Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
awaiting Foundation AWD CyberTruck; Volvo XC90
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Watched Everyday Chris’ just released video on tinting his windows in the CyberTruck. It got me thinking about the ramifications for an older adult (I’m 65) vs. leaving it without a tint (beyond the factory standard tint). As we age, there’s a natural dimming of brightness that is experienced.

So I asked ChatGPT-4 (for those not familiar, an artificial intelligence that you literally hold a conversation with like you would another person) for its opinion. It said for someone in my age bracket, it may not be advisable due to it being more difficult to see in low-light conditions.

Additionally, I asked Perplexity (choosing the AI model Claude Opus) and it said the following:

”So in weighing the balance, I believe the relatively modest glare reduction of a light tint is not worth the potential for impaired vision, especially at night. For older drivers dealing with increased glare sensitivity, other solutions like polarized sunglasses, using the sun visor, or avoiding driving at night are likely better options than tinting. The risks of reduced light transmission and altered contrast/color probably outweigh any anti-glare benefits of tinting for aging eyes. Overall, I would advise against window tinting for drivers over 65 in most cases.”

Thoughts?

Kevin
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
While chatgpt would only have the 'general wisdom' of the training data - basically, it doesn't know more than the average person... It can't discern fact from fiction.

There's no actual evidence. Older people are just worse at this.

I'm against tinted windows generally, though.

-Crissa

edc

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Y, Cybertruck
Country flag
OP
OP

NightOwl

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
While chatgpt would only have the 'general wisdom' of the training data - basically, it doesn't know more than the average person... It can't discern fact from fiction.
But what it does very well is separately highlight the positives and negatives of a given potential action or scenario. I didn’t post that part of its answer. This helps a person weigh both sides. So even if its suggested action is based on a composite of its training data, the process it goes through to reach its conclusion is helpful If reviewed.

Thanks for your response. In the past we’ve never tinted windows. And haven’t felt like we’ve missed it. Are you against it in general for a specific reason beyond just a personal preference kind of thing?

OP
OP

NightOwl

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
haha. It's what you want to do! It does make sense that our vision deteriorates as we age. I suggest no tint for a month and see how it feels and if you get used to it great!

But if you really wanted to 3m makes a very nice 3m crystalline tint that is very good at heat rejection but you can barely tell its there. Or even xpel 70 percent.

https://xpel.za.com/products/window-film/prime-xr/

https://www.google.com/search?sca_e...721&dpr=1.65#vhid=ai13H098STMafM&vssid=mosaic
Hi Chris. Thanks for responding! I think that’s what we’re going to do (wait and see). After seeing your video it got me wondering what made you decide to do it. Was it something you planned to do from the start? Or did you decide you needed it after living with it for a while?

While pondering on it, I wondered about the loss of brightness perception in older people. Particularly having never had tinting beyond what the manufacturer installs. Although I wear glasses, I’m generally not a person who likes to wear sunglasses (I know I’m in a minority on this). So there’s also that … 😆

Stumbled upon your videos while looking for additional information on CyberTruck from people who own them. Informative and helpful. Thanks!

bigmoose70

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, 23' Model X
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This is my opinion. Cameras in the Tesla w/ AI will overcome any negatives of tint. But might take a year or two to get there so in meantime maybe no tint.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Watched Everyday Chris’ just released video on tinting his windows in the CyberTruck. It got me thinking about the ramifications for an older adult (I’m 65) vs. leaving it without a tint (beyond the factory standard tint). As we age, there’s a natural dimming of brightness that is experienced.

So I asked ChatGPT-4 (for those not familiar, an artificial intelligence that you literally hold a conversation with like you would another person) for its opinion. It said for someone in my age bracket, it may not be advisable due to it being more difficult to see in low-light conditions.

Additionally, I asked Perplexity (choosing the AI model Claude Opus) and it said the following:

”So in weighing the balance, I believe the relatively modest glare reduction of a light tint is not worth the potential for impaired vision, especially at night. For older drivers dealing with increased glare sensitivity, other solutions like polarized sunglasses, using the sun visor, or avoiding driving at night are likely better options than tinting. The risks of reduced light transmission and altered contrast/color probably outweigh any anti-glare benefits of tinting for aging eyes. Overall, I would advise against window tinting for drivers over 65 in most cases.”

Thoughts?

Kevin
I'm in that age range and I don't see a need for tinting, in Georgia. The windows and roof are already tinted.

OP
OP

NightOwl

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is my opinion. Cameras in the Tesla w/ AI will overcome any negatives of tint. But might take a year or two to get there so in meantime maybe no tint.
Interesting point. Hadn’t thought about that.

OP
OP

NightOwl

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm in that age range and I don't see a need for tinting, in Georgia. The windows and roof are already tinted.
Thanks for the feedback.

I’m in Georgia too. Just a little south of you, in Gwinnett County by Lake Lanier.

Kevin

OP
OP

NightOwl

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Nice.

And you’ve got yours already? How are you liking it?

OP
OP

NightOwl

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
😂

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
But what it does very well is separately highlight the positives and negatives of a given potential action or scenario. I didn’t post that part of its answer. This helps a person weigh both sides. So even if its suggested action is based on a composite of its training data, the process it goes through to reach its conclusion is helpful If reviewed.

Thanks for your response. In the past we’ve never tinted windows. And haven’t felt like we’ve missed it. Are you against it in general for a specific reason beyond just a personal preference kind of thing?
There are inconclusive studies trying to discern tint of shading or color rejection to see if it would change the perceived glare and so far, the answer is no.

Glasses do this far more effectively and personalized.

I don't buy the 'eye contact' thing - I literally don't believe in it, although with an autism spectrum diagnosis, I probably am biased against that, as well. Mostly, I find insulating drivers from the outside makes them more likely to be drowsy and ignore things going on outside their bubble.

Are you cutting a hole in the tint for the cameras to see out?

-Crissa

CTFS2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Country flag

Thoughts?

Kevin
I used to not tinted my cars' windshield and windows. But after tinting my MYP, I found that it's significantly better with "ceramic" tinted, specially during summer heat.
Sitting in the front seats, the heat is very intense due the shape of the windshield (specially CT windshield is far up).
But I do not like dark tint (50% windshield, 15% driver and passenger), I had this tint previously and it does interfere with your vision at night.
I always use ceramic tint (Lumar, Xpel, 3M) 70% or 80% Windshield, 35% (or Medium) for front drivers/passengers. The differences in the comfort and AC running in the summer heat (specially driving to Utah, Vegas etc...) are very high.
Since my first ceramic tinted car, I always tinted my car just for the comfort of driving during the summer. Since I live in So Cal, we have more warmer weather, so I benefit a lot.
The suggestions from others are very good, drive it for a while, then make decision. Since warmer weather is here, you will know right away. .
Sponsored