Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
So if you move to California do you have to sell your gas powered car? How can a State make something illegal when is legal everywhere else?
The ban is on sales and registration of new cars.

Are you buying a new car to register in California?

Lots of states have different laws about what kind of alcohol you can buy or possess. Here in California I can have and mail any kind except higher than 151 proof. Most states ban paying someone else to carry your alcohol somewhere. I can even buy and transport marijuana, tho most states and the feds ban carrying it. California already bans many types of small engines, they all have to meet emissions regs (tho it's loosely enforced).

Why couldn't they ban the sale of something?

-Crissa
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I always loved my 2 stroke road bike, but the last one you could buy new in California was my 1985 1/2 Yamaha. I sold it used 25 years ago, but they're still legal to own and ride. I could easily see this being the same kind of deal.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
As the demand for motor fuel drops the suppliers will divert their resources to the segments of the economy which still need petroleum products such as petrochemicals. The economies of scale in mogas will be lost. Eventually the production will slow to a trickle (like that of vacuum tubes today - a 12AX7 costs from $13 - 100). You will still be able to get it. It is used, for example, to determine the bitterness of beer. But the price will go up.
bitterness of beer? I have them in the preamp section of my guitar amp. But if, for some reason, folks decide that some other tech sounds better than tube amps then there will be no incentive for anyone to make these tubes.
When some pol declares that there will be a restriction on ICE etc. at some wildly far out time frame knowing that there is better technology now that will replace ICE and fossil fuel power plants then I would argue it is a cheesy form of forward looking leadership.
Government and too many corporations are really unsuited for driving necessary change. Tesla is actually good at it. So putting it to a vote or letting corporations decide is subpar. However, government and business interest can try to agree on what a better future could look like and different ways to get there.
Government really needs to fast track changes to regulations but never at the expense of humans or the environment (all part of a better future). Currently it is clear that there is a need for a spurt in innovation and opportunities to make the switch from unsustainable to sustainable. This probably requires a significant investment in education (retraining), material support, and enfranchisement of most of the people living on this planet.
I know this seems esoteric but it is just an application of the golden rule and recognizing that our environment matters.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
bitterness of beer? I have them in the preamp section of my guitar amp. But if, for some reason, folks decide that some other tech sounds better than tube amps then there will be no incentive for anyone to make these tubes.
Pay attention to number.
The economies of scale in mogas will be lost. Eventually the production will slow to a trickle (like that of vacuum tubes today - a 12AX7 costs from $13 - 100). You will still be able to get it. It is used, for example, to determine the bitterness of beer.
"It" refers to mogas which is singular. "Vacuum tubes" is plural. Thus "It is used... bitterness of beer" refers to mogas. Well not quite mogas which would have to be triple distilled for use in assaying beer. I am emphatically not distilling any gasoline in my house.
[/QUOTE]
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.