Armored glass is for a pending apocalypse and when this happens... just saying.

Cyberpark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Benz,CT
Country flag
Hopefully CT will not only be bulletproof but also bird dropp-proof.:p
Sponsored

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
-------------------

I am not worried about specks or scratches.
I want fewer cracking incidents that cause replacement.

Yes, the Tesla Armor glass is not bullet-proof or 100% perfectly un-crackable.
BUT if it reduces the times I have to replace a cracked windshield that would be huge savings.

Everyday there is a truck spilling gravel or other stuff on to vehicles behind it.
That's basically the idea as stated for the semi since there's a cottage industry of semi windhield repairs that exists soleley because it's illegal in most states for a semi to have any windshield damage. When I had to get my F350 windshield replaced due to a growing crack it was almost $500, and it still got chipped the following week by a gravel truck. Will be worth the front end Costa if it works as advertised.

I also seem to remember Musky claiming that the armor glass is actually bullet proof too, but he glossed over it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Specks and scratches cause cracks. Can't crack if it doesn't speck. And most repairs are for stars and flecks anyhow.
Maybe with previous windshields specks and scratches have high probability of expanding to cracks.

Not all materials act that way. Some materials can get specks and scratches yet have a no or low probability of those specks and scratches to later expanding into cracks.

We do not have enough info to know how Tesla Armor glass will handle specks and scratches.
Hopefully Tesla Armor glass is more resistant to specks and scratches expanding into cracks.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
That's basically the idea as stated for the semi since there's a cottage industry of semi windshield repairs that exists solely because it's illegal in most states for a semi to have any windshield damage. When I had to get my F350 windshield replaced due to a growing crack it was almost $500, and it still got chipped the following week by a gravel truck. Will be worth the front end Costa if it works as advertised.

I also seem to remember Musky claiming that the armor glass is actually bullet proof too, but he glossed over it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, exactly.

Also having insurance coverage for the glass replacement is just a money shuffle.
We all pay higher rates.

Just like with semi, RoboTaxis would have significant cost benefits by having Armor glass.
RoboTaxi out of service for glass replacement is a RoboTaxi not making money.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
No, Elon never said the glass would be bullet resistant/proof.

-Crissa
I completely agree, Elon never said the glass was bulletproof. But I understand why some people may have inferred it is based on:
  • Immediately after talking about the essentially bullet proof steel he started talking about the armored glass.
  • He said the Cybertruck was essentially bullet proof. (the armored glass is a part of the Cybertruck)

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
-------------------

Hail creates storm of damaged cars [ McAllen/Edinburg, Texas ]
$200 million in damages to the McAllen area

Tennis and baseball sized hail in the McAllen/Mission area.
1,000 homes were affected.
2012 March 29

https://www.weather.gov/bro/2012event_midvalleyhailprelim

Twice in Three Weeks! Hailstorms hit McAllen/Mission/Edinburg/Pharr area.
Hail creates storm of damaged cars. Hail the size of a baseballs !
2012 Apr 20

https://www.weather.gov/media/bro/wxevents/2012/pdf/april20th_2012_storms.pdf

-------------------

Hail alley is most common area of USA to have hail storms
This region, known as hail alley, lies predominantly within the states
of Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska and Wyoming. While
their domain of greatest frequency is in the plains states, hailstorms
have been observed just about everywhere thunderstorms occur.

-------------------

What was the worst hail storm in modern history?
On April 14th, 1986 grapefruit sized hail hit Gopalganj, Bangladesh.
Weighing up to two pounds ( 0.91 kg) a piece, the massive hailstones
killed 92 people. The Guinness Book of World Records has hail from
this storm on record as the world's heaviest at 2.2lbs ( 1 kg). 26 Sep. 2010

The last known hail fatality in the US happened in 2000 in Fort Worth,

Texas when 19 year old Juan Oseguera was hit in the head with softball
sized hail. Hail of this size falls at around 100 mph, and weighs as
much as a pound ( 0.45 kg), the force is the equivalent someone
throwing a masonry brick at your head, which is more than enough force
to kill you.

But hail does not need to be huge to kill, it only has to be big enough.
In 1979, in Fort Collins, Colorado, an infant was struck in the head
and killed by a piece of golf ball sized hail while the mother was
carrying the baby.

