Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Appendix: Teslas track record with chargers is 100%. Ive had a fair number of down charge stops, but never a Tesla Supercharger stop with more than 1 stall down. Unreliable stops are only barely better than non-existent ones. Going the wrong way to find a broken charger is ?
Tesla Cybertruck Update from Elon: Cybertruck production starting late 2022 and volume production in 2023 1645661093145
Sponsored

TomGriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 MS 70D, 17 Bolt Premier, CT Reserved, Yamaha T7
Country flag
Started with 80% not 100% oops my bad. Add 2 bikes to the back and get to the hotel with 100 miles range left. Overnight, freezing temps, quick run to fish and chips… down to 75 miles range. Run into town at lunch to top off at the charging station at City Hall… the J1772 charger isn’t working, battery down to 68 miles.

No problem, I’ll run up to Waldport and hit the free L2 there and sip coffee for a couple hours.

It’s broken too. 50 miles. Range and ~15 miles from the hotel.

Florence is now 35 miles south Lincoln City is 30 miles north but further from the hotel…. Fuck.

So now I’m 45 miles from the hotel. About an hour drive.

Oregon can really use a reliable Tesla charger in either Newport or Florence… a bunch.

Now… would be good
I go for work from Portland to Coos Bay. If I had a newer Tesla with longer range it would be OK and I could make it from Eugene and back. With mine, I would have to drive down to Bandon to charge and I have to charge up into the slow, slow part of the battery in Eugene, so it would be a very long trip. I believe the Bolt could make it, but it would be tight without using a level 2. If there were more level 2 chargers in Coos Bay near where I need to park for work, it might work because I could charge while I'm working but that hasn't been an option so far. If there were a supercharger between Reedsport and Florence it would also be doable. If I have to stay the night (haven't had to yet since getting the Tesla) I think it will be fine since I should be able to charge overnight or at least catch one of the L2 chargers while I eat. EV charging infrastructure is getting better but still not where it needs to be to meet a lot of people's needs, particularly in rural areas.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Why not just the hotel with an outlet in Florence? They're always nice... According to Plugshare, there's three or four in Yachats proper.

-Crissa

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
I get what @TomGriff is saying but the Oregon coast while beautiful, is so remote that Oregonians or travellers up that coastline would have issues with EV"s. I live a sheltered life mostly in CA with trips to see the kids in Dana Point and Fresno (ouch). The wife and I range from Monterey Bay to Mendocino and Tahoe. There are several convenient and fast Super Charger options just about anywhere we go in-state.

Our usual is a fully loaded Model Y with a hitch bike rack and two ebikes on many of these trips and I still get 275+ miles on a full charge. I'd get more if I didn't have such a heavy foot.

My limited experiences with Charge Point and a Chevy Volt have been poor to awful. I don't want to have 3 or 4 apps on my phone to deal with these unreliable proprietary charge networks. The Superchargers are always open, fast and reliable.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Why not just the hotel with an outlet in Florence? They're always nice... According to Plugshare, there's three or four in Yachats proper.

-Crissa
Wife is doing an event in Yachats resort. Sometimes you don’t have the luxury of picking where you stay based on EV ownership.

Also, we stayed somewhere a few weeks ago and their page said they had a charger but they didn’t. Fortunately, a road trip along the Oregon Coast is hardly painful.

Tesla Cybertruck Update from Elon: Cybertruck production starting late 2022 and volume production in 2023 1645677279395

Tesla Cybertruck Update from Elon: Cybertruck production starting late 2022 and volume production in 2023 1645677327290

Bunch of sea lions were playing under the bridge when I was there, pretty cool.

Anyhow… more EV infra is definitely needed. Or at least what they have needs to be more reliable!

Topped up, if we need I’ll Hit the place in Florence on the way out. We shouldn’t need more than 20-30 miles Max.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Wife is doing an event in Yachats resort. Sometimes you don’t have the luxury of picking where you stay based on EV ownership.

Also, we stayed somewhere a few weeks ago and their page said they had a charger but they didn’t. Fortunately, a road trip along the Oregon Coast is hardly painful.

1645677279395.jpeg

1645677327290.jpeg

Bunch of sea lions were playing under the bridge when I was there, pretty cool.

Anyhow… more EV infra is definitely needed. Or at least what they have needs to be more reliable!

Topped up, if we need I’ll Hit the place in Florence on the way out. We shouldn’t need more than 20-30 miles Max.
My favorite photo of the 2017 Solar Eclipse has that bridge. I don't know who the photographer was.

