JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Everything is political. So it's more of a tolerance level than anything.

-Crissa
Spoken like a true politician.

It is most definitely not to those that can think for themselves.

Can I get the dictionary out again for you?

politics
noun
'the activities associated with the governance of a country or area, especially the debate between parties having power.'
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Spoken like a true politician.

It is most definitely not to those that can think for themselves.

Can I get the dictionary out again for you?

politics
noun
'the activities associated with the governance of a country or area, especially the debate between parties having power.'
See, you say 'think for themselves' but...

...that's a political position. It's not a real statement. Everything is touched by politics... just as was mentioned, just getting medical care or choosing a method to euthanize animals is inherently a political decision.

-Crissa

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Not sure if you read my post at all, but I didn't always make the case for EV's, neither was I trying to persuade just the non-EVers. :)

The point of the exercise was to show that some arguments, although sounding preposterous at first glance, actually had some background in truth, although some are warped by individual perception or lack of knowledge of how things technically work.

I suppose exactly like what your comment proves. (Although slightly humorous ;))

Calling someone something doesn't automatically give them all of the qualities that are implied in the name. e.g. "ICE user" doesn't equal revhead speedster who will acknowledge the need for speed.
It might be a mother working 3 jobs to break even and bringing her kids to school in a ICE which is all she can afford, that has those fears. It's not her fault she can't afford an EV, and it's also not her fault if she isn't exposed to why, at least some of those fears, are unfounded, and should influence her decision to buy one.

"Understanding" means to have insight into other peoples perspectives, so that one can have a greater tolerance for differentiation.

For example; I could give you a hundred reasons why cars shouldn't exist at all in the first place, be they EV's or ICE. There's a reason villagers chased the first cars out of their village with pitchforks. If only we had headed their warning to avoid global warming? The Mercedes car museum in Stuttgart is actually quite interesting and gives a different perspective on the evolution of the automobile in a social context. The automobile has long been used as a symbol of good and evil, rich and poor, to this day. I'd recommend it.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
See, you say 'think for themselves' but...

...that's a political position. It's not a real statement. Everything is touched by politics... just as was mentioned, just getting medical care or choosing a method to euthanize animals is inherently a political decision.

-Crissa
That is not a political position. That is a natural fact.
You can only have politics between two or more people. (Like war remember?)

One person, who can have their own original thoughts, doesn't need any other person to confirm their own bias.

Like EM said recently, do you know who's programing is running your head, and do you want it there?

Explain how the behavior of the natural world is "political" without changing the meaning and definition of "political" as is commonly accepted. Without definition there is entropy.

Example of non-political: Rock falls off cliff. Sun rises. Galaxy forms. Leaves grow on trees. Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the other side. No politics required.

Or maybe "everything" is NOT everything after all? :unsure:

Hence my statement that you speak like a 100% politician, because you have something that you seek validation from others, so you and your ideas have a place to belong. Have you ever tried to do something nobody else has ever done? Try some self-validation to get your own perspective, you don't have to parrot other peoples perspectives to find yourself, in fact doing so will only bring you further away from who you really are. Remember: Who you believe to be, is not the same as who you are; so finding yourself means shedding the beliefs that others have imposed on you.

It might be good time to exclude politics and get on with life, if it's come to the point that "everything is political".

OP
OP
SwampNut

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Neither medical care nor killing injured animals have any politics at all. Politicians have limited our choices on both in many places, that doesn't make it political.

I should ask my doctor how he identifies. I know he's at least a bit pro government funding, but the ACA's complexity forced him and his wife out of private practice and into a major company. Hmm, I'll ask next time.

He's considering buying a Tesla to replace his mid-size ICE, so maybe he's just a raging liberal? I guess? So silly.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Neither medical care nor killing injured animals have any politics at all. Politicians have limited our choices on both in many places, that doesn't make it political.
Literally it does. As pointed out, having easy access to opioids or firearms has deleterious effects on a community. And treating women with the same respect as men get is still a fight, a hundred years after they got a vote. So of course medical decisions become political.

Your privilege to be ignorant of these difficulties - and blame it on 'politicians' - is also political.

I should ask my doctor how he identifies. I know he's at least a bit pro government funding, but the ACA's complexity forced him and his wife out of private practice and into a major company. Hmm, I'll ask next time.
This is untrue. There are no 'complexities' forced on doctors from the ACA. No one forced him to accept insurance - and no one is forced to have insurance (you can opt for a bond proof instead).

Another one of your 'I'm not political' political statements. Politics are everywhere.

