Hoppi

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri-motor
Country flag
For anybody that's interested in trailers/campers with their own battery and motors to aid with towing, my previous post shows a few that prototypes that I've come across. I recently found a few interesting DIY videos from a guy named James Klafehn on Youtube. At first he makes a range extending trailer (dubbed the T-Rex V1) from a Toyota RAV4 EV pack. Later he makes a range extending camper (dubbed the T-Rex Camper) out of a Tesla Model S 85D pack. I'm still in the process of watching everything, but it looks like he just hooks the additional battery pack high voltage lines into the ones for the vehicle battery pack (no electric motors on the trailer needed).

Here are the two playlists.
T-Rex V1
T-Rex Camper

Here's a video on a range test that he does with T-Rex Camper and his Tesla Model X
Yes! These are awesome. Exactly what I was wanting to see as for what impact a battery in the trailer could have. It will be interesting to see if there are any other examples like this. Or if Tesla ever decides to support this use case. I'd think some of the data on the Teslafi.com site would make them curious as to how people were getting extended range beyond what even Tesla said was to be expected.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Hoppi

Hoppi

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri-motor
Country flag
Saw this in another thread:
https://www.livingvehicle.com/
Doesn't have all the features that were talked about here but quite a few of them and in a nice clean package. The price puts this in the luxury category so I don't imagine there will be a ton of them out and about. But I would certainly enjoy having one if that were ever possible.