Tesla Cybertruck Update from Elon: Cybertruck production starting late 2022 and volume production in 2023 eclipsebridge

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Eclipse photos always look fake. Even when real!
It's strange, but camera's have an extremely hard time capturing a total eclipse. This photo is the best representation of what I saw that day in Eastern Oregon. If you've never seen a Total Solar Eclipse this is what everyone is hoping to see. It's like there's a black CD floating in the sky with all these white wispy (angel hair looking stuff) around the edges. I just stood there and stared in disbelief, Because I've never seen anything like it. It was dusk, with planets visible, and a 360degree sunset all around, at 11am. I think that Eclipse lasted 2mins 10sec. And just as quickly as the sun went away, it re-appeared and the show was over.
You HAVE to be inside the path of totality, or you don't see any of that.
2024 Baby, I'll be in Arkansas!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It's strange, but camera's have an extremely hard time capturing a total eclipse. This photo is the best representation of what I saw that day in Eastern Oregon. If you've never seen a Total Solar Eclipse this is what everyone is hoping to see. It's like there's a black CD floating in the sky with all these white wispy (angel hair looking stuff) around the edges. I just stood there and stared in disbelief, Because I've never seen anything like it. It was dusk, with planets visible, and a 360degree sunset all around, at 11am. I think that Eclipse lasted 2mins 10sec. And just as quickly as the sun went away, it re-appeared and the show was over.
You HAVE to be inside the path of totality, or you don't see any of that.
2024 Baby, I'll be in Arkansas!
When the eclipse happened in Oregon I almost didn’t go to enjoy it Even though it was a 2 hour drive. Wound up going and staying with a friend and oh boy did not regret it. I might make the next one gotta see about timing.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
With regards to batteries/ range/ infrastructure. This whole thing reaffirms my desire for the Cybertruck with the biggest battery whatever that may be. Though if a solar option is out there I might consider a 320 mile range Cybertruck. Adding 15 miles per day instead of losing a similar amount would make trips like this massively simpler.

Also in general, reaffirms my desire for the Cybertruck. Much of this boils down to range loss due to bikes causing drag, a thing I Wouldn’t have with the truck.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, chargers are just too easily broken right now. There's no real reason for them to be as expensive as they are, either. They're a pretty simple device: A breaker and a resistor and a plug. That's really it. I keep hoping a massive investment will lower those prices as they become more normalized.

And I grew up on the coast, I live on the coast now, I know it's beautiful. Tho Oregon it's hard not to find something beautiful anywhere in the state. Like, anywhere, anywhere. Eastern Oregon is gorgeous, too, with its igneous bluffs and seasonal lakes. Like, there's one bluff made entirely of garnet. It's like something out of a sci fi but set in a picturesque small town like out of a TV show.

-Crissa

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Eclipse photos always look fake. Even when real!
What do you mean? Eclipses aren't real. My uncle told me they're just part of the hoax lefty "science" people use to confuse people into thinking the earth is not flat. That's why all eclipse pictures look fake. THEY ARE!

I think somebody's had their foil hat off too long.

:)

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
What do you mean? Eclipses aren't real. My uncle told me they're just part of the hoax lefty "science" people use to confuse people into thinking the earth is not flat. That's why all eclipse pictures look fake. THEY ARE!

I think somebody's had their foil hat off too long.

:)
I do believe this is sarcasm.
But I'd like to take this opportunity to show my favorite video that captured the experience of being in the path of totality in an awesome way. This person uploaded a dashcam video of driving around in Columbus, South Carolina.
At the beginning, he has a time-lapse. But the real-time action, which starts at 12 seconds, is perfect. They're stopped at a red light and it's still daytime, with people across the street, looking up at the sun with their solar glasses. As the light turns green, everything has changed, it is no longer daytime. Our Solar traveler passes by cheering crowds of onlookers starstruck at the sight of a solar eclipse. At one point, he tries to capture the view of that black disk in the sky, but the camera can't handle the dark conditions. Then gradually the show is over, and it goes back to daytime.
Really cool way to capture the experience!! AND YES IT'S REAL!!!!!!

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
I was inside Cheyenne Mtn during this eclipse. We were not in the area of totality but if I remember we were something just north of 80%. I was running late, but I ran out to watch it and I honestly thought I missed it when I saw the entrance to the mountain tunnel still lit up like day light. I put my protective glasses on and looked up and to my surprise it looked like well over 80% of the sun was covered. It was awesome, but also really impressive how bright it was outside with less then 20% of sunlight reaching us. Honestly with glasses off and not knowing there was an eclipse, judging solely by how bright it was outside, I would not have known it happening.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I was inside Cheyenne Mtn during this eclipse. We were not in the area of totality but if I remember we were something just north of 80%. I was running late, but I ran out to watch it and I honestly thought I missed it when I saw the entrance to the mountain tunnel still lit up like day light. I put my protective glasses on and looked up and to my surprise it looked like well over 80% of the sun was covered. It was awesome, but also really impressive how bright it was outside with less then 20% of sunlight reaching us. Honestly with glasses off and not knowing there was an eclipse, judging solely by how bright it was outside, I would not have known it happening.
This is why to get the effect you really have to be in the totality to really appreciate the effect. That last 1% or so of the sun being gone is huge.

Some friends of mine pedaled up to a mountain peak and said it was just stunning.
Sponsored