Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
CATL Na battery news

In a nod to software defined functionality, CATL abstracts Sodium battery chemistry attributes then hints a potential mixed pack scheme is one possibility. R&D is missing to integrate chemistries within one pack. Efficiency, scale and cost remain to determine incentive even exists to chase the horizon that CATL has alluded. Is CATL Na horizon a mirage or a probability?

CATL may be tipping its hand Na is not a Lion all-around workhorse competitor. Might be that Na synergies integrated could stir a fireworks of chemistry innovations which CATL is really after to fill its dating card?

Tesla is only the most eligible bachelor in battery.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Tesla is unlikely to chase composite battery solutions. I doubt they will jump battery types in the next five to ten years, instead lowering the number of formulas and battery cells they use.

Sodium batteries do have a chance in boats and other no-fast-recharge situations, though.

-Crissa

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
Tesla is unlikely to chase composite battery solutions. I doubt they will jump battery types in the next five to ten years, instead lowering the number of formulas and battery cells they use.

Sodium batteries do have a chance in boats and other no-fast-recharge situations, though.

-Crissa
Do you know of a good site where I could study these battery chemistries and the principles of how they work? I’m interested in learning about it but some google searches got me nothing but pages of very deep technical information that is a little too far over my head for me to understand right away. I need baby steps.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Do you know of a good site where I could study these battery chemistries and the principles of how they work?
No, but The Limiting Factor did a great deep dive on the branches of lithium-ion that were possibilities that Tesla would take.

His animations are spot on for how they work, though.

-Crissa

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
No, but The Limiting Factor did a great deep dive on the branches of lithium-ion that were possibilities that Tesla would take.

His animations are spot on for how they work, though.

-Crissa
Thank you, I appreciate it.
Sponsored