Anyone else catch the 800v comment in the earnings call Q1 2022?

israndy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2012 Mitsubishi I-Miev, 2x 2007 Vectrix VX-1, 2000 Honda Insight, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired from IT
Country flag
I remember JD and Elon laughing at the announcement that Porsche was going 900 volts and Elon's comment was that you would then have to worry about arcing happening. Not sure what other weirdness people are talking about when volts go over 600.

I remember talking with the original Amiga Computer developers who were having to deal with the switching speeds of CPUs, the software guys couldn't wrap their heads around the effects of increasing the frequency of the processor (it was at 1 MHz back then). The hardware guys could talk all day about reflections on the wire and the physics of higher electric frequencies. But it made no sense to the SW guys who just issue an instruction and time how long it takes to execute. Love pushing boundaries.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Not sure what other weirdness people are talking about when volts go over 600.
There's a bunch of weird physics things... like the current begins flowing more and more on the surface of the conductor instead over spread through it at higher voltage. Different materials start acting like conductors instead of insulators. Arcing and charged plasma more easily forms, as well as geometric patterns.

Weird stuff.

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
There's a bunch of weird physics things... like the current begins flowing more and more on the surface of the conductor instead over spread through it at higher voltage. Different materials start acting like conductors instead of insulators. Arcing and charged plasma more easily forms, as well as geometric patterns.

Weird stuff.

-Crissa
+1

Of course "weirdness" is not scientifically accurate, but not everyone here has a background in electricity. Or we wouldn't need to have this conversation.

To Crissa's first point, do you know that high-voltage transmission lines are tubes, not wires as you think of them? There's a steel core for strength, but the electricity rides on the exterior conductor material, copper or alloy.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There's a bunch of weird physics things... like the current begins flowing more and more on the surface of the conductor instead over spread through it at higher voltage.
Yes but only AC. Doesn't apply to DC.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
You know Tesla still uses three-phase AC motors right? I mean, you could drop voltage from the pack via the inverter, but then why bother?

OP
OP

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
I remember talking with the original Amiga Computer developers who were having to deal with the switching speeds of CPUs, the software guys couldn't wrap their heads around the effects of increasing the frequency of the processor (it was at 1 MHz back then). T
Clocked at ~7-8mhz back then for the Motorola 68000 processor in the original Amiga 500/2000 models. I use to repair those back in the day at an authorized repair center.

I liked the software hacks folks had that could control the floppy drive servos/motors so finely they could make them screech/whine out audio tunes. Wasn't very good on the drives but it was entertaining at the time.

Even found it cool that the Amiga via some emulation software and some bootleg ROMS could boot up and run the Mac OS and do it even faster than the Mac could via the co-processer support the Amiga had that was lacking in the Macs.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Gotta be careful when they start getting the voltage up there weird things happen.

Tesla Cybertruck Anyone else catch the 800v comment in the earnings call Q1 2022? 1650927120836

Tesla Cybertruck Anyone else catch the 800v comment in the earnings call Q1 2022? 1650927248795

Believe it or not, the speedthe first vehicle departs the time stream was determined by the movie the second was featured in.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yes but only AC. Doesn't apply to DC.
Oh, different weirdness applies to AC than DC. You still get weirdness.

And yes, by weird, I just mean 'outside our normal experience'. The mantle of the Earth is pretty weird, too, as is the skin of the sun: Because the conditions are so radically different from what we experience. Presumably they're totally logical in their own way.

-Crissa
Sponsored