A lifelong ford truck owner - Ford Lightning vs Cybertruck / EV expert calls it like it is! - EP #4

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Ford Lightning vs Cybertruck - A lifelong ford truck owner / EV expert calls it like it is! - EP #4
NOT EVEN CLOSE TOTAL KNOCK OUT
The Tesla Cybertruck is an all-electric, battery-powered, light duty truck announced by Tesla, Inc. Three models have been announced, with EPA range estimates of 400–800 kilometres (250–500 mi) and an estimated 0–100 km (0–62 mi) time of 2.9–6.5 seconds, depending on the model.[11]
The stated goal of Tesla in developing the Cybertruck is to provide a sustainable energy substitute for the roughly 6,500 fossil-fuel-powered trucks sold per day in the United States
May 25, 2021
NJRE

Awesome review and why if you want the features of Cybertruck, if you are a serious competitor in many ways your truck will also have to look like a Cybertruck.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Great to have a nice unbiased review of the two products. For those of you who haven't already figured it out that's sarcasm. I thought I was a Tesla fanboy but relative to this guy I'm Gordon Johnson. Of course much of what he says is true but it is how it is played that shows his bias (plus the fact that he is wearing a Giga Factory shirt).

I'm not going to cancel reservation for a 500 mi CT to put down an extra 20K for a 300 mile Ford even if it does come with a free 19 kW DC charger that can do V2H and DC chaging at 19 kW which fact he conveniently forgot to mention in comparing price. V2H capabilities of the two trucks he deems "a draw" on the basis that Tesla might offer such a thing by the time the CT rolls out.

Actually the most valuable part of the video to me was a footnote which I caught as it flashed by on one of the Ford V2H slides. It said the house has to be equipped with an appropriate transfer switch. This answers the question, being discussed mostly in another thread, as to how the Ford system manages anti-islanding.

As for the conclusion that to build a good truck you must do what Tesla did. Nonsense. Tesla wanted to build an inexpensive truck so they looked at parts of the process where they could save money. Stamping curved surfaces and painting them were two big ones. So somone said "let's use stainless, fold it into shape and not paint it". "Wow, that's going to make one ugly truck" notes someone else but the guy with the idea remembers Big Blue (IBM) and says "If you can't fix it, feature it!" And here we are.

Take this guy with a healthy pinch of salt!

Last edited:

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I think the CT looks awesome. Agree, video is slightly biased.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Great to have a nice unbiased review of the two products. For those of you who haven't already figured it out that's sarcasm. I thought I was a Tesla fanboy but relative to this guy I'm Gordon Johnson. Of course much of what he says is true but it is how it is played that shows his bias (plus the fact that he is wearing a Giga Factory shirt).

I'm not going to cancel reservation for a 500 mi CT to put down an extra 20K for a 300 mile Ford even if it does come with a free 19 kW DC charger that can do V2H and DC chaging at 19 kW which fact he conveniently forgot to mention in comparing price. V2H capabilities of the two trucks he deems "a draw" on the basis that Tesla might offer such a thing by the time the CT rolls out.

Actually the most valuable part of the video to me was a footnote which I caught as it flashed by on one of the Ford V2H slides. It said the house has to be equipped with an appropriate transfer switch. This answers the question, being discussed mostly in another thread, as to how the Ford system manages anti-islanding.

As for the conclusion that to build a good truck you must do what Tesla did. Nonsense. Tesla wanted to build an inexpensive truck so they looked at parts of the process where they could save money. Stamping curved surfaces and painting them were two big ones. So somone said "let's use stainless, fold it into shape and not paint it". "Wow, that's going to make one ugly truck" notes someone else but the guy with the idea remembers Big Blue (IBM) and says "If you can't fix it, feature it!" And here we are.

Take this guy with a healthy pinch of salt!
You are right, they totally should have just said, "lets make it look exactly like the only other unibody pickup truck the Honda Ridgeline. And lets keep making really complicated door assemblies." That was sarcasm too.

Here is the link to the Cybertruck door patent. Its genius. Anytime you can get redundancy of function when you are building something, you likely have a better and more cost effective design. The thicker stainless door panels now are the crash/burgler bar, the structural shell (possibly load bearing from the unibody frame) and they are the finish surface. I hate that every car I have ever owned is painted. I am very mechanical and can literally keep my vehicles going forever and usually end up getting rid of them because painting them cost more than they are worth. I make good money and its more out of frugality than anything.

If Ford or GM etc. are going to catch up, they are going to have to get rid of those heavy frames and switch to a lighter exoskeleton type design or come with some other type of revolutionary design change. Correct, It won't need to be stainless, but it will likely be shaped like a truss and have a sail pillar on the sides of the truck bed so he is right there. Personally, in most cases I would choose the stainless option over the painted steel option any day. But that's mostly because I know quality and durability when I see it.

Partially the future of EVs is what they call massless exoskeletons. Essentially they are working to integrate the batteries into already necessary parts. In the case of cars it would seem the batteries will be integrated into the body panels. They are called massless because the intent is to make the combined weight of the battery and shell the same weight as the part it is replacing so it doesn't add mass and therefore the battery is massless. Telsa is working toward doing this in the Cybertruck with the structural battery pack, the pack will act partially as the frame and the battery. Again, redundancy of function working to make the design more efficient. And, yes, the other manufacturers will need to do this too if they want to catch up.

Tesla is years ahead and they will stay that way as long as they stay open minded and innovative.
Sponsored