Hail No: An account of the worlds biggest, deadliest hailstorms
by Dylan Thuras September 26, 2010
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/hail-no-an-account-of-the-worlds-biggest-deadliest-hailstorms

-------------------

In USA, how common is hail damage?
There were 5,382 major hail storms in 2019, according to statistics
culled from NOAA's Severe Storms database. In 2018, 4.610 major
hailstorms occurred.

-------------------

In USA, between 2016 and 2018 there were 898,500 personal auto
insurance claims due to hail damage. These events often 'write off'
vehicles and costs billions each year to consumers/insurance.

Top 5 States for Hail Claims
Texas Continues to Take the Top Spot for Hail Claims
DES PLAINES, Ill., Aug. 6, 2019
https://www.nicb.org/news/news-releases/top-5-states-hail-claims

-------------------

Insurance Losses from Hail Damage on the Rise
October 11, 2019
https://www.fenderbender.com/articles/13777-insurance-losses-from-hail-damage-on-the-rise

Susanna Gotsch, industry analyst and director of the CCC, reported
about the growing danger of hailstorms for the automotive industry.
Three of the $4 billion events for the insurance industry in the first
half of 2019 occurred in the U.S. and were all weather-related. The
events included powerful thunderstorms, tornadoes, large hail, high
winds and flooding.

Both hail and tornado activity have increased across the country,
according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
(NOAA). Hail damage is particularly common in Colorado, Missouri,
Nebraska, Texas, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota and Oklahoma, while
tornado activity has increased in Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee,
Louisiana, Alabama, Kentucky, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin,
Iowa and parts of Ohio and Michigan.

The CCC found that, nationally among overall annual appraisal counts,
there has been an uptick in the percent with primary point of impact
of “hail”. In states with lower populations, as well as fewer
registered vehicles and automotive claim counts, a single event can
result in a significant jump in overall counts.

The average cost of vehicle repairs for hail losses is 33 percent to
more than 100 percent higher than other repairs, the CCC reported. It
also takes a significantly longer period of time from the date of the
loss to the date the customer reports the loss, and a longer time to
repair the vehicle.

With a higher repair percent of total labor amount and a higher share
of overall repair cost, repair times may be longer due to more labor
hours per claim, as well as delays due to scheduling in third party
paint-less dent repair. States with a higher propensity to see hail
losses also see repair volumes spike from a single large event, and
the spikes in volume often result in a significant swing in certain
key performance metrics.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
-------------------

*** and lightning makes an appearance ***

Chunk of highway goes flying through truck's windshield and shatters rear window lightning strikes road.
A lightning strike sent a chunk of highway through the windshield of a truck in Florida.
By Alisha Ebrahimji, CNN
Posted on May 10, 2021
https://www.cbs46.com/chunk-of-high...cle_ea6f71e9-48b4-5fb1-9cbe-1f64efce9246.html

-------------------

Phoenix realtor survives after 2-pound piece of metal debris shoots up from road through windshield
By Jason Barry
Posted Jan 6, 2021
https://www.azfamily.com/news/phoen...cle_4fce044a-5079-11eb-a09c-ff251c14cc3e.html

-------------------

Drivers and front passengers have been kicked to death by deer after hitting a deer and the whole deer coming through the windshield or even just the deer's legs.

----------

'This buck came flying': deer crashes through SUV windshield, sunroof
“All I felt was the deer's hooves kick me in the chest and then the leg and then it was gone,” passenger Kevin Gillespie said. “It was just a blur.”.
by Hannah Cumler
October 22nd 2020
https://upnorthlive.com/newsletter-...g-deer-crashes-through-suv-windshield-sunroof

-----------

Passenger killed when deer goes through dump truck windshield
Man, who was the middle passenger in the truck, was killed Tuesday morning when a deer that had been hit by a car going in the opposite direction, went flying through the truck's windshield.
By ERIKA BUTLER and [email protected]
Nov 08, 2012
https://www.baltimoresun.com/ph-ag-deer-fatal-1109-20121108-story.html

-----------------

Deer slams through windshield hitting South Carolina woman in the passenger seat
they were passing a semi going the other way when the semi kicked up a deer, throwing it right into the Brown's windshield as they passed.
"Once I was passing the semi-truck, the deer was coming at us," Chip said.
Their car is now totaled. Jeanie was left bloodied with wounds all over her body.
The deer landed right on her.
SPRINGFIELD, South Carolina
Author: Hunter Sáenz (WCNC)
Published: November 11, 2019
https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/r...nger/275-60a14eac-8c3b-4765-b0de-c0c270132415

