Concerned about safety when driving your Cybertruck?

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
Yes, I have a slight fear that people will want to be funny and recreate the launch day theatrics of hitting the door or throwing things at the windows. Who knows, maybe someone will even try to test the bulletproof claim.
We all have that fear deep down inside of idiots filming themselves throwing rocks at the windows or even worse firing a gun to test if it really is bullet proof.

Will these instances happen? Yes they will. but hopefully these morons have seen enough Sentry Cam videos to know that they are being recorded and deter most from going through with it.

On the flip side, a friend of mine was at a gas station a saw a drunk guy picking a fight with with a random woman so my friend tried to break it up. A minute later the drunk fired off 3 shots at my friends car as he drove away hitting his car twice. So yeah, bullet proof will be worth it.
Sponsored

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't condone the actions and in most cases I don't believe normal adults just do random acts because of the make of an automobile
What about the abnormal adults? Lots of those out there in the driving world! ?

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
After seeing many videos showing a lot of animosity toward Tesla vehicles, I am a bit concerned about my safety and the safety of my Cybertruck. Tesla sedans/SUVs are not as easily recognizable as the Cybertruck, yet they draw a degree of negative attention. Anyone else share my concerns? I know it will have sentry mode, but that will not protect the truck from idiots. Will you feel safe leaving it in a parking lot at night for an extended period of time? Could vandalism lead to higher insurance rates?
We've had two Tesla's for three years and are not worried one bit.

And I disagree that Tesla sedans are not easily recognized. Anyone who dislikes Teslas enough to want to harm one, knows exactly what they look like. While vandalism "because it's a Tesla" is quite rare, the Cybertruck will be the most vandal resistant of the bunch.

In my experience, people are generally delighted to see a Tesla. This is probably not the case in California where they are quickly becoming "the peoples car".

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Best way to protect your CT is to either get a PPF (Paint-Protection Film) or PPS (Paint-Protection Spray) and do this like immediately after you take delivery of the vehicle.
I hope you're joking, the exterior of the bare Cybertruck is many times tougher and more damage resistant than the best "self-healing" paint protection film. Putting a plastic film on a Cybertruck would be like wearing a condom to take a leak. Dumb.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Yes, that happened outside my bedroom window a couple times as a child. I have a healthy respect for weather!

-Crissa
It hit the tree 10 feet away from my room. Aside from a few electronics fried, what was interesting was that the time on a battery operated clock was changed.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
like wearing a condom to take a leak
The problem with sticking these images in people's heads is that regardless of how hard you try to suppress them, long after you think you have succeeded, they have a habit of popping back out in the middle of a funeral right when you are giving your condolences. I know this will get me ;)

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
I hope you're joking, the exterior of the bare Cybertruck is many times tougher and more damage resistant than the best "self-healing" paint protection film. Putting a plastic film on a Cybertruck would be like wearing a condom to take a leak. Dumb.
I plan on PPFing parts of mine as well. Rocks get kicked up on the road and soon that flat front bumper will be as rough as sand paper. Better to let the PPF take the damage than the stainless, which no doubt, will be a challenge to refinish after abrasions lit this.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I plan on PPFing parts of mine as well. Rocks get kicked up on the road and soon that flat front bumper will be as rough as sand paper. Better to let the PPF take the damage than the stainless, which no doubt, will be a challenge to refinish after abrasions lit this.
Are you aware that the stainless steel is cold-rolled? That makes it not only stronger against bending forces but also hardens the surface against impact. It's not like the stainless steel you may be familiar with on food-processing equipment and kitchen appliances. A Scotchbrite pad should be all you need to keep it looking fantastic. I guess if you decided you were going with a mirror finish (which would be a lot of work, even with a power buffer) it might make sense. But check your local laws to make sure a mirror finish wouldn't run afoul of any of them.

PPF is expensive and doesn't offer any benefit. It will make the stainless steel look "plasticized" and I can't imagine anyone would prefer a plasticized look over the raw metal. But preferences are personal and you gotta get the "look" YOU want. But it's not neccessary from a protection standpoint unless you want it to look like a mirror. Personally, I think a mirror finish will look bad, and I mean like really bad, because it's going to accent all the minor panel misalignments like you wouldn't believe. The way light reflects off the surfaces will make the smallest panel misalignment stand out and look like a cheap disco mirror ball. There is no practical way to make all the panels align perfectly so a matte or satin finish is your best friend. And if the finish is matte or satin, there is no need to protect it from road hazards.

You can thank me later for saving you a few thousand.

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I have the same concerns. People will want to test the claims. I live in a somewhat rural area where there are lots of traditional truck drivers that I imagine are going to be ignorant and anti Cybertruck.
I live in a very rural area and share that concern to a degree. In my experience, a lot of them are also motorheads and impressed by things like torque and acceleration and the CT will impress. I plan to take mine to some drive-in shows and help change minds about what electric can do.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I live in a very rural area and share that concern to a degree. In my experience, a lot of them are also motorheads and impressed by things like torque and acceleration and the CT will impress. I plan to take mine to some drive-in shows and help change minds about what electric can do.
So racing for pink slips... One way to get a bunch of ICE vehicles off the road.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Of course a lot of the hate is from the percieved high price of a Tesla (never mind that they are actually a much better value than any EV offered by the competition).

I think the fact that a $39K RWD Cybertruck will look exactly like a $49K AWD and a $69K AWD tri-motor will help alleviate the hate based on the "unobtanium" perception. Anyone who can afford a new ICE 1/2 ton pickup can also afford a Cybertruck pickup. When someone asks how much they cost you can tell them the RWD model is under $40K and comes with fully adjustable suspension, pull-out loading ramp, motorized toneau cover, on-board compressed air and 120V/240V electrical outlets.

Last edited:

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
Of course a lot of the hate is from the percieved high price of a Tesla (never mind that they are actually a much better value than any EV offered by the competition.

I think the fact that a $39K RWD Cybertruck will look exactly like a $49K AWD and a $69K AWD tri-motor will help alleviate the hate based on the "unobtanium" perception. Anyone who can afford a new ICE 1/2 ton pickup can also afford a Cybertruck pickup. When someone asks how much they cost you can tell them the RWD model is under $40K and comes with fully adjustable suspension, pull-out loading ramp, motorized toneau cover, on-board compressed air and 120V/240V electrical outlets.
Exactly. I ordered the mid-trim and even that is highly competitively priced with say, a Tundra. Then you get into the list of benefits and savings that just keep adding on.

It is still out of reach for a lot of folks around here who just need a fleet-style basic truck. But for everyone driving a limited (or equivalent) I'll know mine is probably cheaper up front, cheaper in the long run, and ALSO kicks their truck's ass in specs.

AND...I'll gladly inform them of those things in a polite way.

My uncle is a motorhead who loves his mopar-compatible kit and I am looking forward to rolling up to his abode with my CT and just taking him for a rollercoaster ride in it. Maybe even asking him to direct me to the nearest drag track that we might be able to use. Even the mid-trim 4.5s takeoff is nothing to sneeze at, even for far sportier cars.

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
So racing for pink slips... One way to get a bunch of ICE vehicles off the road.
I confess I had to look that up like the nerd that I am. But YES. lol!
Sponsored