Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
This morning I was reviewing news on NewAtlas and came across this Indiegogo program for a stand-up electric quad:

https://newatlas.com/outdoors/robos...ail&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-3d41d747c0-89907138

During the Indiegogo campaign they are selling these for 4,200 with a planned retail price of $7,500. The article provided a lot of specs for the quad, such as having 4 in-hub motors, hydraulic brakes, etc. and it made me wonder about the Cyberquad as we haven't heard much about it in some time (other than the toy version that came out months back).

Admittedly, I was never considering getting a Cyberquad because I am not really interested in a single-seat vehicle but the concept is appealing on some level and I am a spec junky so it would be great if Tesla would provide more information than we have so far (electric, 4 wheels, single seat, looks like a CT, can be charged from the CT - i.e., not much information).
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
The quad was an invention in response to regulatory pushback on the counter-intuitive Three wheeler. Counter because it req’d riders lean to outside to execute inside maneuvers. The quad operates exactly like a motorcycle just more stable.
Tesla Cybertruck Cyberquad musings AA798981-9F8A-452B-935C-2642C9F905C1

Quads are workhorses afield, farm and recreationally doing work hauling. So the price is sensitive to the working elite who can’t afford the bells and whistles

Is this the replacement for the pickup and horse trailer work setup? At $40k and $4k for the quad its in the range of retiring Ole Smokey. $7500 kills both the quad and the CT for working purposes

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Is this the replacement for the pickup and horse trailer work setup? At $40k and $4k for the quad its in the range of retiring Ole Smokey. $7500 kills both the quad and the CT for working purposes
It's easy to forget Total Cost of Operation. Electrics excel at hours or miles of operation between service intervals and their 'fuel' coats are even better. Lifetime costs can be super low unless something rare happens.

-Crissa

slomobile

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Roboticist
Country flag
Three wheeler... req’d riders lean to outside to execute inside maneuvers.
Three wheeler riders lean opposite to a motorcycle in order to lift the inside rear wheel in a turn allowing it to spin. This was required because Honda applied the principle "The best part is no part." Three wheelers had no rear differential and no suspension other than the balloon tires. ATCs could also be turned by leaning aggressively to the inside, allowing the outside wheel to skid. It worked surprisingly well, but lacking an outboard front wheel led to an unacceptable tendency to roll over if the rider did not fully commit to either maneuver. It injured kids who were too light or too timid to throw their weight around. Quads were supposed to mitigate this risk, but their effectiveness at preventing youth injury is debatable. Their popularity is not.

Dual electric rear motors function as an effective differential, eliminating the need for these aggressive maneuvers. A long trail front wheel geometry can reduce the risk of rollover. Cyberquad would be a fantastic way reintroduce the ATC to the world. There is a LOT of nostalgia surrounding the ATC. People who were kids, badly wanting one when they were banned are now adults with (kids?) means to buy one if only they were available.

But Cyberquad means 4 wheels right? ATC means All Terrain Cycle. It doesn't have to be a 3 wheeler to be an ATC. I am building a 4 motor asymmetrical ATC for my personal use. The 2 front wheels are close together with the pivot forward of the axle. Like a 2 wheel caster. The front steers by varying the 2 front wheel speeds. It can be driven remotely, without any mechanical steering shaft. Though one can be added if desired. As the front wheels steer left, by virtue of the forward pivot, the vehicle front end is pushed left, and the wheels are no longer equal about the vehicle centerline, but biased under the right of center, providing additional rollover resistance. Positive caster, and a ramplike structure in the thrust bearing tend to point the wheels straight ahead, but allow a turning angle up to 90 degrees tilting the vehicle progressively toward the inside of the turn.

I'm not trying to sell it, but I'm happy to consult with someone that wants to.

Mine is being built from 4 DC brushed power wheelchair motors. It could just as easily be made from 2 hoverboards, or larger PM brushless, ACIM, SepEx, Series or Shunt wound DC motors. Maybe even a miniaturized SynRM.

As a person that regularly loads an electric personal vehicle into a road vehicle, I can attest to the convenience of charging while under way. I have had to cut short trail rides in my electric wheelchair due to battery depletion, then be unable to climb the ramp into my front door when I get home. That problem would be eliminated with even a short charge while on the road.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I have had to cut short trail rides in my electric wheelchair due to battery depletion, then be unable to climb the ramp into my front door
ATC three-wheelers were an attractive nuisance. The quad motor twin wheel front fork ATC is giving off “hot wheel” vibes.

Not only a great summation between ATC variants but first hand knowledge how to better the design, torque vector steer and innovate through engineering-out the dangerous qualities that cause harm.

Cyberquad, Tesla could contribute more besides rakish fenders. Closer taking delivery comes - ATC gets higher on the accessory list. Torque vector steering ATC sounds safer way to ride.
Sponsored