-Crissa

OP
OP
SwampNut

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
That's untrue; insurance or not, the new coding requirements were still problematic. But hey, what the hell would his wife know about it, she'd only been a medical office manager for 20 years.

Having access to firearms makes most communities safer, but not all.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's untrue; insurance or not, the new coding requirements were still problematic. But hey, what the hell would his wife know about it, she'd only been a medical office manager for 20 years.
And this is where you don't point to anything in the ACA. And yet you blame it.

Having access to firearms makes most communities safer, but not all.
You can state things, but that doesn't mean they're true. Statistics and evidence, again, disagree with you.

It's up to you to decide what you do when that happens. That's why your statements are political.

-Crissa

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I wouldn't worry about it at all. Pretty much every EV made was a buyer waiting for it. Demand will likely outstrip supply for at least several more years. The antiEV faction will slowly dwindle as more are on the road.
Agreed. That is what we are seeing now. However, I think a few years down the road there might be 10% or so who dig their heels in.

Even as EV's become the obvious economic choice, and there are charging opportunities galore for road trips and people still without level II home charging, and new car sales are 90% EV, there will be a vocal minority of people who love to be "different" and will buy gas cars just because it's not following the herd and it's a statement of "FY" to everyone around them. Maybe they live on oil royalties or maybe they just identify with being "that asshole" and they are willing to stretch their budget to be the person flipping the bird to the world.

I'm not a big fan of laws outlawing ICE sales at some future date because I think it creates the false impression that electrified transportation is being forced upon us by governments. However, those laws might be necessary for the last 10% who cannot think rationally and don't care about making smart decisions when it comes to safety, convenience and their own pocketbooks. Because they would rather be that asshat flipping the bird to the rest of civilization, even if it hits them hard in the pocketbook. Sort of like early EV adopters in reverse.

OP
OP
SwampNut

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
And this is where you don't point to anything in the ACA. And yet you blame it.
I did point to a specific thing, and I didn't blame it, a medical office manager told me this. And not just ONE medical office manager. Aside from my doctor, our largest client is...drumroll...a medical billing outsource company. ACA requirements were great for them, and for us, as they doubled in size.

Facts, not politics, and not even things I believe. I respect experts when they tell me about their industry.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I did point to a specific thing, and I didn't blame it, a medical office manager told me this. And not just ONE medical office manager. Aside from my doctor, our largest client is...drumroll...a medical billing outsource company. ACA requirements were great for them, and for us, as they doubled in size.

Facts, not politics, and not even things I believe. I respect experts when they tell me about their industry.
Every word you used was political. None of it was a fact. There was an anecdote, but your choice to share it? That's political. Your choice not to research it? Political.

-Crissa

OP
OP
SwampNut

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Every word you used was political.
Not one of it was political, it's just what happened and it's fact. I didn't express an opinion on whether it was good or bad; that would be political. Just a straight line, regulation occurred, business changes happened, that's it. Were they good or bad business changes? Is ACA right or not? Political and I said nothing about that.

audi2tesla

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3; 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan
Country flag
Agreed. That is what we are seeing now. However, I think a few years down the road there might be 10% or so who dig their heels in.

Even as EV's become the obvious economic choice, and there are charging opportunities galore for road trips and people still without level II home charging, and new car sales are 90% EV, there will be a vocal minority of people who love to be "different" and will buy gas cars just because it's not following the herd and it's a statement of "FY" to everyone around them. Maybe they live on oil royalties or maybe they just identify with being "that asshole" and they are willing to stretch their budget to be the person flipping the bird to the world.

I'm not a big fan of laws outlawing ICE sales at some future date because I think it creates the false impression that electrified transportation is being forced upon us by governments. However, those laws might be necessary for the last 10% who cannot think rationally and don't care about making smart decisions when it comes to safety, convenience and their own pocketbooks. Because they would rather be that asshat flipping the bird to the rest of civilization, even if it hits them hard in the pocketbook. Sort of like early EV adopters in reverse.
Agree with you 100%.

It's ironic that these types of illogical idiots are so predictable, however much sense it does not make.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Every word you used was political. None of it was a fact. There was an anecdote, but your choice to share it? That's political. Your choice not to research it? Political.

-Crissa
Lol talk about kettle calling the pot black.

You still don't get the point that not all things are political. Talk about a 1 track mind.

You just want to argue for the sake of it, let alone share something useful.

Not to better yourself or anyone else.

Boring...next!
Sponsored

Last edited: