OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
The Gen 2 raptor and Ram TRX has 14 inches of travel, would be amazing if CT got close to that.
Poor Tesla.

Is the CT a "work truck"?

Is the CT a "tow truck"?

Is the CT a "baja truck"?

We can't have it all.

A truck with 14" of suspension travel isn't going to tow 14k or carry 3500lbs. Honestly, I don't know how the CT is going to tow with IRS. Up to this point all 2500 and up trucks have solid rear axles for a reason. Tesla is going to be doing some amazing things with the electronically variable shocks and air suspension.
Sponsored

Kaz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q8
Country flag
Poor Tesla.

Is the CT a "work truck"?

Is the CT a "tow truck"?

Is the CT a "baja truck"?

We can't have it all.

A truck with 14" of suspension travel isn't going to tow 14k or carry 3500lbs. Honestly, I don't know how the CT is going to tow with IRS. Up to this point all 2500 and up trucks have solid rear axles for a reason. Tesla is going to be doing some amazing things with the electronically variable shocks and air suspension.

Very true, I don't need to tow 14k so it's not a huge concern of mine but for other it probably is. Will be trading my raptor for this so I was hoping with its approach and departure angles being what they are the suspension travel would be good as well. No raptor good but enough to have a little fun. Oh well, I guess that's what the cyberquad is for right....

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
To your point; You're replacing a Raptor.

I'm replacing a BMW wagon. I have a Dodge 3500 dually. The CT cannot replace that. The CT can replace the BMW wagon because I use it like a pick up truck most of the time. I have a tow hitch on it to move my dirt bikes around.

People need to remember that the CT is a direct competitor the the Ford F150. With better performance all around.

Personally I would never buy a F150. It can't tow like a dually, and it gets lousy fuel mileage compared to the 40+mpg I get with the BMW diesel.

I guess the CT will be a lot of things to different people, but it cant be everything to everyone.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Remember that diesel has about 15% more energy density than gasoline, so you'd expect 15% better. Since it's denser, it can do even better than that for actual work. But it does spew more smog-causing gasses.

-Crissa

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Remember that diesel has about 15% more energy density than gasoline, so you'd expect 15% better. Since it's denser, it can do even better than that for actual work. But it does spew more smog-causing gasses.

-Crissa

Everything I own is diesel except for a Honda EU2200 gasser generator and my dirtbike.

I now have an electric dirt bike (Alta) and plan on ditching the diesel BMW for the CT. Still need the diesel generator for the house and RVs, but maybe before I die I'll have everything solar/battery. Tough living in NE, not much sunlight for solar.

I'd LOVE to make a BEV Prevost tour bus! Oh man, imagine how quiet and smooth that would be??? I'd have to buy a Tesla semi and tear it apart to make the Prevost, but I know it would work out great. Except for the charging. Oh well, we're just not quite ready for that......

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
People need to remember that the CT is a direct competitor the the Ford F150. With better performance all around.

Personally I would never buy a F150. It can't tow like a dually, and it gets lousy fuel mileage compared to the 40+mpg I get with the BMW diesel.

I guess the CT will be a lot of things to different people, but it cant be everything to everyone.
Yup, Cybertruck compete with F-150s (all high level spec) & lower power F-250s

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
To your point; You're replacing a Raptor.

I'm replacing a BMW wagon. I have a Dodge 3500 dually. The CT cannot replace that. The CT can replace the BMW wagon because I use it like a pick up truck most of the time. I have a tow hitch on it to move my dirt bikes around.

Ok. So this looks like the Ford Raptor being built out for Baja. I really wish Tesla could put out a video like this about how the CT was built out and made ready for Baja. But I’m guessing Tesla isn’t wanting to show the secret sauce of how they work internally.

Based on this video I’m guessing that the CT will kick Ford’s ass.

Kaz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q8
Country flag
Ok. So this looks like the Ford Raptor being built out for Baja. I really wish Tesla could put out a video like this about how the CT was built out and made ready for Baja. But I’m guessing Tesla isn’t wanting to show the secret sauce of how they work internally.

