John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
Here is a quartering view of a camper shell optimized for aerodynamics and my opinion about usable space. It extends 48" behind the rear bumper, the legal max.
Tesla Cybertruck CT with midgate as motorhome. CT Mid 76%22 + 48%22 Quarterview
. This tail area has an internal stand-up height of 6'4". The main body of the vault has 5' of internal height. The overall external height Is 7'9", 18 inches taller than the CT. I am hoping a vendor will manufacture and sell these as an empty shell.
Sponsored

Last edited:

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
If you mimic the angle at the back, you can reduce drag compared to a 90 degree plane to the ground.

OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
If you mimic the angle at the back, you can reduce drag compared to a 90 degree plane to the ground.
John, I have read that the CT's nose upslope is 18 degrees and the tail downslope is 6 degrees. My goal for this design was to have one spot that is stand up height. With the 16" step down behind the tail, putting the stand up spot there seemed the best choice. But i does incur an aero drag penalty. I would consider adding a fold out 'whale tail' like the 18wheelers have.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Have you thought that if you're making a more permanent adaptation you could use the space the rolling tonneau uses to hide in?
Isn't that where the blackwater goes?

Don't forget about the under bed storage.

This all makes me wonder if Tesla is going to ever sell a stripped version of this for adaptation. I don't love this hanging down idea much, but I imagine if Tesla offered a stripped version, some third party would come up with some interesting ideas.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Here is a side view.
Pretty obvious from this angle why there are no commercial campers like this. The departure angle is truly horrible on that. Very good chance you are going to hit that going to high center on even modestly steep driveways or grade changes.

OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
Ogre here it is with no drop. The range penalty for the height will be significant. A compromise between the two with a smaller drop might work. Other strategies could include only the front 16-24" being the lowest level with a step up near the rear.
I really want a stand up space. I have 100s of Cybertruck pop top drawings. I have money on a Canoo van and would consider a Rivian van. But I love my Model Y. When my CT number comes up, I'm doing something.
Tesla Cybertruck CT with midgate as motorhome. CT Shell 6'4%22Int + 48%22 copyNoDro

OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
Here is my current favorite pop top. It uses a $5k Bundutec 10' x 5' aluminum rooftop tent. I'd cut out 2/3 of the floor and make 1/3 foldable, leaving a 6' room with a shelf or a 6' bed with a 3' standing space. Top down it is under 7' tall.
Tesla Cybertruck CT with midgate as motorhome. CT Bundu up&dow

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm kind of waiting until the final truck ships to make any plans on this but seems like something like this is what you have in mind.

Tesla Cybertruck CT with midgate as motorhome. iu-4

There are similar ones which use a Roof top tent as the base.

After using camp mode in my car, I'm feeling a bit spoiled and figure whatever setup I have for camping is going to leverage that. So what happens with the whole "Midgate" and climate in the vault are going to determine what I do.

If they do the thing where the back seats fold down and I can lay half in the cab then I don't need much else for a tent.

OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
Here the Bundutec is positioned as forward as possible. Slight upslope on front. Pop top entry at rear now and reduced to 24" or so. Tri fold mattress onto 2 slideable panels. Thanks for jogging my mind. I like this compromise. Bundutec to scale at 118" long & 12" thick. 12" rear overhang. About 85" (7'1") tall. Height in the bed with top down and bed stowed about 51".
Tesla Cybertruck CT with midgate as motorhome. CT 10' Bundutec forward

Last edited:
OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
Bundutec 10' Rooftop tent optimized in the middle of the vault. This keeps the nose upslope constant. Access to the top made possible by the small step at rear. Bundutec is aluminum, 118" long, 63" wide & 12" thick. It raises 40"
Tesla Cybertruck CT with midgate as motorhome. CT 10' Bundutec Mid

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
My thought is so long as there is climate control, sleeping in the vault is the best bet. It's the right shape and size, secure from bugs/ animals, and warm. You can open the hatch with a quick tap on your phone or likely a button inside the vault. If there is a passthrough, you also have music and access to more storage up front.

We have an existing 8x8 pop up tent for any kind of kitchen/ lounge area.

My feeling on this is whatever I do I want it to tuck as much into my vault as possible to preserve range.

OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
Ogre have you camped a lot? I squat at Walmart a lot. No tents on the ground there. The vault itself would feel very claustrophobic. No windows. A 6" mattress would leave you only 18" at the feet and 28-30" at your head. To me it would feel like a coffin. A Mid-Gate would allow 24" at the feet and maybe 33-36" at your head. Plus windows. A very likely scenario for me. I currently have a Colorado camper van pop top on a Promaster van. It feels like a palace to me. I wish Tesla would make that.

Tesla Cybertruck CT with midgate as motorhome. PMCCV Top Up copy 2
Sponsored