----------

Deer struck by car thrown through another car's windshield, killing passenger
ELDERSBURG, Md.
WBAL Updated: Sep 24, 2020
A passenger of a car was struck and killed by a deer that was propelled through the windshield after it was struck by another car in Carroll County early Thursday morning, Maryland State Police said.
https://www.wbaltv.com/article/jaso...ck-by-car-thrown-through-windshield/34144897#

----------

Police say a deer struck by the first vehicle went airborne and through the windshield of the 2nd vehicle (an SUV), killing the 2nd driver.
CONNOQUENESSING, Pa.
Author: Associated Press
Published: July 29, 2019
https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/l...hield/95-d33c3caf-82d3-4c0e-b87c-17d9910d0447

----------

Eastern Iowa Man Killed When Deer Goes Through Windshield
The westbound car struck a deer that had come out of the north ditch and onto the roadway. After making contact with the westbound Camry, the deer went into the air and hit the windshield of an eastbound Nissan, entering the vehicle.
By Bob James
Published: February 20, 2020
https://khak.com/eastern-iowa-man-killed-when-deer-goes-through-windshield/

-----------

Deer Jumps in The Passenger Seat of Speeding Car, Smashing The Windshield
25 October 2018
By Elena Gorgan
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...eding-car-smashing-the-windshield-129643.html

-----------------------------------------------

Last edited:

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Armor glass was tested. Armor Glass failed the balls of steel test. How did Armor Glass legend grow to hunkd of concrete hurled by
If the objective was to keep the hard-thrown steel balls from penetrating the glass, it was not a fail.

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Armor glass was tested. Armor Glass failed the balls of steel test. How did Armor Glass legend grow to hunkd of concrete hurled by
If the objective was to keep the hard-thrown steel balls from penetrating the glass, it was not a fail.
100% agree with Alan.

For small stones falling off a gravel truck I want no cracks.

For larger rocks, bricks, concrete, metal debris, etc, I do not care if it cracks.
For these I hope for no penetration of the glass and that I can see enough to control the car and not get seriously injured.

Ranulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
The sledgehammer test and previous tests with the ball bearing created microfractures and possibly small chips in the glass. They were hitting it/throwing stuff at it quite a bit before the stage demo.

Armor glass is not indestructible, nothing is. It only makes sense that it would fail after all the abuse it took.

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I hope the armor glass is more resistant to abrasion and cracks, but even if it isn't I'll be satisfied knowing I have a more robust window to deflect hard objects. Two stories to drive the point home:

First story - Several years ago near my home town, a piece of a truck's brake broke off on the highway, bounced across the median and struck the windshield of an oncoming car. The steel easily penetrated the windshield and the driver (a young mother) was killed. Imagine that, one second you're driving down the highway minding your own business and the next second you are dead!

Second story - I was at a glass shop getting the windshield of my old 91' Honda Accord replaced when a very upset man walked in and began shouting at the man behind the counter. It turns out the angry man was a customer who had his windshield replaced earlier that same day. While driving down the highway a truck kicked up a large rock which penetrated his brand new windshield and struck the passenger seat. Thankfully he was alone in the vehicle at the time. They gave him another new whindshield for free.

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I hope the armor glass is more resistant to abrasion and cracks, but even if it isn't I'll be satisfied knowing I have a more robust window to deflect hard objects. Two stories to drive the point home:

First story - Several years ago near my home town, a piece of a truck's brake broke off on the highway, bounced across the median and struck the windshield of an oncoming car. The steel easily penetrated the windshield and the driver (a young mother) was killed. Imagine that, one second you're driving down the highway minding your own business and the next second you are dead!
I looked for crashes involving debris from trucks and was surprised by the high frequency. Kids throwing rocks/bricks get tons of attention while all the accidents & death from unmaintained trucks continue decade after decade. Even when warned that there would be inspections, 20% of trucks still had serious issues found that caused police to demand truck to be immediately taken out of service.

