Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Tesla doesn't do advertising and I agree with that. But, I really think they need to add videos like this, to their YouTube channel. KEEP THE STOKE!!!!!!!!
I want a Cybertruck and I'm not interested in a Rivian. But Damn this video was SWEET!

Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Sweet! Rivian have built a narrative around “freedom”. Sponsoring BEV roadtrip from Ushuaia to North America was a huge kickoff on their meme.

Rivian are smart. Having skied Wasatch backcountry for 9years, seeing a split board, three pins included with downhill skiers, boarders and sledding is subtext for “inclusivity”.

Very emotional sell. I’m watching when they close the deal with a saving the planet meme with subtext for the next generation. Too bad the guy had to give up the promo car. He was perfect on-demographic.

Hootie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 Civic; '23 Model Y LR; '23 Ford Lightning
Country flag
Great video. i like the Rivian and would consider it but the base line price is more expensive than a mid level CT. So because Tesla is more established, the CT is bigger and cheaper, i am on the CT train. I view the R1T to be a Tacoma size truck and that is too much money for that size truck for me.

But i agree we need to see more videos of the CT in the wild when it gets closer to production.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
This and videos of traveling to South America is no way to communicate with your customers about your product. The right way of doing it is waiting a year and a half and then post one of these on twitter: ?

Did anyone noticed they kept upgrading their dog?

Well, obviously Tesla is not going to be paying anyone for a promo video since they already have all of us drooling over CT. The plan is for us to pay for the privilege of doing a promo for Cybertruck. So where would you take your CT for your youtube promo? Maine? Colorado? Adirondacks?

Last edited:

Bud

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This and videos of traveling to South America is no way to communicate with your customers about your product. The right way of doing it is waiting a year and a half and then post one of these on twitter: ?

Did anyone noticed they kept upgrading their dog?

Well, obviously Tesla is not going to be paying anyone for a promo video since they already have all of us drooling over CT. The plan is for us to pay for the privilege of doing a promo for Cybertruck. So where would you take your CT for your youtube promo? Maine? Colorado? Adirondacks?
OBX The Outer Banks

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
I understand the marketing much more than I'm willing to write about. If that's the approach Rivian wants to take, have at it. I think Tesla is the wiser for not marketing. This forum is a mixed bag of truck-identifying people, people who want a CyberTruck though they never owned a truck, and utility people. Assuming a spot hits 100% of it's intended market, it's still only going to hit the intended market. Those not in the market will need a different buy and a different message.

They went for the "I used to work hard now I spend time with my family" and "around here, we do things like this". So, where does that leave single folk who don't ski on the side of the road, don't pick up hitchhikers, and don't live in Wyoming. Guess you'll need to do another video and another video and another and hopefully they'll hit the target market and hopefully they haven't already decided and then an extra scoop of luck for the money spent.

At the end when he was washing the truck, I thought why couldn't that be any truck?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
At the end when he was washing the truck, I thought why couldn't that be any truck?
The fact of the matter is that you are correct, it CAN be any truck. Everyone knows it intellectually and I believe many of the folks that watch this already know the specs; 0-60, doing donuts, ability to put a small white dog in one end of the hole and get a big black one out of the other end or even the whole adventure business is not anything any of us really need. Like most of the things we don’t need the message is give me your money and you will be happy. I don’t have kids, dogs and know nothing about advertising but by the end of it I was sold on the idea that this could make me happy. The thing is for $20K of difference, I could listen to Tesla and a whole lot of other businesses that are all trying to make me happy out of goodness of their hearts Instead.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
The fact of the matter is that you are correct, it CAN be any truck. Everyone knows it intellectually and I believe many of the folks that watch this already know the specs; 0-60, doing donuts, ability to put a small white dog in one end of the hole and get a big black one out of the other end or even the whole adventure business is not anything any of us really need. Like most of the things we don’t need the message is give me your money and you will be happy. I don’t have kids, dogs and know nothing about advertising but by the end of it I was sold on the idea that this could make me happy. The thing is for $20K of difference, I could listen to Tesla and a whole lot of other businesses that are all trying to make me happy out of goodness of their hearts Instead.
You said, "and know nothing about advertising" though you did just summarize the history of advertising and marketing. :D

OCS12

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta ST, Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag
There’s just no point in advertising right now. I used to work in marketing before switching to an engineering career. Why spend money to market a product when the current demand already exceeds your ability to fill orders?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There’s just no point in advertising right now. I used to work in marketing before switching to an engineering career. Why spend money to market a product when the current demand already exceeds your ability to fill orders?
All true but nothing like poisoning the impressionable young minds so they can define success by buying your product later can keep that demand coming.

OCS12

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta ST, Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag
All true but nothing like poisoning the impressionable young minds so they can define success by buying your product later can keep that demand coming.
Believe it or not, too much hype can hurt you. I’ll use my current company as an example. Demand has skyrocketed, and we’re running production around the clock, including weekends. Then we went ahead and launched a new monster of an engine that accidentally opened up a pile of new orders. Now we’re desperately trying not to piss off customers by missing delivery dates. (Yes I work for an ICE manufacturer, don’t judge me. The recruiter from Tesla offered garbage)

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
If a hybrid came out with a 75-100Kw battery ( with 120 and 240 volt outlets) I would leave the CT.

I watched a video wherein a person spoke of his friend who went to his cabin/hunting lodge and was able to power it with his hybrid for about a week ( not sure exactly what the energy usage was).

That is what I like, and prefer.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I watched a video wherein a person spoke of his friend who went to his cabin/hunting lodge and was able to power it with his hybrid for about a week ( not sure exactly what the energy usage was).
For the average US home (let alone the minuscule use of a cabine!) a Cybertruck would probably be able to power it for 3-5 days.

I don't know that we'll be able to do 10a continuous from the inverter, but who knows?

-Crissa
Sponsored