Couple Features For Consideration

cyberHoward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck tri-motor
Country flag
I have just a couple of features that I would like to see that are in my Ram 1500 truck.

First, my center console fits a gun vault that is hidden and lockable from the third-party Lock'er Down. It fits as if it is OEM. I know the center seat in the Cybertruck may not allow for it to be in a console, so looking for another location as accessible and hidden. Mabe something could be built into the dash optionally. My Ram has a hidden door to a storage area in the dash just above the glove box, but it is not lockable. Something similar, but closer to the driver's side would be nice.

Android Auto wireless compatibility. I have navigation in my truck that I never use. I only use my Android Auto. Anything that does not access my contact list without downloading it to the truck or does not allow Google search and Google Maps (using voice navigation from my contacts or Google search) is a step backward. Plus using all of my other apps like messaging(verbal), Spotify music, general google search results. All apps are consistently using my Google assistant I use in my house as well.
Sponsored

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1T QM, R1S QM, Zero S ZF
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
I have just a couple of features that I would like to see that are in my Ram 1500 truck.

First, my center console fits a gun vault that is hidden and lockable from the third-party Lock'er Down. It fits as if it is OEM. I know the center seat in the Cybertruck may not allow for it to be in a console, so looking for another location as accessible and hidden. Mabe something could be built into the dash optionally. My Ram has a hidden door to a storage area in the dash just above the glove box, but it is not lockable. Something similar, but closer to the driver's side would be nice.

Android Auto wireless compatibility. I have navigation in my truck that I never use. I only use my Android Auto. Anything that does not access my contact list without downloading it to the truck or does not allow Google search and Google Maps (using voice navigation from my contacts or Google search) is a step backward. Plus using all of my other apps like messaging(verbal), Spotify music, general google search results. All apps are consistently using my Google assistant I use in my house as well.
Like the hidden gun vault suggestion. Android Auto is great on my F150; use it exclusively instead of Ford's optional navigation. I have a Tesla Model 3 DM and I love the Tesla's navigation just as much so I wouldn't miss the lack of Android auto on my CT!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
You will quickly come to appreciate the Tesla navigation soon enough. From what I consider to be pretty vague voice commands (e.g. Orleans Street Garage) it will find the Orleans Street Garage even though you have not told it which city that's in, lay in a route, tell you how long it will take to get there and how much charge you will have upon arrival and prepare a graphic showing estimated SoC vs miles driven and, as you drive the route, the actual SoC at each point along the way, It would be nice if it could e-mail you or download to a thumb drive the current list of destinations or upload a list of destination but AFAIK you can. You can, however, search for a destination in another app and upload that to the car OTA.

OP
OP

cyberHoward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck tri-motor
Country flag
I appreciate the nice additional Tesla related POIs, but it still sounds like a broken solution. At home, on my mobile phone, on my laptop, basically anywhere, I just have to say navigate to name which is on my contact list or any business in Google and I am set. I don't want to have to upload anything ever or download anything every ever. I have a seamless experience in all of my venues to call, get navigation, or look up anything a simple as a birthday just by saying it out loud where ever I am.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I appreciate the nice additional Tesla related POIs, but it still sounds like a broken solution. At home, on my mobile phone, on my laptop, basically anywhere, I just have to say navigate to name which is on my contact list or any business in Google and I am set.
Guess you didn't see No. 3. That's exactly what you do in a Tesla.

OP
OP

cyberHoward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck tri-motor
Country flag

Where is it pulling right from my Google contacts and Google search engines to come up with my navigation, song selection on my Spotify, phone numbers from my Google contacts, and even general information about stores open and closed, etc. I use Google all day every day seamlessly at home and in my car without uploading or downloading anything when I update records.

EBender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Egolf
Occupation
Professional Bender
Country flag
Like the hidden gun vault suggestion. Android Auto is great on my F150; use it exclusively instead of Ford's optional navigation. I have a Tesla Model 3 DM and I love the Tesla's navigation just as much so I wouldn't miss the lack of Android auto on my CT!
Tesla navigation seems great, but why would I want to pay $10/month to stream spotify and podcasts that I can already do for free in my other cars.. this extra $10 data fee when I already have data on my phone really is a big downside to me. Call me cheap if you want, but it bothers me to pay for mobile data when I already have it and it is already a standard in most other vehicles. It's like when you go to a luxury motel and they charge you for the wifi when at motel 8 it's included.

