Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Don't know about "much" longer but longer, yes, and in fact Apple made mention of this in a note that was included with my last cell phone purchase. They claim that this version has new software which learns the user's use pattern and limits charging to less than 90% to the extent possible. Must say, however, that I have not noted any visible indication of this but then I don't study my cellphone battery the way I study my Tesla's.
I have seen a message that a full charge has been delayed, until later, most likely what the phone deems is closer to my average time that I get up in the morning.
Sponsored

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Just like anything else, how long the battery lasts will depend on how hard you work it.
Go full charge to near empty every time, while constantly using the legendary Tesla acceleration, then supercharge... your battery will have far fewer cycles and total miles than the owner who is light on the pedal and goes 60% to 40%, then charges at 120 volts.

Leave the battery in it's comfort zone.
A few years ago I saw a study in done in Germany. They charged and discharged cells in different profiles and every few thousand cycles took one off the profile and tested it for total capacity. The one that went from 60% to 40% before recharge had ZERO loss of capacity at 30,000 cycles, and only 2% loss at 40,000 cycles. Last I heard that was the only profile they were still testing.

It also must be said that (in an ideal world) lithium batteries are like old soldiers, they don't die, they just fade away. How much loss of range are you willing to accept?
Also, there are hundreds of different chemistries used, different chemistries will have different loss of capacity over time. Tesla appears to be trading some capacity for longer cell life.

The easiest way to kill any lithium battery is to overcharge it, or over-discharge it. Both of these should be impossible with the vehicle correctly controlling charge profile.

I will now refer you to the #1 most popular page at batteryuniversity.com
How to Prolong Life of Lithium-based Batteries