OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
For me it's primarily the fact that it'll be stainless steel...... but....... I want the ENTIRE chassis to be SS. I fully understand the the exoskeleton will have the 3mm SS skin, but what about the floor pan, the door stampings, door jams, interior sections of the chassis, etc.? If those aren't stainless steel, then it's not much better than my Dodge Ram dually.

Second reason is the interior size. I want something bigger inside than my daily driver, but need a wagon or a pickup bed to keep my tools,. etc in.
Sponsored

Cybertrekker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Perf
Country flag
There is a possibility that only the doors will be that 30X series SS. Elon specifically singled out the doors on that Leno episode. The rest of the vehicle may still be SS just not the fancy kind lol. I would be worried the panels won't visually match, but may make repairs and insurance more palatable. For what it's worth, the Tesla website says the entire thing will be 30X SS.

OP
OP
5UBV3T

5UBV3T

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MY Dual Motor, CT Dual Motor preordered
Occupation
Test Engineer
Country flag
Out of curiosity, what about the CT pushed you all over the edge to go electric? It appears this might be the first EV for most of you. I'm encouraged to see it's not just Elon fanboys who are excited and you're able to separate his at times erratic behavior from the product.
I've been a fan of EVs since the Model 3 dropped. If I hadn't purchased my 4Runner in 2016, I would probably have a Model 3 right now. Teslas are so much more than transportation.

I initially was a bit bewildered by the design but it has grown on me quite a bit. I also feel like a $100 fully refundable preorder is a no-brainer for anyone even remotely interested. If the CT is truly as capable as or more than its current competition (F150, RAM etc.) and it can do all of the amazing things that current Teslas can do, I don't see how it won't be the best vehicle on the planet!

I do have a few concerns at the moment:

1. The exoskeleton seems like it will be significantly difficult to repair for more than the average dents and dings.
2. We don't really have any idea what the cabin amenities will entail. I have seen the center console (in the back of the front center seat) but no other place to store/charge my personal electronics. Will there be heated seats? I assume so, but who knows.
3. I'm really curious about windshield wipers and side mirrors (whether or not the production vehicle will have them) and how that will all work.
4. What type of underbody protection will it have?

I'm sure we'll all learn more about this as production approaches, but the wait is tough!

mercab18

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 RAM 1500
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
I'm up in Ellington, CT (about 20 mins from UCONN campus). I'm 200k in line so I'm crossing my fingers I'll have it in my garage in Q1 2022. We'll see!

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I'm up in Ellington, CT (about 20 mins from UCONN campus). I'm 200k in line so I'm crossing my fingers I'll have it in my garage in Q1 2022. We'll see!
I'm in Willington, or in Thompson, depending on the day. I'm around the same number, too!

OP
OP
5UBV3T

5UBV3T

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MY Dual Motor, CT Dual Motor preordered
Occupation
Test Engineer
Country flag
I'm in Willington, or in Thompson, depending on the day. I'm around the same number, too!
Have you guys seen the news that Elon expects to start preliminary production of the CT in May of next year?!?!?!?!?!

I'm 650K in line so I'll be way behind you guys, but the fact that we might know ALL of the details of the CT in 8 months or so is so exciting to me!

Oh and BTW I don't think I'll be in Norwich for long. We're putting the house on the market and will hopefully be somewhere between Madison and Old Saybrook by next spring. So there should be plenty of Super Chargers near me for charging when the CT does arrive (for me in 2028...)!!

EDIT: Put our house on the market Friday morning at 11am and were under contract Saturday morning at 9am for 15k over asking and they're covering their closing costs! What is up with this market!!!

Last edited:

LikeABoss

First Name
Ernest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I've been a fan of EVs since the Model 3 dropped. If I hadn't purchased my 4Runner in 2016, I would probably have a Model 3 right now. Teslas are so much more than transportation.

I initially was a bit bewildered by the design but it has grown on me quite a bit. I also feel like a $100 fully refundable preorder is a no-brainer for anyone even remotely interested. If the CT is truly as capable as or more than its current competition (F150, RAM etc.) and it can do all of the amazing things that current Teslas can do, I don't see how it won't be the best vehicle on the planet!

I do have a few concerns at the moment:

1. The exoskeleton seems like it will be significantly difficult to repair for more than the average dents and dings.
2. We don't really have any idea what the cabin amenities will entail. I have seen the center console (in the back of the front center seat) but no other place to store/charge my personal electronics. Will there be heated seats? I assume so, but who knows.
3. I'm really curious about windshield wipers and side mirrors (whether or not the production vehicle will have them) and how that will all work.
4. What type of underbody protection will it have?

I'm sure we'll all learn more about this as production approaches, but the wait is tough!
I can’t wait to see what the interior is really going to look like. I would expect that they are going to have a glove box, wireless charger for the cell phone (somewhere), hopefully heated and cooled seats and again hopefully ... a different steering wheel.

fantomas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazdas
Country flag
Middletown checking in. Estimated delivery is June 2023 which gives me time to save up lol. I picked up the Hot Wheels Cybertruck to hold me over in the mean time.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Middletown checking in. Estimated delivery is June 2023 which gives me time to save up lol. I picked up the Hot Wheels Cybertruck to hold me over in the mean time.
My local Target spent three day telling me "its in the system but not here yet" only to find out they were not a store getting it.

Yesterday I called 10 or more stores that showed inventory. All but Enfield CT was willing to check inventory over the phone. Even though inventory online showed it was in stock, they were out. One Target employee told me someone bought all 5 they had received.

I also tried to buy the Tequila! The website said it couldn't ship to CT. Or Mass. Both were on the list of states approved to ship to.

No toys to play with or booze to pass the time!! LOL

fantomas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazdas
Country flag
My local Target spent three day telling me "its in the system but not here yet" only to find out they were not a store getting it.

Yesterday I called 10 or more stores that showed inventory. All but Enfield CT was willing to check inventory over the phone. Even though inventory online showed it was in stock, they were out. One Target employee told me someone bought all 5 they had received.

I also tried to buy the Tequila! The website said it couldn't ship to CT. Or Mass. Both were on the list of states approved to ship to.

No toys to play with or booze to pass the time!! LOL
I went on Saturday to Newington but there were no employees in or near the toy section, customer service line stretched to the registers, and the register line stretched to health and beauty section because they only had self checkout open. I don't know what's going on with that store. Anywho, I ended up driving to Meriden, found an employee stocking toys, gave him the DPCI, said there were 4 in back and went and grabbed 2 for me. A number of people on Reddit said the toys were in the back so I knew I had to find an employee to help me, which I hate having to say "can you check the back of the store".

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I went on Saturday to Newington but there were no employees in or near the toy section, customer service line stretched to the registers, and the register line stretched to health and beauty section because they only had self checkout open. I don't know what's going on with that store. Anywho, I ended up driving to Meriden, found an employee stocking toys, gave him the DPCI, said there were 4 in back and went and grabbed 2 for me. A number of people on Reddit said the toys were in the back so I knew I had to find an employee to help me, which I hate having to say "can you check the back of the store".

I wasted Saturday and Sunday thinking my local Target knew what they were talking about. My bad. I'm sure I would have found one on Saturday if I had just gone to next closest store. Grrrrr.

Oh well, I was just going to keep it on the dash of my car, right where I keep the CT ornament. It's out of the way but reminds me to keep focused on paying for it. Would have nice to have a 3D version!