Armored glass is for a pending apocalypse and when this happens... just saying.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Armor glass was tested. Armor Glass failed the balls of steel test. How did Armor Glass legend grow to hunkd of concrete hurled by

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Failed? Did balls penetrate?
Right? IDK how that snippet got posted.

You make a great point! Like a fire sprinkler system doesn’t stop fire neither. Just allow escape. It did hold up. Driver would escape due to Armor Glass.

OP
OP
ev4me

ev4me

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (single motor)
Occupation
Construction Estimator
Country flag
Some have said armored glass is a pointless feature for a passenger vehicle. Elon joked that it badass and great for the apocalypse. I would say it's also beneficial for the times when lightning sends "the road" through the cab of a truck.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Some have said armored glass is a pointless feature for a passenger vehicle. Elon joked that it badass and great for the apocalypse. I would say it's also beneficial for the times when lightning sends "the road" through the cab of a truck.
Yeah, obviously no one really needs it but I think Elon put it best when Jay Leno asked him something like, "Armor glass? I mean, why would anyone want that?"

And Elon responded with something like' "It's bad ass. Look at it like this, if you could have a truck with armor glass or one without, which one would you want?"

Jay Leno: "Well, when you put it like that, yeah, I guess I'd want the one with armor glass!"

Case closed!

checho

First Name
sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB 300SD, MB 240D, Silverado 2003, cybertruck tri-motor on queue, elio on queue.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Armor glass is highly needed in places like Mexico, I lived in Mexico a few years and I know for a fact it is extremely dangerous especially for tourists, I saw many people get killed unofficially at the hands of corrupt cops the number one reason is theft. Base on a freedom index, Mexico is not the worst place, that puts armor glass useful in about half of the planet.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Armor glass is highly needed in places like Mexico, I lived in Mexico a few years and I know for a fact it is extremely dangerous especially for tourists, I saw many people get killed unofficially at the hands of corrupt cops the number one reason is theft. Base on a freedom index, Mexico is not the worst place, that puts armor glass useful in about half of the planet.
It is not just intention deeds that can hurt you. There are plenty of accidental events that could ruin your day or kill you.

This actually happened to me about 20 years ago as I was walking to a store. A large brick fell off a 3-story building and only missed hitting me on the head by 1 foot. Never saw it coming, fell 1-foot in front of me.

Other things that have happened to people (drivers or passengers).

Hail damage vehicle bodies & windows. Hail can be very large.
Hail has totaled cars. Hail has killed people.
Texas, Colorado, Oklahoma and other places have billions of dollars of hail damage a year.
After paying all the money for Cybertruck I sure do WANT my Cybertruck to be as hail-resistant as possible.

Rock or piece for concrete fall of buildings, bridges, cliffs.

Things fall off airplanes.

Rocks or pieces of junk falls off other trucks. One of the highest causes of semi trucks to be out of service is because of a cracked windshield.

Rocks or other road debris is kicked by other passing vehicles (traveling in either direction), and these objects become aerial missiles than can crack windshield and sometimes have enough force to completely pass thru.

Deer, dogs, and other animals can be hit & throw on to or thru the windshield. There are even cases where other vehicles hit the animal abut it is thrown on to your vehicle (in some case there is still enough force left that the 2nd car driver or passenger is the one injured or killed .

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
-----------------------------------------

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/hail-no-an-account-of-the-worlds-biggest-deadliest-hailstorms

Texas and Colorado are part of the “Hail Belt,” which means they deal with many of the worst hailstorms in the United States.

The last known hail fatality in the US happened in 2000 in Fort Worth, Texas when 19 year old Juan Oseguera was hit in the head with softball sized hail. Hail of this size falls at around 100mph, and weighing as much as a pound, the force is the equivalent someone throwing a masonry brick at your head, which is more than enough force to kill you.

But hail need not be huge to kill, it only has to be big enough.

In 1979 an infant was struck in the head and killed by a piece of golf ball sized hail in Fort Collins, Colorado while his mother clutched him running for cover.

Going back in the records, on May 13, 1939, near Lubbock, Texas a 39-year-old farmer died of injuries received when he was caught in an open field during a severe hailstorm (one of the three hail related deaths officially authenticated by the National Weather Service), and a fourteen year old boy was killed by hail while working in a field in Laredo, Texas in 1928.

Hail can also cause collateral death, as in the 1986 case of a plane near Addison Airport in Dallas Texas. Hail broke the windshield of a small plane, it crashed, and the pilot was killed.

Weather Whys: Killer Hail Storms
Apr 28, 2016
https://theeagle.com/townnews/meteo...cle_8471195c-0d72-11e6-a303-eb6b79c7de87.html

Q: How large do hailstones get?

A: Hail is usually pea-sized to marble-sized, says Orville, but big thunderstorms can produce big hail. "Hail up to six inches in diameter has fallen in parts of the Midwest," he says. "A hailstone the size of a baseball weighs about one-third of a pound, and since it can travel up to 90 miles an hour from its source cloud, it can create a lot of damage. Entire crops have been known to be wiped out in a few minutes with large hailstones. In 1978, about 200 sheep were killed in Montana when baseball-size hail struck them. The largest hailstone ever recorded in the U.S. occurred in 1970 in Coffeyville, Kan., when a stone weighing 1.6 pounds and measuring 5.5 inches fell, but we know that larger stones have fallen around the world. In 1984, a hail storm hit Denver and lasted almost one hour and the result was knee-deep hailstones on the ground. This is why hail can be such a damaging weather force."

A Delta flight was forced to make an emergency landing after hail made the plane's nose collapse
Thomas Pallini
Jul 8, 2020
https://www.businessinsider.com/del...cy-landing-after-hail-strike-2020-7?r=MX&IR=T

Last edited:

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Right? IDK how that snippet got posted.

You make a great point! Like a fire sprinkler system doesn’t stop fire neither. Just allow escape. It did hold up. Driver would escape due to Armor Glass.
Exactly. When you fire a bullet into bulletproof glass, it shatters one layer at least, but the bullet doesn't penetrate. That's considered successful. I'd say Cyberglass shattering was unexpected, but it successfully stopped the steel ball.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The biggest advantage of the glass over others is that it will shrug off most things which would scratch normal glass. More and more auto glass is laminated, and will stop things from penetrating. But this will refuse to be abraded. No more windshields with little flecks and stars. At least, hopefully.

-Crissa

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Failed? Did balls penetrate?
Exactly. Any other auto glass would have likely had the bearing in the seats.

Auto glass is really tough already, there was a great video of a guy desperately trying to break his Jetta windows and it took a lot. But once most auto glass breaks, it's crumbles into safety glass pieces. It's designed for this, but it also means that objects can penetrate the glass fairly easily. The windshield is usually a lot stronger, but I feel like the production armor glass will even blow that out of the water.

Looking at just a general Google search and finding the attached results, I think it's safe to say that the CT glass will hold up better than these examples. However, it's a low bar and I'm sure on launch some demo shop somewhere will have a CT challenge or some such.

Tesla Cybertruck Armored glass is for a pending apocalypse and when this happens... just saying. Screenshot_20210513-230554_Brave

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
-------------------
The biggest advantage of the glass over others is that it will shrug off most things which would scratch normal glass. More and more auto glass is laminated, and will stop things from penetrating. But this will refuse to be abraded. No more windshields with little flecks and stars. At least, hopefully.
I am not worried about specks or scratches.
I want fewer cracking incidents that cause replacement.

Yes, the Tesla Armor glass is not bullet-proof or 100% perfectly un-crackable.
BUT if it reduces the times I have to replace a cracked windshield that would be huge savings.

Everyday there is a truck spilling gravel or other stuff on to vehicles behind it.