I’m hoping you are right but I have my doubts about the CT being as off road capable as a Raptor

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I’m hoping you are right but I have my doubts about the CT being as off road capable as a Raptor
I’m not knowledgeable enough to provide evidence but I agree with CTTGuy that the CT Baja effort is a passion project. I trust the bravado and pride of Elon to make the CT work well in this challenge.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag

Hmm. First time any manufacturer put out a pickup that was developed for baja? TRD ignore much? Not to take away from Raptor capabilities... I don't know that much about it but the baja truck isn't actually a stock Raptor but I do like how they keep saying that in the video while they build special components into the baja truck.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
The video speaks to FORD’s 2 yr Baja project. Team Raptor spoke to only having 5mos. Builder’s had 3 mos. to make the vehicle modifications AND engine mods.

FORD had to throw money at the schedule slippage to make race day. No shakedown time in the desert. So “hood-up” race day was par for the course. FORD SME unravelled a technical showstopper!

FORD packed the right parts and stocked the pits right. Overall an impressive showing. They went with what they had and would fix what they didn’t have. All their ground crew, sponsor support and team drivers kept the car right side up.

The video crew were able to capture enough moments to create a thru-line narrative to show the FORD Raptor SVT R is the highest performance Raptor. No argument FORD’s F-150 Raptor R stake is in the ground. It’s a one off. It’s special order. Its expensive. Its Baja tough. Its proven.

FORD went with a production vehicle, 2 bolt main production motor and OTS modifications to Baja race requirements. IDK if a Cybertruck platform can race thru whoops, its motors modifiable and its suspension capable of supporting Baja conditions.

FORD owns the bragging rights until…but I noticed that FORD didn‘t pull its Team race van out to the desert with a FORD F series either. .

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Hmm. First time any manufacturer put out a pickup that was developed for baja? TRD ignore much? Not to take away from Raptor capabilities... I don't know that much about it but the baja truck isn't actually a stock Raptor but I do like how they keep saying that in the video while they build special components into the baja truck.
Many moons ago I was driving back up the Baja peninsula from a week long windsurfing trip, and they happened to be running the Baja 1000. We pulled off the road in my small motorhome, and all the teams had taken over a field beside the dirt road where it met up with the paved hwy 1, as a pit stop.
We ended up parking right beside Team Dodge. Yes this is definitely not the first manufacturer. Anyway, we handed out a few Pacifico beers to the Dodge guys and they were awesome. We were listening to the Radio chatter and they told us how far out all the trucks were from our pits. Ironman Ivan Stewart had a big lead in the Team Toyota TRD vehicle. He came flying down the dirt road in a cloud of dust and slid to a stop directly in front of us. He was sitting there in the middle of a rear engine "truck" and after they dumped in can of racing fuel and kicked the tires, Ivan floored it and turned left onto the pavement. That section of highway was straight for a couple of miles, when that thing took off the front wheel came off the ground and it was going through all the gears and outta sight in no time. You could hear it wide open on the throttle for a minute. Afterwards I went over to the Dodge guys in amazement. They told me, "that's not a truck" there isn't one thing on that vehicle that's a stock Toyota part. Toyota had built a one off, tubular frame, mid engine with their race engine from Le mans racing team, single seater with the driver in the middle, RACE BUGGIE with a fiberglass representation of a Toyota truck body bolted to it.
The Dodge truck when it came in, it a least resembled a truck.
So you are correct. The thing I wanted to add is that they are NOT stock trucks!
Here's a video of that "TRUCK"

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Just ran across this Baja race video. I really like the perspective and being able to hear the conversation in the cockpit. Really shows how the driver and navigator work together to get through the race. I really have to wonder though about visibility on some of the hilltops with turns. Navigator says there is a turn but the camera shows the whole "road" obstructed by the hood. I have no idea how the driver manages to stay on track in these conditions.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, rally is great fun.

The point of the navigator is so the driver can be prepping for things not visible; angle line, gear and speed. Numbers indicate speed, if I recall, but every team is slightly different.

-Crissa

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Just ran across this Baja race video. I really like the perspective and being able to hear the conversation in the cockpit. Really shows how the driver and navigator work together to get through the race. I really have to wonder though about visibility on some of the hilltops with turns. Navigator says there is a turn but the camera shows the whole "road" obstructed by the hood. I have no idea how the driver manages to stay on track in these conditions.

So intense
Sponsored