Dawei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Raptor (Supercab)
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Normal use will expose CT even more elements wouldn’t it?? Will this beast even fit in traditional car wash to say, wash off road salt?

It will fit in car washes no problem.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Salt air is not the one thing that will do it.

Stainless is required for beachfront building code now because it doesn't corrode in salt. There are weaker kinds of stainless, of course, but the Cybertruck isn't it.

-Crissa

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Currently, I am unable to fit my wife’s small SUV into our garage. I have a Chevy Volt and we keep all 3 vehicles outside of our garage due to its limited size. I simply pull the charger for the Volt outside to plug it in when I arrive home.
What should I be concerned about if I kept The Cyber Truck outside? Damage to windows/body? Diminished battery life?
I live In TN, so temperature is mild year round.
Any suggestions or words of wisdom are appreciated.
Pretty much everyone I know that has a full-sized truck parks them outside because most garages are too small. Even if the truck will physically fit, it is not a good fit. And sometimes they don't even fit.

The downsides are the truck will not stay as clean and new looking as long. This means a bit more washing/waxing. I live in a wet climate with a lot of trees and road grime. Those living with intense sun will see accelerated UV damage. I wouldn't worry about the battery as long as you keep it plugged in but it too will take a small hit to longevity vs. being in a controlled climate and out of the intense cold/hot.

But it's a vehicle - it's meant to resist weather and none of them last forever. If you are that concerned about it (and have room) you could build a bigger garage. But this is probably a poor use of resources vs. just parking it outside. Garages have roofs that require maintenance/replacement and the costs associated with them (including increased property taxes, initial cost, etc.). There is no free lunch. The real question is do you really need a big truck?

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Yeah I wonder the same, its 21F here now, my rusty road salt encrushed 2006 160K mile Toyota Tacoma lives outside, while the diesel tractor (Required to move the 8 foot snowbanks we get) lives inside the garage with the wifes 2017 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid.

The CT is too long for my garage, and even if I pulled it in I would not be able to get the doors open.
The Rav4 you can barely get the doors open in the garage.

So will an EV charge in 0F weather on the 220/240V charger?
Will the inverter and charge controller heat the battery up enough to charge it outside day after day sub 32F?
Yes, We park both our Model 3's either fully outside or partially under an open one-car carport. They both charge fine with 240V. At first I was parking my Performance Model 3 on a gravel driveway in the snow/ice and charging on a 120V 15 amp wall outlet. It worked but there would be a time delay before charging began and even then it would only add 2 miles per hour when it was well below zero. Upgrading to 240V charging totally eliminated this problem. As long as you have at least 30 amps of 240V, I wouldn't worry about it. Not at all.

Last edited:

MexiTruck

First Name
Ernesto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TM3, Prius v, Mazda B4000
Country flag
Kitchen knifes would show rust. Non-galvanized nails corrode.

If kept inside drawers, it takes a long time for knifes to show rust and even then it seems to be amenable to removal easily.

But I’m guessing that the Tesla 30x steel will be a lot more “stainless” than kitchen knifes.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’m keeping my Cybertruck outside of the carport. It will make for great advertisement for the neighborhood since I own Tesla stocks.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
the mice in my area would eat the wiring in less than a week if outside.
👍Fence off the yard and let the dogs out. My dogs catch any vermons in their path around the vehicle.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Cybertruck owners should be begging to park their vehicle outside. That’s how to get a free charge with the solar panels mounted on the top of the truck.

MiguelAznar

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck 3-motor
Country flag
the mice in my area would eat the wiring in less than a week if outside.
Is there any news about Tesla replacing cables with rigid metal conducting frames? I heard that was to ease automation, as robots have trouble with flexible wires but can easily drop in rigid objects. The bonus would be replacement of insulated wires tempting rodents. Would those solid buses have delicious insulation?

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
Is there any news about Tesla replacing cables with rigid metal conducting frames? I heard that was to ease automation, as robots have trouble with flexible wires but can easily drop in rigid objects. The bonus would be replacement of insulated wires tempting rodents. Would those solid buses have delicious insulation?
Tesla has replaced the cables with bus bars (or tubes) for the thick, high voltage cables going from the charge port to the penthouse. That won't work for the wires that mice like to eat, which are the tiny wires that connect all the electronics in the vehicle together. Those wires are tiny and it's not possible to replace them with "bus bars" which would add weight and cost and would make assembly harder.
Sponsored