Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
  • Banned
Are you familiar with the A-10, Warthog? The Tesla Utility vehicle seems like it is going to mirror the Warthog in more ways than I care to type.
For those that don't believe what I am going to say you can look it up, but my dad was responsible for the A-10's budget from the mid 1970's till the early 1980's (If I remember that right. he used to come home saying, "I signed a 154 million dollar check today." (That was in 1975 dollars!) So he and I have followed the life of that jet.
First it was built like the warthog. " Make a plane that can kill Russian tanks in Europe....we don't care what it looks like."
And what was produced was something that looks like a warthog...both the A-10 and the Tesla.
And they both surround the driver with some serious metal...the A-10 has a titanium Bathtub around the pilot.
The A-10 was produced to be a stopgap. The Russians had built so many tanks that it became obvious that NATO and the USA were never going to stop Russia from invading Europe in a ground battle. So The USA scrambled to create a "Tank Killer." It was supposed to be a quick short term move. The A-10 was never supposed to see the 20th century. I don't think it was meant to see the 1990's.
BUT... it just was too damn stout. The platform was too good to discard. And Pilots loved it. The Military Brass keep declaring a "Dead Date" for the warthog, but instead new tech is retrofitted into the old beast.
So, just like the A-10 warthog, I expect this Tesla Warthog to be around for a long time, and they re-gut it to let it stay on the road when it goes into "the next generation" of tech.
Of course this all depends on if the design is really that good.
Sponsored

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
First off, i like this comparison.

The The cyber truck also reminds me of some of the classic pickups from the 40's and 50's. They where built purely to get work done. Back then people didn't even want to put Pickups in there drive way because they considered them to be ugly and just for doing work. That began to change in the late fifties.

On another note, Why do you think the US has not decided to simply build some more A-10's.. they are freaking awesome.

OP
OP

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
  • Banned
First off, i like this comparison.

The The cyber truck also reminds me of some of the classic pickups from the 40's and 50's. They where built purely to get work done. Back then people didn't even want to put Pickups in there drive way because they considered them to be ugly and just for doing work. That began to change in the late fifties.

On another note, Why do you think the US has not decided to simply build some more A-10's.. they are freaking awesome.
It was never supposed to be a part of the real armed services. It was purely allowed to come into existence for the sole purpose of neutralizing the superiority of numbers the Russians had in Tanks in Europe. Even though it is loved by the military man, both pilots and ground troops, the Brass thinks it is not cool...not fast enough, or good-looking, or techy enough.
But I will add that if it was really seen by the people that matter, that more were needed it would be once again produced.
When the Cyber is 40 yrs old the same conundrum will exist? Make the Cyber, or try and make something better?

David R Kirkpatrick

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 P100S, Cybertruck ordered
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Are you familiar with the A-10, Warthog? The Tesla Utility vehicle seems like it is going to mirror the Warthog in more ways than I care to type.
For those that don't believe what I am going to say you can look it up, but my dad was responsible for the A-10's budget from the mid 1970's till the early 1980's (If I remember that right. he used to come home saying, "I signed a 154 million dollar check today." (That was in 1975 dollars!) So he and I have followed the life of that jet.
First it was built like the warthog. " Make a plane that can kill Russian tanks in Europe....we don't care what it looks like."
And what was produced was something that looks like a warthog...both the A-10 and the Tesla.
And they both surround the driver with some serious metal...the A-10 has a titanium Bathtub around the pilot.
The A-10 was produced to be a stopgap. The Russians had built so many tanks that it became obvious that NATO and the USA were never going to stop Russia from invading Europe in a ground battle. So The USA scrambled to create a "Tank Killer." It was supposed to be a quick short term move. The A-10 was never supposed to see the 20th century. I don't think it was meant to see the 1990's.
BUT... it just was too damn stout. The platform was too good to discard. And Pilots loved it. The Military Brass keep declaring a "Dead Date" for the warthog, but instead new tech is retrofitted into the old beast.
So, just like the A-10 warthog, I expect this Tesla Warthog to be around for a long time, and they re-gut it to let it stay on the road when it goes into "the next generation" of tech.
Of course this all depends on if the design is really that good.
I fail to see the similarity, either conceptually or stylistically. When CT was first introduced the comparison was made with an origami owl, and I think the comparison is more easily justified:
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Warthog 5C1D940B-5754-4C13-8BB2-CB766C8950B1
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Warthog 55D6A478-A1BA-4FBC-B314-1A2E48439DB0

Last edited:

David R Kirkpatrick

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
OK, for you hoorah types who donā€™t like the owl, here a F-117
comparison that does not need extreme photoshop:
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Warthog 000185F1-CAAF-4DAF-AB15-9A47307821C8
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Warthog 90521DA2-4EC1-4CF6-ACA9-14C169DDA967

scottysize

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Still donā€™t get comparison...Call me a peacenik...Iā€™ll take the owl.
Anyone who watched Red vs Blue, I'm sure the first thought was the Worthog from that Internet Show. I know it's not exactly like it, but that's the first place my mind when when they brought the truck out on stage.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Warthog maxresdefault

David R Kirkpatrick

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
OK, for you hoorah types who donā€™t like the owl, here a F-117
comparison that does not need extreme photoshop:
000185F1-CAAF-4DAF-AB15-9A47307821C8.jpeg
90521DA2-4EC1-4CF6-ACA9-14C169DDA967.jpeg
Interestingly the F-117 was a stealthy, barely armed jet, affectionately referred to as the ā€œNo Hope Diamondā€ that depended on FSD to plot course and return home.
Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Warthog 7D5C7CDC-8781-47CD-AF02-A6A0BD7152DB

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
A-10 is an awesome platform.
Here is a canon, now build a plane around it. Oh, and stick a ā€™bathtubā€™ in to protect the pilot. Carry tons of ordinance and allow to linger over mission area.
The canon has enough force to stop the plane if continuously fired. (And if it can hold enough rounds)
F-117: Can you make it stealthily?
Easy but, the plane will not be able to fly
Make it stealthy, we will teach it how to fly.
(heavily paraphrased)
Two designs following ā€˜form follows functionā€™ principal.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
I love the stat about the rate of fire for the canon. When I read that as a kid the A-10 became my favourite plain.
Sponsored