Cyberbeast in Theoretical Boat mode…. Aluminum or inflatable?

Diveflyfish

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 BMW 335d
Country flag
I am sure the Tesla team have contemplated something akin to this idea: aquatic platform landing craft with simple power transfer from rear dual motors to power measuring Dynamo type rollers…. Allowing for independent differential thrust. Since the steering is uncoupled all motors theoretically could be harnessed to drive props. Would this type of craft with landing craft bow be worth exploring? The Cyber Beast could be used as a power supply as well as motors that are essentially isolated from water immersion. All thoughts welcomed. Just dreaming a bit 🤔 Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all. Cheers!
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Merry Christmas to you too.

Boat mode is still on my CT Christmas wishlist as well.;)

My solution is actually much simpler and consists of fwo actively controlled hydrofoils to get up to plane, and propelled by water jet that uses the rear CT motor directly. Hydrofoils are much more efficient in water, so it would actually have useful range. Alternate buoyancy would be inflatabe tubes ether side should all else fail.

OP
OP
Diveflyfish

Diveflyfish

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 BMW 335d
Country flag
Merry Christmas to you too.

Boat mode is still on my CT Christmas wishlist as well.;)

My solution is actually much simpler and consists of fwo actively controlled hydrofoils to get up to plane, and propelled by water jet that uses the rear CT motor directly. Hydrofoils are much more efficient in water, so it would actually have useful range. Alternate buoyancy would be inflatabe tubes ether side should all else fail.
Cool idea. The coupling to the rear motor how? I agree inflatable tubes or platform akin to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang would work! Removable cover to battery pack underneath held by electromagnets…….. Baja mode to raise up to drive over it and let the suspension down and activate the magnetic coils via induction from inductive charger that is being designed etc….. pneumatic inflate supplied by compressor in bed used for tire change or high CFM low pressure to inflate bladders that are made from the same drop stitch pneumatic floors of inflatable boats or yoga mats/ inflatable docks that Goodyear pioneered long ago that was even made into an airplane! Ah to dream!! Cheers!

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Cool idea. The coupling to the rear motor how? I agree inflatable tubes or platform akin to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang would work! Removable cover to battery pack underneath held by electromagnets…….. Baja mode to raise up to drive over it and let the suspension down and activate the magnetic coils via induction from inductive charger that is being designed etc….. pneumatic inflate supplied by compressor in bed used for tire change or high CFM low pressure to inflate bladders that are made from the same drop stitch pneumatic floors of inflatable boats or yoga mats/ inflatable docks that Goodyear pioneered long ago that was even made into an airplane! Ah to dream!! Cheers!
There are a few versions. One is simply to mount a balanced turbine wheel on each of the rear driveshafts near the wheels, and mount the pump housing around it so that it articulates up and down with the suspension, and turns left and right with the rear steering. The design is such that you don't even need bearings, or any other mechanical parts, and you don't even need to turn them off for on road use to reduce range loss. This would work well for submerged wheels, so with the inflatable pontoons.

But for the hydrofoil mode it would need to be a bit different, in that only the foils should touch the water and not the wheels. So a ducted water jet setup would be needed, and would likely do something similar as above, but inboard of the suspension and near the motor(s) in the middle. Attachment to the motor could be as simple as mounting a plate inbetween the gearbox and the CV joint, with a cog to then drive a jet pump. With one each side, you could use the torque vectoring of the CB to create differential thrust, or even the brakes on the AWD for the same.

The other version is to use a 240V 9.5kW trolling motor off the back.

OP
OP
Diveflyfish

Diveflyfish

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 BMW 335d
Country flag
There are a few versions. One is simply to mount a balanced turbine wheel on each of the rear driveshafts near the wheels, and mount the pump housing around it so that it articulates up and down with the suspension, and turns left and right with the rear steering. The design is such that you don't even need bearings, or any other mechanical parts, and you don't even need to turn them off for on road use to reduce range loss. This would work well for submerged wheels, so with the inflatable pontoons.

But for the hydrofoil mode it would need to be a bit different, in that only the foils should touch the water and not the wheels. So a ducted water jet setup would be needed, and would likely do something similar as above, but inboard of the suspension and near the motor(s) in the middle. Attachment to the motor could be as simple as mounting a plate inbetween the gearbox and the CV joint, with a cog to then drive a jet pump. With one each side, you could use the torque vectoring of the CB to create differential thrust, or even the brakes on the AWD for the same.

The other version is to use a 240V 9.5kW trolling motor off the back.
I suppose stainless steel discs could be affixed and make a true “Tesla turbine”……. Normally functions as gas over the discs but I wonder if water were the “fluid” if that would work ? I think it would. The number of discs would be proportional to the output power I suppose…….huuummmm now you have me thinking outside the box…… nice!! Thanks!!

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I suppose stainless steel discs could be affixed and make a true “Tesla turbine”……. Normally functions as gas over the discs but I wonder if water were the “fluid” if that would work ? I think it would. The number of discs would be proportional to the output power I suppose…….huuummmm now you have me thinking outside the box…… nice!! Thanks!!
Tesla turbine uses fluid viscosity and surface adhesion and works with liquid or gas. It's unlikely you will be able to fit the right diameter discs, or get enough rpm without some serious gearing to make them work though. Much easier to design a smaller slower spinning turbine wheel that suits the driveshaft rpm.
Sponsored