Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Interestingly - since just Wednesday I checked and - the 4680 Model Y has been seemingly removed from the design studio. Either this means they know how to make the 4680 in the Long Range version or something's up as they ready the factory...

-Crissa
Sponsored

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
so if the 2nd generation 4680 will be in the CT, that would confirm that the first release CT will probably be the 2-motor version with at most 350 mil range and 10 k towing capacity vs the 500 mi CT which will need G3 4680 or higher.

Although this is a bit disappointing, I will take whatever is offered me, just like my RWD long range M3 in 2018.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
so if the 2nd generation 4680 will be in the CT, that would confirm that the first release CT will probably be the 2-motor version with at most 350 mil range and 10 k towing capacity vs the 500 mi CT which will need G3 4680 or higher.

Although this is a bit disappointing, I will take whatever is offered me, just like my RWD long range M3 in 2018.
No, since the 'Cyber cell' is already being produced, it wasn't in vehicles. It may just mean they've sold out of the 'generation 1' cells and they want to commit to making the cyber cells.

We don't know the cell layout in the Cybertruck battery yet.

-Crissa

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
I don't think it confirms anything. I don't think the tri has to have a different generation 4680. Of course, those are possibilities, but I don't think anything is confirmed.

If I wanted to believe this signals something that confirms what I either want it to, or confirms my fears, then I could say that the move sets up the 4680 cells to be ALL cybercells, and that this confirms all initial production while they ramp up to be quad-motor double stacked CTs with a 600+ mile range. OR, the poor limited production of 4680s and this shut down confirms that the single motor 300 mile version is all that will be available until they can add (10%/25%/50%/double) the Gen2 cybercell energy density.

It all comes down to your personal bias and what kind of spin you want to put on it.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
John, a forum member has a great look at his thoughts on the current battery situation

NoTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
Country flag
Here's a crazy thought, and yes I do think it's very unlikely and possibly nonsensical.
Maybe they're converting GFTX into exclusive Cybertruck production or at least lowering production capability for the Model Y?
I know, it doesn't make sense for a lot of reasons and that would be a huge gamble for something that could be a flop. I'm just thinking they must be doing something big because they're losing $$$ every day that factory isn't putting out product.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
Here's a crazy thought, and yes I do think it's very unlikely and possibly nonsensical.
Maybe they're converting GFTX into exclusive Cybertruck production or at least lowering production capability for the Model Y?
I know, it doesn't make sense for a lot of reasons and that would be a huge gamble for something that could be a flop. I'm just thinking they must be doing something big because they're losing $$$ every day that factory isn't putting out product.
25k model and Robotaxi will be built at GT also

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They're shifting over the electrical systems to operate off their new switchyard, megapacks, and time-delayed solar.

So it's just best to do all the work you can at the same time.

-Crissa

NoTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
Country flag
That switchover should take a relatively short period of time. Hours, not weeks.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
Yes, that's what I've heard. It's something they're working on as a template to use for the GIGA Mexico production of the Compact/ROBOTAXI
Their best engineers don't want to move to Mexico.
Work out engineering, tooling, and get line fine tuned in time for GM.
Sponsored