Some thoughts
1. Most of these incidents took place on divided highways where we assume we are much safer.
When trucks are on your side of a divided highway you might have option of not staying behind truck for long period of time or to pass them quickly. However you can not plan and avoid the trucks on the other side of the divide. The problem is the trucks are also traveling at a much higher speed. Debris pieces, runaway wheels, etc from these trucks are traveling at very high-speeds and directly at you while you are traveling at very high speeds. Even with wide medians or concrete dividers, a lot of very dangerous projectiles are getting through.

2. The extra strength of the Cybertruck exo-skelton body and the armor glass might have saved some of the lives.

3. Early Tesla FSD I am sure will not be able to do this but eventually some might be saved by FSD.
FSD might be able to see larger debris pieces, runaway wheels, etc and FSD might be able to take evasive action. FSD eventual will be able to see these things coming from the side much better than humans can and react faster hopefully allow a reduction of accidents & injuries.

--------------

Mother, 40, is killed in a 'freak accident' on Massachusetts freeway after tire from a pickup truck traveling in the opposite direction crashed through her windshield
By Leah Simpson For Dailymail.com
Published: 11 June 2020
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...chusetts-freeway-tire-crashed-windshield.html

Flying tire crushes truck on Anthony Henday Drive
CTV News ( Edmonton Canada)
Published Tuesday, October 27, 2020
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/flying-tire-crushes-truck-on-anthony-henday-drive-1.5163110

Teacher dies when semi loses 8-wheel dolly in southwest Edmonton
Meghan Weis, 36, who taught at Our Lady of the Prairies, killed in Lessard Road crash
CBC News ( Edmonton Canada)
Posted: Oct 28, 2020
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmo...8-wheel-dolly-in-southwest-edmonton-1.5780245

Calgary woman killed after flying rock size 30 cm by 13 cm from truck smashes through windshield on B.C. highway
Staff Sgt. Marko Shehovac, with Columbia Valley RCMP, said the incident took place on Hwy 93/95 near Canal Flats on Friday at 11:10 a.m., south of Fairmont Hot Springs.
The family — including the victim’s husband and two kids — was traveling northbound in a Subaru Legacy when a large piece of rock became dislodged from a southbound semi with an unloaded lowbed trailer, said Shehovac.
“Somehow a large boulder or rock was dislodged from the semi,” he said.
“It went into the air and came down and smashed through the window of the Subaru and it struck the 36-year-old female passenger and that blow killed her.
Author of the article: Renato Gandia
Publishing date: Oct 09, 2012 • October 10, 2012
https://edmontonsun.com/2012/10/09/...rock-smashes-through-windshield-on-bc-highway

RCMP narrowing search for vehicle that lost wheel, killing driver on Alberta highway
'Someone out there knows something'
Posted: Dec 12, 2017
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmo...l-killing-driver-on-alberta-highway-1.4444732

OPP charges driver after flying tractor-trailer wheel causes highway crash that killed 50-year-old father
'From facing mandatory conscription in the USSR, to moving to another country.... he didn't have an easy life.... but he had a smile that would light up the room'
Author of the article: Postmedia News
Publishing date: Feb 13, 2017
https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...ng-tractor-trailer-wheel-causes-highway-crash

HIGHWAY HORROR SHOW
• At 11:45 a.m. on Sept. 29 1995, Donald Obee was driving home for lunch, enjoying southern Ontario’s warm, early autumn sunshine, when a pair of dual wheels broke off a passing truck and obliterated the front half of his 12-yearold Chevette. “One minute I was doing 50 miles an hour,” Obee said later, “and the next minute I wasn’t moving.” Die 44-year-old unemployed machinist was taken to hospital in his home town of St. Catharines, treated for bruises and a sore neck and discharged the following day. Die truck, which had been travelling in the opposite direction on the divided, four-lane highway, did not stop and has not been located. Police say it was probably a tractor trailer and the driver was unaware that he had lost the wheels.
• At 9:30 p.m. last April 3 1995, James Tyrrell, 31, a Scotiabank credit manager, was driving along the eastbound Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) in Mississauga, Ont., on his way to a ball hockey game when two wheels flew off a westbound tractor trailer. Police found one of them a kilometre away. The other crashed onto the roof of Tyrrell’s Toyota, killing him, then bounded down the highway while motorists swerved frantically to avoid it. Police (testifying at the same inquest that investigated Worona’s death near Whitby) said rust prevented the truck’s.dual wheels from fitting together properly.
By RAE CORELLI
November 13 1995
https://archive.macleans.ca/article/1995/11/13/highway-horror-show

