Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In any case, the incentives offered by Nevada were better than from Texas (if any) at that time. This time though, the ball is in Tesla’s court and they seem to have the upper hand. I assume this time Tesla might include the clause of direct sales along with the factory. I have an eerie feeling that Texas has already rejected Tesla’s request for that during behind the scenes negotiations and therefore their newly declared quest for locations in Central USA. Who knows what’s actually happening. We can only speculate.
Ah ha...found it..the links I was looking for....I knew back in 2014, Texas was trying to lure Texas to build the first giga factory. He
I never saw anything near like you are posing in a question form in any news release or podcast.
Ahh ha....here are the links...hopefully the Legislature can up their ante and Elon will look at Texas another time..
https://www.statesman.com/article/20140905/BUSINESS/309059633
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michel...come-to-land-teslas-gigafactory/#13d5612d52ad
https://www.texastribune.org/2014/09/03/report-texas-loses-bid-tesla-gigafactory/

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Ah ha...found it..the links I was looking for....I knew back in 2014, Texas was trying to lure Texas to build the first giga factory. He

Ahh ha....here are the links...hopefully the Legislature can up their ante and Elon will look at Texas another time..
https://www.statesman.com/article/20140905/BUSINESS/309059633
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michel...come-to-land-teslas-gigafactory/#13d5612d52ad
https://www.texastribune.org/2014/09/03/report-texas-loses-bid-tesla-gigafactory/
You got me...Tesla was but a twinkle in my eye back in 2014.
And really 2014 in Elon years is like the 20th century ago.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I predict it will be in Texas, the pickup capital of the country.

stumby

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P90D
Country flag
I predict it will be in Texas, the pickup capital of the country.
Ya I think that’s the safe bet too. Texas is completely pro business (tax incentives, lack of red tape, plenty of land).

The only sticking point might be that it’s not currently pro-direct-car-sales. But that may be an extra motivation for Tesla to build Cybertruck gigafactory there so they can finally crack the Texas market wide open.

OP
OP
Administrator

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK
Country flag
The city of Joplin, Missouri has submitted a formal proposal worth $1 billion in incentives to Tesla to build its Cybertruck factory on a 1,042-acre site in Wildwood Ranch.

Joplin chamber pitches city to Tesla

https://www.joplinglobe.com/news/jo...cle_6d81f6b8-7da2-11ea-8fac-c7d4af6d9c70.html

April 13, 2020

If Joplin's chamber director has his way, Tesla will locate its next manufacturing plant on a site of more than 1,000 acres at Wildwood Ranch.

Joplin, through the chamber and city officials, has submitted a formal proposal worth $1 billion in incentives to Tesla to put its Midwest manufacturing plant here to build the wedge-shaped, electric truck that developer Elon Musk calls a cybertruck. The truck will have the stainless steel skin developed by Musk's SpaceX rocket company.

The package proposes a 1,042-acre site in Wildwood Ranch for the Tesla gigafactory, chamber President Toby Teeter announced Monday in a City Hall briefing.

The property offers access to BSNF rail service, and it's near interstates 44 and 49 and is within minutes of the Joplin Regional Airport, Teeter said. There are utilities already available with the power capability to produce 70 megawatts of electricity as well as being located next to one of Liberty Utilities' generating facilities, he said.

"We're competing against much larger, stronger markets," Teeter said. "...But I think we're going to be a pretty strong competitor for this opportunity."

Joplin's area workforce availability numbers 193,000 within a 20-mile radius and 279,000 within 30 miles, Tesla was told. There are 150 battery engineers in the workforce here along with more than 500 licensed engineers within a 60-mile radius, Teeter said.

"We're also the trucking capital of America. That gives Tesla front-row access to its next market with four of the largest trucking companies in the nation within a 60-mile radius," Teeter said.

Details of the $1 billion offer include:

• A 1,042-acre site at a 50% discount.​
• A 100% tax abatement for 12 years.​

• State incentives that would include Missouri Works tax credits to provide capital as well as funding to buy equipment and assistance with workforce training. Missouri automotive manufacturing incentives, Missouri Builds and state and local sales tax abatement also are part of the package.

Teeter said Tesla would save $75 million in annual payroll compared to other manufacturing engineer wages in markets like Nashville, Tennessee, and Austin, Texas, "who we also anticipate also being in play for this Midwest facility," he said.

Musk's company said a Midwest site is sought to build cars for the company's East Coast market.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Missouri called and said "Elon, we have a great deal for you", and he replied "Show Me!"

Tesla4KShares

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3P, Y LR, CT
Occupation
FI but not Retired
Country flag
I vote for Texas...but only after the legislature gets a divorce from the stealerships.
Completely agree to this one here. If I remember correctly, Texas is the 2nd state with the most pre-orders of CT behind California.

outdoors_jp

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Highlander, Rivian R1S, Cybertruck
Occupation
Geologist
Country flag
Joplin is out of the way from everything and not a large talent pool. Nice area, I used to drive through it a lot but not a destination. Texas seems like the best deal so far. Access to gulf for shipping, large labor pool, large technology pool. I like the thought of all that wind energy being used to make the truck. If they could leverage a deal with the state to be able to operate normally then I think it would be great.

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 S90D ,2014Tacoma, Cyberbeast ordered 2/13/24
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tornadoes and golf ball size hail hitting your new car storage areas. Not a good place.

Last edited by a moderator:

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Tornadoes and golf ball size hail hitting your new car storage areas. Not a good place.
Even in Missouri?

That's why we left Denver, had my fill of it (every time we got a new car).

OTH, it's Cybertruck!
Sponsored