Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
For all the people that are making a judgement call that they didn't drive the CT offroad because they were on DIRT roads.

Guess what, the OFFICIAL Baja 1000 race is on dirt roads. But, it's called an off-road race. It's a judgement call, but most people think of off-road as off paved/marked roads. I've done lots of traveling on the dirt roads of Baja, and even been there as a spectator (that's me in the pink shirt, in the photo). BTW, did you guys notice how slowly the other drivers were going on the video? Generally speaking you are driving fast/hard if you are averaging above 15mph on dirt roads in Baja. And, it wears you out! A few hours of driving dirt roads in Baja, and you're wore out! Those guys that race the Baja 1000 are animals!

I agree with cvalue13, I hope that Tesla doesn't try to sell this as anything to do with the actual Baja race. It was a good test of equipment at reasonable speeds (nothing like racing).

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck off-roading in Baja (live streamed by Tesla)! baja1000pit
Sponsored

Last edited:

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTORĀ®
Country flag
I wonder if they found using the touch screen as annoying as I do when I'm on two rut roads. Some buttons and dials are still useful.

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Guess what the OFFICIAL Baja 1000 race is on dirt roads by it's called an off-road race.
for a stock vehicle, doing this 1300mi is a test of human endurance as much as vehicle endurance

with a chase truck like a Tesla had, just about anyone could do this route in a stock Raptor and be ok but exhausted

with a chase truck like a Tesla had, and a stock F150 a person would feel beat to hell

all of these vehicles afterwards would need a good alignment, new filters, and other consumables

so, if the Raptor and CT suspensions allow one to do it with relative comfort - that alone is point enough.

If the CT can do it at a much lower price point than a Raptor, thatā€™ll emphasize the point

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
I note the first CT has two Starlink dishes mounted on a rack, and the second CT just one Starlink mounted directly to the rear roof without a rail or rack.

If the second one would be mounted a bit further back, it would be the most aero version.
Thatā€™s because the dude in the passenger seat is a frigginā€™ WIFI HOG and wonā€™t share. So the driver had to get his own!

Seriously, I imagine one of those is hardwired into the CT to allow ā€œhome baseā€ (IYKYK) to get realtime access to the computer and maybe make some changes on the fly. At a minimum, realtime monitoring.

SlegMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Occupation
Physical therapy
Country flag
You like the noise of rattles over a small block V8?!?!? Donā€™t bother going to the Baja 1000 šŸ¤£
Ya man, Iā€™m over loud trucks. Been there done that.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Ya man, Iā€™m over loud trucks. Been there done that.
I'm over any loud vehicle. I'd like to hear what's around me. It will take a while for the other cars to shut up, but at least with a quiet cabin I can partially ignore them.

Bill837

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Z4, 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2008 R1200RT
Occupation
Aviation Weapons/Systems
Country flag
As Setok mentioned, they also didn't really go offroad in the video. It was more like "off-sealed-roads" on that video clip.

I do wonder how often they used the generators on the trailers though.
I mean let's be fair. We saw what 3 mi out of a thousand?

Iā€™m withholding judgement until someone does some heads up testing against the competition like the gladiator Mojave, ZR2s and the raptors. What I can say is based on the chase vehicles being a trd tacoma and a power wagon towing a trailer they arenā€™t running at baja speeds for very long.

As far as the rattling any vehicle is gonna do some of that off road
Especially when you see that picture of inside the rear door and all the stuff that was in there.

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
For all the people that are making a judgement call that they didn't drive the CT offroad because they were on DIRT roads.

Guess what the OFFICIAL Baja 1000 race is on dirt roads by it's called an off-road race. It's a judgement call, but most people think of off-road as off paved/marked roads. I've done lots of traveling on the dirt roads of Baja and even been there as a spectator. BTW, did you guys notice how slowly the other drivers were going on the video? Generally speaking you are driving fast/hard if you are averaging above 15mph on dirt roads in Baja.

I agree with cvalue13, I hope that Tesla doesn't try to sell this as anything to do with the actual Baja race.

baja1000pit.jpg
Iā€™m not dismissing their trip, and who knows what other conditions they faced. But when a video is hyping up offroad driving, and whatā€™s shown is a gravel road not unlike the one I drive every day in any regular car, itā€™s not really convincing me of the CTā€™s offroad creds. Compare to what Rivian have done with their truck, driving through jungles and on rocky trails.

I hope we get to see them doing some more challenging conditions. But good they are at least putting good test time on the suspension and systems.

Just think of these folks travelling to Singapore in places where there literally werenā€™t any roads. Truly inspiring.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck off-roading in Baja (live streamed by Tesla)! 1696885982722

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yes, they had a chase car with trailer, I presumed it wasn't the toughest sections.

First go, probably good enough for a test run.

Sort of reminds me of the first car owners club, who put barrels of oil along the route.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
That can be fixed šŸ˜
But not easily, or cheaply. There's a reason there are no SuperChargers on the peninsula. Baja has the most antiquated and dirty electricity generation in Mexico. They have zero natural gas fueled power plants, zero hydro power plants, zero nuclear... Their electrical grid is fueled by diesel and sulphur dense heavy oil. šŸ¤¢

Thankfully the peninsula is ripe for wind and solar generation. Its isolation from the rest of the Mexican National Grid makes local, non-grid tied, generation ideal. Battery storage and pumped hydro would be needed. Clear skies and ocean winds can make localities the masters of their own domain, but inefficient government means the likely solution will be private companies. A huge opportunity for Tesla.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
But not easily, or cheaply. There's a reason there are no SuperChargers on the peninsula. Baja has the most antiquated and dirty electricity generation in Mexico. They have zero natural gas fueled power plants, zero hydro power plants, zero nuclear... Their electrical grid is fueled by diesel and sulphur dense heavy oil. šŸ¤¢

Thankfully the peninsula is ripe for wind and solar generation. Its isolation from the rest of the Mexican National Grid makes local, non-grid tied, generation ideal. Battery storage and pumped hydro would be needed. Clear skies and ocean winds can make localities the masters of their own domain, but inefficient government means the likely solution will be private companies. A huge opportunity for Tesla.
Around 1977 I went to a little town in Baja to set up a factory for making foam airplanes from the scraps at Morey Boogie. The town was an Ejido ran by the lady who's motel we stayed in. The whole towns' electricity was from a generator she had. At 9pm every night she'd turn off the generator and it was lights out! This was about 230 miles south of the border. I'm sure times have changed. But yeah, I would have to agree with that assessment of the grid in Baja.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I mean let's be fair. We saw what 3 mi out of a thousand?
Well in Australia, the places we saw the CT travel on, are just called roads.

Many of the roads outaside of the urban areas are just red gravel roads, given that most of the country has some local iron ore (which we export the most of, over half of it comes from Australia). If not directly underneath the topsoil, then nearby, making our roads just rusty old pebbles of iron, that we happen to use because it's there. To a large extent this is how they will stay, because there is a) not enough traffic on them to warrant sealing them and b) not an overabundance of bitumen and asphalt like in the USA, from the excessive and decades of use of fossil fuels, from which these products are directly derived.

As a part of the EV revolution, I'm still looking for someone who is seriously considering the impacts of reduced fossil use, and what implications that will have on road construction an infrastructure. So maybe in the future we will all need a CT to drive "off-road" and Australia will end up having the best (gravel) roads in the world!
Sponsored