TRUCK FLIPS, DEBRIS KILLS WOMAN
A Broward county woman driving on Interstate 595 was killed inside her minivan on Wednesday after being crushed by mounds of hurricane-related debris flung from an out-of-control dump truck on a ramp above her.
Stephen lost control as his 18-wheeler turned through the curving exit ramp that hovers about 15 feet above I-595. The truck flipped on its right side and slid about 50 yards, said FHP Lt. Roger Reyes.
Bundles of plaster, sheetrock, roofing material and shrubbery crashed to the highway below.
The debris damaged five other vehicles and shut down eastbound traffic on I-595 for about three hours, but nobody else was hurt.
Ihosvani Rodriguez Staff Writer
SOUTH FLORIDA SUN-SENTINEL
Dec 15, 2005
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/fl-xpm-2005-12-15-0512141374-story.html

---------------------------------------------

HIGHWAY HORROR SHOW - On the nation’s freeways, defective trucks menace life and commerce
By RAE CORELLI
November 13 1995
https://archive.macleans.ca/article/1995/11/13/highway-horror-show

a frightening phenomenon: the apparent increase in the number of spectacular and often fatal accidents caused by poorly maintained trucks on congested, high-speed multi-laned freeways. No national agency keeps comprehensive statistics on truck-related accidents. But so far this year, in southern Ontario alone, several people have been killed and scores injured by flying wheels, rollovers and runaways. “This year has been the worst yet for accidents caused by mechanical factors in trucks,” says Ontario Provincial Police Senior Const. Cam Woolley, a truck-accident investigation specialist. The Canadian Automobile Association (CM) believes the hazard* is continent-wide and has urged Transport Canada to investigate areas such as vehicle design. ‘We feel pretty strongly that there are lives at stake here,” says CM President Brian Hunt.

Unsafe trucks not only threaten life and limb; they cause economic losses as well. Lawsuits arising from death or injury, the insurance claims of truck owners and shippers, and the losses experienced by businesses when highways are blocked (on a freeway, « three to five hours is not I uncommon) add up to tens of millions of dollars every year. Shippers miss flights and cargo is left £ sitting at airports. Some factories are forced to slow or suspend production because they have run out of parts. Employers have to pay overtime because relief shifts are stuck in traffic. Passengers miss their planes and many wind up stranded in airports. “If a truck accident blocks an expressway,” says Woolley, “it absolutely cripples the local economy.” In an attempt to get unfit trucks and ill-trained drivers off the road and to punish their operators, Canada, the United States and Mexico each year conduct a co-ordinated three-day highway blitz. During the 1995 campaign last June, police and government inspectors in the three countries examined more than 54,000 trucks. Even though the operation had been well publicized in advance, more than one-fifth of the vehicles showed up at inspection stations with bad brakes, insecure loads, loose wheel fasteners or dangerously bald tires or in general disrepair. They were grounded on the spot. In some cases, drivers were either unlicensed, unqualified or fatigued. “In the back of my mind, I’m thinking what if they didn’t know these inspections were going on?” says John Meed of the Saskatchewan highway transportation department compliance branch. “The results would probably have been worse.”

Although the three-nation average of trucks ordered out of service during this year’s crackdown was down slightly from last year’s, several participating provinces reported increases. British

Columbia’s rate rose to 26 from 23 per cent, Saskatchewan’s almost doubled to 23 from 12 per cent, Quebec went to 13 from nine per cent, and Ontario led with more than 43 per cent, roughly the same as last year but up sharply from 1993’s 33 per cent. “The fact that we have seen no change between 1994 and 1995 makes me think there has been no change in the industry’s commitment to safety—up or down,” says Rudi Wycliffe, director of the Ontario ministry of transportation’s compliance branch. Adds Hans Jons, the ministry’s Kitchener-based enforcement co-ordinator: “The industry is still not taking inspections seriously.” The CAA’s Hunt echoes that view. Last year, he says, there were 2,500 reports across North America of wheels coming off trucks. “That’s what was reported,” he says. “We think it’s much higher than that.”

Safety of commercial vehicles questioned after serious crashes in Edmonton
Half of commercial vehicles inspected by police taken out of service
Posted: Oct 30, 2020
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmo...d-after-serious-crashes-in-edmonton-1.5782531

Sponsored

Last edited: