential gearbox with a a pair of half shafts. This will chage when the TriMotors come out and the Plaids before them.

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
Anyone find it a tad off? All Tesla's are direct motor drive. Might be for center of gravity issues?
It's possibly also a conversion from an ICE quad. Some people say that Cyberquad looks like a Yamaha Raptor. We don't know if the Cyberquad will stay the same for final production, and in what numbers they plan on producing them. If it's a limited edition with a small quantity to be made, perhaps they can buy the quad chassis directly from another manufacturer (i.e. Yamaha) and convert it. Not unlike what they did with the original Roadster. The other possibility is that they converted an ICE quad for the prototype, but the final version will be made in-house and possibly different.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
I hope this isn’t the case but I’m afraid the quad will be sort of a gimmick. Basically what was mentioned earlier as a chassis bought elsewhere and converted to electric with minimal attention to function and performance with maximum attention to looks and perception. I doubt serious effort will be put forth for considerations for things like maximizing ergonomics or even having a particular type customer in mind. There will be some people that can use this thing as is and be perfect for them but for 99% of folks needing an ATV this single configuration offered will not work. To me, it seems like it would take more or less a whole separate division of the company to really be able to spend the time on research, testing, customer feedback, etc. I think it was just a neat way of getting more attention for the CT and Tesla won’t dedicate enough resources to “get it right.” If they are serious they will need many options like battery size, frame size, 4x4 offered, etc. If Polaris only sold one model ATV, in 2WD configuration only, in one color, with one powerplant option, they wouldn’t last. But again, if they aren’t planning to produce significant numbers and only care about selling a few for the cool factor (and it is cool!) they will do fine just selling it to the few people that just happen to need a quad with the specs as delivered.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
What we saw on reveal night was, in fact, a modified Yamaha quad, as verified by Elon. The actual Cyberquad will be new from the ground up, as it'll be all Tesla. I don't expect to see a chain, as that's really antiquated (some of the first cars were chain drive). Expect a few surprises there, too my friends. You never know what Elon's cooking 'till it's dinnertime.
Sponsored

Last edited: