Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Giga Shanghai produced 56k cars in September. If they continue at that rate they will produce more than 650,000 cars in the next 12 months. And it seems like there is no evidence this is the end of the growth there.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/tesla-stock-price-51634032330

Considering how much larger Tera Texas is, that leaves a lot of room for growth. Makes me optimistic we’ll see significantly more than 250,000 Cybertrucks per year Out of Texas.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I wasn’t quite sure what the size difference between Texas and Shanghai was
. Apparently Texas is 10x bigger!

That doesn’t necessarily mean 10x capacity potential I don’t think they are making cells in China so that is likely a big part of it
 but 10x. That’s a bunch.

see below

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I don't think Giga Shanghai makes cells. It sources from other factories.

https://insideevs.com/news/536663/tesla-giga-shanghai-production-high/

The maximum size allowed for facilities at Giga Shanghai (not currently this size) is 18,620,000 sq ft (It's current 9,300,000 sq ft). The buildings under construction (or completed) at Giga Texas are 23,752,397 sq ft. Austin also has more than 2,500 acres to devote to facilities, and they've only developed 500 acres so far.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don't think Giga Shanghai makes cells. It sources from other factories.

https://insideevs.com/news/536663/tesla-giga-shanghai-production-high/

The maximum size allowed for facilities at Giga Shanghai (not currently this size) is 18,620,000 sq ft (It's current 9,300,000 sq ft). The buildings under construction (or completed) at Giga Texas are 23,752,397 sq ft. Austin also has more than 2,500 acres to devote to facilities, and they've only developed 500 acres so far.

-Crissa
Damn. I must have misread the 10x number. I know the property is huge.

That‘s still 2.5* bigger which leaves nearly a Gig—Shanghai’s worth of space for the Cybertruck alone.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Damn. I must have misread the 10x number. I know the property is huge.

That‘s still 2.5* bigger which leaves nearly a Gig—Shanghai’s worth of space for the Cybertruck alone.
No, you weren't far off: Giga Shanghai only has 210 acres to play with. That part is 10x.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
No, you weren't far off: Giga Shanghai only has 210 acres to play with. That part is 10x.

-Crissa
Yes. But some of that will be ecological paradise remember

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
My backyard is 1600acres. Driveway is 1.7miles long and has a landing strip built in.

Maybe I should invite EM with a Terafactory or Spacex or something? :)

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Its actually already a "ecological paradise" for roos and emus. :cool:

But my point was actually that Australian manufacturing is going down the gurgler despite our state being world leaders in nickel, iron and lithium exports. We're adding zero value to the Australian dirt we export and getting stupider by the day doing it.

We barely make anything in our country anymore, as more and more jobs dissolve into services so there is enough baristas to serve fifty shades of lattes to FIFO workers surfing our beach. What we need is some new tech manufacturing. If only we had a idea for something that used the resources in our own backyard....sorry no time for that too busy digging our own hole in the ground.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Its actually already a "ecological paradise" for roos and emus. :cool:

But my point was actually that Australian manufacturing is going down the gurgler despite our state being world leaders in nickel, iron and lithium exports. We're adding zero value to the Australian dirt we export and getting stupider by the day doing it.

We barely make anything in our country anymore, as more and more jobs dissolve into services so there is enough baristas to serve fifty shades of lattes to FIFO workers surfing our beach. What we need is some new tech manufacturing. If only we had a idea for something that used the resources in our own backyard....sorry no time for that too busy digging our own hole in the ground.
Tesla doesn’t want to ship completed cars/ trucks all over the world. That’s why they have a factory in Asia/ Europe/ North America, their biggest markets. They did ship a bunch of Model Ys from China to Europe, but that’s likely to end with Giga Berlin.

Australia doesn’t have the demand for a Giga factory. At least not now.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Tesla doesn’t want to ship completed cars/ trucks all over the world. That’s why they have a factory in Asia/ Europe/ North America, their biggest markets. They did ship a bunch of Model Ys from China to Europe, but that’s likely to end with Giga Berlin.

Australia doesn’t have the demand for a Giga factory. At least not now.
Well there is a market if there was some leadership. Indonesia is right next door with 280million people too, a few hours by ship off the north coast. EM was even looking at Indonesia as a site for a giga factory, but why not here? Adelaide would be a prime candidate for cars, they shut down GM, Ford and Toyota plants there a few years ago.

We could also just do batteries and/or packs at least, no loss in shipping with those compared to unrefined bulk resources. We could make stainless steel for CT straight out too. Even have the renewables resources here for energy to do it. We might not be the lowest hanging fruit, but we're pretty low. We're also fairly stable and non-volatile as a country, bureaucracy can be nuts, but we can still get things done. We also love pickup trucks... :)

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Australia also seems to hate importing from the US. I guess you gotta leave room in the trade balance for nuclear subs.

-Crissa

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Australia also seems to hate importing from the US. I guess you gotta leave room in the trade balance for nuclear subs.

-Crissa
I'm glad we have US subs instead of French croissants. ;-p

We don't hate importing US, we simply can't afford to. The subs are all we can afford, and those we need before others start walking in instead and taking stuff without paying. The timing was way late on the French deal, we can lease the US ones right now, have the same guidance in our own Colon class subs etc as the Virginia class, so we just need to train up some nuke engineers and we should be ready for action. Or in this case deterrence.

But this is causality of the same existential crisis.
Weak as water leadership...the ship is going down under.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm glad we have US subs instead of French croissants. ;-p

We don't hate importing US, we simply can't afford to. The subs are all we can afford, and those we need before others start walking in instead and taking stuff without paying. The timing was way late on the French deal, we can lease the US ones right now, have the same guidance in our own Colon class subs etc as the Virginia class, so we just need to train up some nuke engineers and we should be ready for action. Or in this case deterrence.

But this is causality of the same existential crisis.
Weak as water leadership...the ship is going down under.
I was reading an article that suggested by the time the next submarine the Ausies bought from the US was finished there was a strong chance subs would be largely obsoleted by technological improvements in detection equipment. The Chinese in particular are working hard on this problem. Soon being underwater won’t be enough.
Sponsored