Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 4
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The reason the glass broke is probably due to the stress factors of the demo glass all pressed evenly and even tightened each time the ball was dropped. On the actual window there was no where for the stress to dissipate. No big deal except for the embarrassment for the man. After all he had just lost his Mars rocket earlier in the day......
Sponsored

rustycarburetor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma/Boxster/3 Harleys/BMW
When you talk about changing the world, and your opener is some dollar-store ass version looking Russel Brand in a labcoat dropping a bearing on a piece of glass to show how edgy you are,,,, before Carbonaro effect Fred Durst hits your window with a wiffle ball bat and it turns to dust... YOU HAD ONE JOB

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The reason the glass broke is probably due to the stress factors of the demo glass all pressed evenly and even tightened each time the ball was dropped. On the actual window there was no where for the stress to dissipate. No big deal except for the embarrassment for the man. After all he had just lost his Mars rocket earlier in the day......
I think there could be 3 reasons for the glass atm 1) they put the wrong glass in last minute 2) the hammering of the door panel fractured the glass before the ball was thrown 3) it was a publicuty stunt, have a look how every news station is covering it. Maybe not for the truck, but for his other models that are on sale now. By the time this comes out in 2 years noone will talk about a couple of broken windows.

Technically having "metal windows" will add significant strength and rigidity to the vehicle, beyond that of what the Model 3 roof window does. The angle of the front and rear windows are also ideal for deflecting munitions. I'd imagine the windows are also a SpaceX derivitive.

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model 3, 2018 Jeep Rubicon, 2013 GMC 2500
Country flag
I just looked at the thread with all the test rides. They sure fixed those windows pretty quick. You might be right about the publicity stunt. EM didn't seamed very shocked when it happened either... I guess it's possible they have more than one built but, EM said this will be the one for test rides...

TeslaTorque

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey
Country flag
This is as from another website but painful to watch. Why wasn’t this tested.

Tango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Monster Truck, Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel, Polaris Slingshot, Energica Motorcycle
Country flag
It was said they threw the balls at the windows 50-60 times that day without them breaking. Perhaps they were stressed too much from previous absuse.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
It was said they threw the balls at the windows 50-60 times that day without them breaking. Perhaps they were stressed too much from previous absuse.
Do you know the source of that information? If it was so I wonder what changed, looking at the video it does seem to break differently than standard glass. Normally the side windows are made of temperature treated glass that shatters into little peices on impact. This is intentional to allow emergency egress. Front windows use a laminate for strength, this seems to be different, but still very brittle for a metal.

I wonder if they tested it in that order with the hammer impacts first, as this might have fractured it. The window does move from the impact. It doesn't look like the windows were open.

Deckard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Spinner
Occupation
Special bounty hunter
Country flag
What are the odds they would have not one, but two spare "prototype" drive side windows, one front and one back, laying around *and* be replaced that quickly for the test drives. The free press this has generated is priceless. Yea, it's negative press, but like others have said, it will hardly matter in the long run. Remember, these won't be built for another 2 to 3 years. Tesla can easily spin this over that time.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Huh...might of been the hammering then.

The thing is just having bulletproof doors is fairly ridiculous in itself. Armored conversions typically cost 2-3 times that of the donor vehicle, so adding that into a vehicle in itself, at that pricing point, is fairly crazy. Comparable APC vehicles (which admittedly would offer better protection) would cost a decimal place more. There are only a very few car manufactures that offer armor in house and many fail to realise just how out of the ordinary that actually is. I do think the vehicle will have that steel feature on it's release, however I think the bullet proof glass will be an extra as those costs won't be able to be manufactured into the "exoskeleton" steel design of the vehicle at a low cost.

Along with the performance and range of these vehicles it's highly likely to be utilized by law enforcement especially so if it offers protection. That, along with the building trades, is yet an untapped very large market for Tesla.

Deckard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Spinner
Occupation
Special bounty hunter
Country flag
Here's a video posted by Musk today showing earlier practice where the window withstood the steel ball throw test.
All that proves is that at some point they had the steel glass installed in the driver side doors. It still would not surprise me if they were replaced after that but prior to the reveal with some type of window that would break but not shatter upon impact. Maybe not. It really doesn't matter. Bottom line, actually 2 lines, it's still creating free press and I would prefer the breakable window anyway as I don't think I want to be in a vehicle where none of the windows are breakable in case of an emergency extraction is needed. Moving on ...

OP
OP

Karen Palmer

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 4
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What are the odds they would have not one, but two spare "prototype" drive side windows, one front and one back, laying around *and* be replaced that quickly for the test drives. The free press this has generated is priceless. Yea, it's negative press, but like others have said, it will hardly matter in the long run. Remember, these won't be built for another 2 to 3 years. Tesla can easily spin this over that time.
I just saw below....42,000 people are tweeting about this. You are correct. This hit every news media in the World. Pub Stunt for sure. It was heartbreaking to me to see it but placed order anyway, as I don't expect to drive through hostile crowds. If you think of all the Car unveilings by GM, Ford, Etc. The cars are surrounded by half naked women, and it's only about the beauty of the lines of the car. This show was so making you a part of the team, that when you saw America's hope get itself hurt, you immediately were thrown into a defensive mode as if you were seeing a pet being abused. Then in your mind you wanted to help it and fix it. If you felt nothing but "what a crummy unrehearsed show" you never were a potential supporter of Tesla and what it stands for in the Environmental world and a taste of the future to com.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
I think there could be 3 reasons for the glass atm 1) they put the wrong glass in last minute 2) the hammering of the door panel fractured the glass before the ball was thrown 3) it was a publicuty stunt, have a look how every news station is covering it. Maybe not for the truck, but for his other models that are on sale now. By the time this comes out in 2 years noone will talk about a couple of broken windows.

Technically having "metal windows" will add significant strength and rigidity to the vehicle, beyond that of what the Model 3 roof window does. The angle of the front and rear windows are also ideal for deflecting munitions. I'd imagine the windows are also a SpaceX derivitive.

Hmm a 9mm round is lead encased with copper. The steel ball thrown had alot more mass then the 9mm round. Just my thoughts..

But impact didn't break. Attached image is from a Tesla that had aftermarket bullet proof glass installed. 9mm was use.
Tesla Cybertruck Broken window bullet proof tesla shot with 9 mm