Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Driving through Texas and started to wonder about those mega-populated areas that need HOV and toll roads. It got me thinking, do Tesla cars know when you have additional people in the vehicle and guide you on to the HOV lane? Will it take or avoid toll roads based on your preferences or needs? With 6 of us in the Avalon (why I want that Cybertruck seating 6) it started my mental wheels rolling.

AJ must have experience with this.
Sponsored

akcoyote

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model S; Dual motor CT w/FSD reservation
Occupation
retired
Country flag
To my knowledge, Tesla firmware does NOT check or care how many occupants are in the vehicle. It does however warn if a seat sensor is triggered and the corresponding seatbelt is not fastened.

Use or avoidance of toll roads and HOV lanes are preferences that can be set for the navigation system.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This is one of those 'right now, this is a manual setting'. Yes, it will use them if there are more seats occupied, but it's not an everywhere thing. It uses the HOV onramps properly in the Bay Area when it senses a passenger.

But in the Bay Area they're converting many of the HOV lanes to toll lanes and you need to use a manual widget to use the HOV part. So it wouldn't know if you had the widget set right.

-Crissa

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is one of those 'right now, this is a manual setting'. Yes, it will use them if there are more seats occupied, but it's not an everywhere thing. It uses the HOV onramps properly in the Bay Area when it senses a passenger.

But in the Bay Area they're converting many of the HOV lanes to toll lanes and you need to use a manual widget to use the HOV part. So it wouldn't know if you had the widget set right.

-Crissa
yea....down in the Irvine area, they are starting to reduce lanes and make them HOV......then they make them toll pay lanes......I can see where this is going: pay to use roads in addition to the gas tax and registration fees.......next will be the pay by the mile

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
yea....down in the Irvine area, they are starting to reduce lanes and make them HOV......then they make them toll pay lanes......I can see where this is going: pay to use roads in addition to the gas tax and registration fees.......next will be the pay by the mile
I hope not. I support HOV lanes, but I am not a fan of the toll lanes at all. Especially that you need a transponder to use them as HOV lanes. I did just buy a transponder so we can use it on the motorcycle.

Sure, if you're rich enough to rent a local car or have the time/money to get a transponder it's okay, but that really hurts those who aren't so lucky

-Crissa

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I hope not. I support HOV lanes, but I am not a fan of the toll lanes at all. Especially that you need a transponder to use them as HOV lanes. I did just buy a transponder so we can use it on the motorcycle.

Sure, if you're rich enough to rent a local car or have the time/money to get a transponder it's okay, but that really hurts those who aren't so lucky

-Crissa
I had a transponder on my motorcycle.......but I took it off......I am usually a very honest person, but I hate this HOV toll, so I go around the plate that triggers the camera and light......since I took the transponder off, I have not had any tickets nor have I been charged......I know it may not be the right thing to do, but I only drive less than 12k miles a year for both the MS and M3 and I pay registration fees for 14k miles each...... so I consider it breaking even .....