Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Tesla Roadster’s revolutionary wiper design secures U.S. Patent approval
By Joey Klender
Feb. 13, 2021

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-roadster-wiper-patent-approved/

The United States Patent Office has approved Tesla’s revolutionary electromagnetic wiper design for the next-gen Roadster, documents show.

U.S. Patent Office documents reveal that patent number 10,889,267, the “electromagnetic windshield wiper design system” submitted by Tesla on March 5th, 2018, has been approved. Tesla published the patent over a year later on September 5th, 2019, and it was approved on January 12th, 2021.

TESLA’S ELECTROMAGNETIC WIPER FOR THE ROADSTER
Tesla’s patent shows a one-piece wiper design that is not typical or similar in any fashion to the “normal” two-piece windshield wiper architecture. Most vehicles, including all four of Tesla’s current lineup of cars, use two wipers that operate from the bottom of the windshield in an arc shape. This gives the driver coverage of the field of vision of the car they are operating, but it does not clear every raindrop from the surface of the glass. The top two corners, along with some other areas, are not affected by the traditional wiper design or range of motion.

However, Tesla wanted to install something slightly different onto its next-gen Roadster, which could be the fastest car to ever navigate on public roads. Instead of the traditional two-wiper blade design, Tesla’s patent details a one-piece wiper system that uses an electromagnetic linear actuator to rid the windshield of any rain or moisture completely. It will start from one side and move directly to the other side, cleaning the entire windshield with one motion.
The patent states:
“The disclosed electromagnetic wiper system may include a linear actuator that may include a guide rail and an electromagnetic moving block. The guide rail may include a plurality of permanent magnet bars that may be disposed horizontally along a curvature of the windshield of the vehicle. The electromagnetic moving block may act as an electromagnetic train, and may include a plurality of perforations and at least an electromagnetic coil that surrounds the plurality of perforations in the electromagnetic moving block. The linear motion of the electromagnetic moving block through the plurality of permanent magnet bars may be controlled to steer the wiper arm that may be coupled to the electromagnetic moving block, back and forth across the entire length of the windshield to wipe a defined region, for example, the entire transparent area (i.e., near cent percent area) of the windshield. This may result in minimal friction during the linear motion of the electromagnetic moving block.”

When the wiper blade is not being used, it will be hidden under the car’s hood. This adds to the Roadster’s clean and modern design, free of anything that could take away from its aerodynamically-advantageous design, including side-mirrors.

U.S. PATENT OFFICE GRANTS APPROVAL
The United States Patent Office officially granted approval on January 12th, documents show.
“U.S. patent number 10,889,267 [Application Number 16/291,186] was granted by the patent office on 2021-01-12 for electromagnetic windshield wiper system. This patent grant is currently assigned to Tesla, Inc.. The grantee listed for this patent is Tesla, Inc.. Invention is credited to Nicolas Clift, Gonzalo Espinoza Graham, Maithreya Kedambadi Prasanna.”

Tesla Cybertruck Will the Cybertruck use Tesla's newly granted Electromagnetic Windshield Wiper patent? tesla-roadster-wiper-patent-approved

Credit: United States Patent Office

ROADSTER UPDATES FROM MUSK
Earlier this week, Tesla CEO Elon Musk gave some updates regarding the Roadster project, which has been delayed several times due to engineering modifications and battery constraints. Musk told Joe Rogan during his third appearance on the JRE Podcast that he wants the Roadster to hover and that he is still trying to figure out how to make that happen.

Musk said:
“I want it to hover. I’m trying to figure out how to make this thing hover, without, you know, killing people. I thought, maybe we could make it hover, but not too high. So maybe it could hover, like, a meter above the ground, or something. So, if you plummet, you blow out the suspension, but you’re not going to die. Maybe, I don’t know, six feet. If we put a height limit on it, it will probably be fine.”
Regardless of the Roadster will hover or not, Musk still plans to release a SpaceX package that will give three tons of thrust for insane acceleration. During the Q4 2020 Earnings Call, he also stated that production would likely begin next year.

H/t: @meckimac

————————————————————-

‘I am betting this is our Cybertruck wiper.
Sponsored

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
I'm thinking the approval of this new patent will answer one of the lingering outstanding CT questions. what will wipers look like and how will they work!?

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
Some say that the Cybertruck will not need windshield wipers at all because the windshield glass will be so polished that nothing will stick to it. Although I am still skeptical it will be made of aluminium oxynitride, maybe for tri-motor version only or as an option

Last edited:

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Some say that the Cybertruck will not need windshield wipers at all because the windshield glass will be so polished that nothing will stick to it. Although I am still skeptical it will be made of aluminium oxynitride, maybe for tri-motor version only or as an option
I can think of heavy snowing in certain weather that I think would stick anyway. But I don’t know anything about ALON glass. I guess with some sort of additional strong heating in or at the glass it may be all right both from a standstill with thick snow on it and at speed.

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
I can think of heavy snowing in certain weather that I think would stick anyway. But I don’t know anything about ALON glass. I guess with some sort of additional strong heating in or at the glass it may be all right both from a standstill with thick snow on it and at speed.
My understanding is that ALON has a thermo conductivity about x4 higher than regular glass. So I see no problem for that snow to be quickly melted from cabin heat. But I am not a materials engineer so my words don't have much weight...

D101010

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MYP
Country flag
There are many states that require the use of wipers when its raining. I got pulled over once because of this. I use RainX which works great and did not have wipers on.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Here in New England we get snow regularly. Not only do wipers sometimes struggle, I needed to use my headlight washers to clear the snow from them. I just don't see how the CT cannot have wiper(s), or some method of clearing water, salt, road spray, mud, bird shit, etc.

And its the same law around here regarding wipers and headlights on in the rain.

OP
OP
MEDICALJMP

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Tesla Semi has/will have the Armor Glass just like Cybertruck. Semi has windshield wipers.

Ergo....

Tesla Cybertruck Will the Cybertruck use Tesla's newly granted Electromagnetic Windshield Wiper patent? 9D73D01B-58A8-41A1-9935-10E522365C81

Last edited:

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
And the side mirrors... they also deploy from under the hood on articulated arms ONLY when you need to check for a lane change. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, super cool. Although the would have to be a helluva linear motion rail to leverage It from only one side.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Tesla Semi has/will have the Armor Glass just like Cybertruck. Semi has windshield wipers.

Ergo....

9D73D01B-58A8-41A1-9935-10E522365C81.jpeg
Exactly.

Probably just going to flip and fold into the hood. You'll still need to have a wiper clear material even if they manage to make it hydrophobic you'll still have pooling water that needs to be displaced. To my knowledge, wipers are required anyway.

strongsafety31

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I agree with you. Translucent aluminum is very dense and the surface is smooth so nothing sticks to it, unlike glass. I use Rain X to spray on the windows of my truck and I do not turn my wipers on in light rain. This window material on the CT is like having super Rain X.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
It looks like Cybertruck windshield has a shallower angle. At higher speed it may work for it but at lower speed and behind the light against it.

There are many states that require the use of wipers when its raining. I got pulled over once because of this. I use RainX which works great and did not have wipers on.
Opportunity for an after market item if CT does not get a wiper; a fake wiper inside the windshield

I wonder if Standard blades will fit on these or we will have to pay through the nose for a patented blade regularly.

Last edited:

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
https://uspto.report/patent/grant/10,889,267

This new wiper design looks pretty cool. Any guesses as to if the CT will have this same wiper design?

I'm betting it will. The entire mechanism can be under the the hood when not in use. Very aero......

1613400562275.png
Just like there are three tiers of CT, there could be three tiers of windshield wiper design: the high option of course is the proposed electromagnetic design for the tri-motor version. The dual-motor version would get a standard two wiper blade design that we have all lived with for decades (hopefully, it won't run off of vacuum like my 1950 Ford did). Then for the single motor version it is a spray bottle of
Rain-X and the pedal to the metal (or compressed paper, whichever the case may be.
Sponsored