Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
What exactly is the requirement relative to VIN? Every offroad vehicle already has a VIN.

According to the judge who handed down the fine, it's about safety.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
What exactly is the requirement relative to VIN? Every offroad vehicle already has a VIN.
No, not every off-road vehicle has a VIN.

And judges don't make laws. If it were a safety reason, there would be a fix-it involved. There wasn't, so it isn't.

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
No, not every off-road vehicle has a VIN.
How would you find one without a VIN? Even the cheap Chinese quads and bikes for kids have them. I've never seen one without, from at least the 90s or maybe 80s. I believe you're mistaken on this. Even my neighbor's $300 kid's 50cc had a title and VIN.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Would never be street legal in nyc. Cops trying to crack down on illegal dirt bike and atvs running amok on city streets doing wheelies and dangerous maneuvers. I would appreciate if they all upgraded to cyberquad though as it would get much quieter in my neighborhood... that is, aside from my two stroke vespa which is street legal)! :)

Deleted member 12457

You are mistaken.
Ok, I'll get into this conversation (again). Check out https://atvhelper.com/when-did-atvs-start-having-titles-what-you-need-to-know/ for questions on titling. There's one sentence in there near the end that talks about VIN numbers as if they're common.

"Since older ATVs made in the 1980s and 1990s might not have a title, it could be the case that the vehicle is old enough that it never needed one. In this case, be sure to check the VIN to assure that it is a safe, legal purchase."

Here's as close to a legitimate statement about VINs as I could find. On http://www.atv-411.com/atv-vin-decoder.html.

"All vehicles manufactured after 1978 have a 17 digit VIN number. It is made up of a combination of letters and numbers, but the letter "O" is never used, it should be entered as a "0" (zero).

And your ATV VIN number will be stamped on the frame, usually on the left hand side, on the frame rail under the motor. Do not try to use the number that it stamped on the motor, that is the motor serial number, not the ATV VIN number."

I'm not the DMV or the DOL but I have dealt with both of these for a very long time and it wouldn't surprise me if all motorized vehicles required a VIN number.

KrodEKid

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota corolla, Mazda 5
Country flag
This is great even if you don't care because small engines are responsible for just as much pollution as cars. The more manufacturers moving to electric the better. I'm not usually tempted by expensive toys but may consider if price is right.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I'm a toy nut, and serial toy buyer/seller. I've had so many off road vehicles. I have spent hundreds of days in the CA desert with other toy nuts. My brother is a vehicle flipper and mechanic. In my neighborhood I'm the guy everyone brings off-road toys to for help. And we have yet to find a post-80s vehicle without a VIN.

CA won't road-license anything that doesn't have all of the federally mandated safety features of a road vehicle. AZ will, and easily. Other states vary. I've registered home builds and junk/converted vehicles several times.

Deleted member 12457

I'm a toy nut, and serial toy buyer/seller. I've had so many off road vehicles. I have spent hundreds of days in the CA desert with other toy nuts. My brother is a vehicle flipper and mechanic. In my neighborhood I'm the guy everyone brings off-road toys to for help. And we have yet to find a post-80s vehicle without a VIN.

CA won't road-license anything that doesn't have all of the federally mandated safety features of a road vehicle. AZ will, and easily. Other states vary. I've registered home builds and junk/converted vehicles several times.
Doesn't surprise me. A different part of the second article mentioned the following but Arizona probably doesn't care about this either.

In most states, if the ATV was declared as a "salvage vehicle", it cannot be sold as used for normal use. It must be sold as parts, and cannot be licensed for off road use again.

Some states care and some states don't. I think the one entity that cares the most is vehicle insurance. Insurance companies can charge whatever they want to depending on the vehicle. They can also not insure you, which can bring up other issues.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
VINs are only required with certain types and sizes of motors, certain size of manufacturer.

So there's lots of things that don't have VINs. (Most of the new EVs for instance) And lots of existing stock.

-Crissa

Last edited:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I have no idea where you got these illusions, or why you keep fighting for them. It's weird. But in any case, the quad will have a VIN, absolutely for sure, and will not be accepted by CA for road use because it doesn't meet vehicle safety standards.

I'm just shocked at how you could arrive at the idea that most new EVs have no VIN.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Find me the VIN on a onewheel, smartypants. Or a class 3 bicycle. Or on half the Chinese moped evs.

-Crissa.
You mean the things that don’t require and can’t be road registered? Those that aren’t considered vehicles under the law?

That explains it. I was confused on where you were going with this.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You mean the things that don’t require and can’t be road registered? Those that aren’t considered vehicles under the law?

That explains it. I was confused on where you were going with this.
You mean there are things that go faster than you're supposed to go on the road and aren't allowed on roads?

You didn't know that?

-Crissa
Sponsored