EBender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Egolf
Occupation
Professional Bender
Country flag
Problem is you have to pay $10/month for it when I m already paying for that service. Lack of wireless android auto may be a deal breaker for me.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Where is it pulling right from my Google contacts and Google search engines to come up with my navigation, song selection on my Spotify, phone numbers from my Google contacts, and even general information about stores open and closed, etc. I use Google all day every day seamlessly at home and in my car without uploading or downloading anything when I update records.
I would highly recommend you contact Tesla and set up a touchless test drive, or ask a friend or yours to check their car out. The phone integration with Tesla's is seamless. You set up the bluetooth connection once and from then forward, your phone automatically connects with the car and you contacts are all available to call or text via voice command. Spotify is built into the car, requiring you to sign into your account on the console, and uses the cars data connection to stream music (assuming you pay for the data connection). The Tesla Nav, is just as good as google and shows traffic, satellite images and more. I believe the actually use google traffic data so, it is google maps in a way. Additionally, the Tesla has a web browser, you can search anything you want. There are third party apps that you can connect to the car to gain connectivity to other non-tesla functionality like smart home features for example. One thing to note is that some of these features require the premium connectivity so just count on purchasing that (youll be saving money on your phone's data connection so it will likely be a wash). Once you are familiar with the setup or you witness others and the way they interact with the vehicle, android auto will seem like a bulky answer to the 'connected' vehicle.

On the gun vault comment. Tesla doesnt really do interior storage options historically. Your best bet might be to contact one of the companies that make the product and see if they might work with you and your vehicle to create something that they could market to others.

EBender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Egolf
Occupation
Professional Bender
Country flag
I would highly recommend you contact Tesla and set up a touchless test drive, or ask a friend or yours to check their car out. The phone integration with Tesla's is seamless. You set up the bluetooth connection once and from then forward, your phone automatically connects with the car and you contacts are all available to call or text via voice command. Spotify is built into the car, requiring you to sign into your account on the console, and uses the cars data connection to stream music (assuming you pay for the data connection). The Tesla Nav, is just as good as google and shows traffic, satellite images and more. I believe the actually use google traffic data so, it is google maps in a way. Additionally, the Tesla has a web browser, you can search anything you want. There are third party apps that you can connect to the car to gain connectivity to other non-tesla functionality like smart home features for example. One thing to note is that some of these features require the premium connectivity so just count on purchasing that (youll be saving money on your phone's data connection so it will likely be a wash). Once you are familiar with the setup or you witness others and the way they interact with the vehicle, android auto will seem like a bulky answer to the 'connected' vehicle.

On the gun vault comment. Tesla doesnt really do interior storage options historically. Your best bet might be to contact one of the companies that make the product and see if they might work with you and your vehicle to create something that they could market to others.
The problem is they make you pay for a data connection when you already have one on your phone. Wireless android auto like the rest of the industry please. This is a huge annoyance to me.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
"like the rest of the industry please"
Your comment is exactly why Telsa is year and years ahead of every other automaker....just because everyone else does it doesnt mean its better. Your android auto experience is simply what you are used to. Until you experience the in car experience in a Tesla, you may want to reserve your judgements, as there are all sorts of things that you can do with the Tesla software that android auto cant shake a stick at. A Tesla vehicle is software on wheels. Android auto is a generic interface to work with a large number of vehicles (some better than others). IMO the software made specifically for the vehicle will always be the better option.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The problem is they make you pay for a data connection when you already have one on your phone. Wireless android auto like the rest of the industry please. This is a huge annoyance to me.
No. This is false.

If you want to use apps on your phone, you totally can. It works like any other car. Tesla does not stop you from doing so.

-Crissa

EBender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Egolf
Occupation
Professional Bender
Country flag
Your comment is exactly why Telsa is year and years ahead of every other automaker....just because everyone else does it doesnt mean its better. Your android auto experience is simply what you are used to. Until you experience the in car experience in a Tesla, you may want to reserve your judgements, as there are all sorts of things that you can do with the Tesla software that android auto cant shake a stick at. A Tesla vehicle is software on wheels. Android auto is a generic interface to work with a large number of vehicles (some better than others). IMO the software made specifically for the vehicle will always be the better option.
I agree for navigation, etc.. it's not the software that I object to. It's another device that I have to pay for mobile data on when I already have mobile data on my phone... Just do that.... Or... Hook it up to starlink and let my phone and home share that connection, then I only have one data bill.. I'd prefer it go to tesla than Sprint/Verizon.

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 S90D ,2014Tacoma, Cyberbeast ordered 2/13/24
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree for navigation, etc.. it's not the software that I object to. It's another device that I have to pay for mobile data on when I already have mobile data on my phone... Just do that.... Or... Hook it up to starlink and let my phone and home share that connection, then I only have one data bill.. I'd prefer it go to tesla than Sprint/Verizon.
I would think you can always tether the truck to your phone.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I would think you can always tether the truck to your phone.
I was actually wondering this.
Current Tesla Owners, can you tether your car to your phones hotspot? If yes, will it essentially work the same as if you purchased Tesla Premium Connectivity?
Sponsored