Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Mirrors are not usually large enough for much depth of parallax.

And no, mirrors are no longer cheaper than cameras, nor can mirrors be as hardened as a camera. A camera on my Mazda is $50, my mirror is $900.

-Crissa

radami1

First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, model s
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I don't think you want pointy mirrors, safety hazard. I'm just used to the idea of no mirrors. Let's step into the future...
No worse than those spears truckers use for lug nuts on their wheels

OP
OP
MEDICALJMP

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Mirrors are not usually large enough for much depth of parallax.

And no, mirrors are no longer cheaper than cameras, nor can mirrors be as hardened as a camera. A camera on my Mazda is $50, my mirror is $900.

-Crissa
Mine was over $500 and took 8 weeks to locate due to the extra wire on the luxury model versus the standard car model.

Deleted member 3316

I agree that matte black mirrors would be best. Maybe ones that match the triangle spot where the cameras should be? Or even a hybrid system with the small mirrors that have a camera system built in for wider viewing angles?

don’t know if that would work just throwing out ideas ?

what do you guys think?
I agree
This article disputes the depth perception hypothesis in those side mirrors, but I am no optical physicist. Not a big deal either way.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/i...bjects-in-mirror-closer-than-they-appear2.htm
I can’t see anything in this article that disagrees with my description.

This might help you

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binocular_vision

LTN COLUMBO

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DUSTER PRESTIGE
Country flag
Le problème avec les rétroviseurs extérieurs: le CT serait très large, et lors d'un trajet routier, on aurait peur d'accrocher ceux-ci ! Il faut savoir qu'en Europe, les routes sont plus bien plus étroites que sur le Continent Américain !

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
collector chevy K20, cybertruck asap
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
Mois je verrais bien des rétroviseurs numériques avec des caméras à la place des rétroviseurs physiques. j'ai peur que cela fasse un véhicule trop large ( attention lors de la rentrée dans le garage !! )
He is saying that he prefers no physical mirrors because it makes the truck larger and you be be careful driving the truck into your garage.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
These “advantages” do not better a mirror.
1, A mirror can fold to reduce width, then the side repeater will provide (suboptimal) vision
2, Mirrors provide a superior viewing experience when parking.
3, A mirror would be more reliable and cheaper to replace.
If you need mirrors to drive safely or to provide a "superior viewing experience when parking" you can always add them after purchase or buy a vehicle that has mirrors. I'm a big fan of consumers voting with their pocketbook.

That said, this is a moot point (in N. America) until the mirror regulations are changed. And they will be changed - it's just a matter of when.

Deleted member 3316

If you need mirrors to drive safely or to provide a "superior viewing experience when parking" you can always add them after purchase or buy a vehicle that has mirrors. I'm a big fan of consumers voting with their pocketbook.

That said, this is a moot point (in N. America) until the mirror regulations are changed. And they will be changed - it's just a matter of when.
I think the mirror regulation will change with the introduction of robust autonomous driving legislation.
On your point about consumers voting with their pocketbook, that is only possible if there is the appropriate options for choice. Because of various factors nefarious and apathetic, most places do not have the type of vehicle many consumers would like in an electric model.

Deleted member 3316

I think the mirror regulation will change with the introduction of robust autonomous driving legislation.
On your point about consumers voting with their pocketbook, that is only possible if there is the appropriate options for choice. Because of various factors nefarious and apathetic, the market segments addressed that have electric drive trains are quite limited....

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
On your point about consumers voting with their pocketbook, that is only possible if there is the appropriate options for choice. Because of various factors nefarious and apathetic, the market segments addressed that have electric drive trains are quite limited....
I'm not sure I'm properly understanding your comments about a consumer only being able to vote with their pocketbook if there is a choice and that choices are "quite limited".

Let's say you live in a market that no longer has the legal requirement of side mirrors and Tesla chooses to release the Cybertruck without mirrors. Let's also say this is the only EV truck offered for sale in that market but there is a potential buyer that wants an EV truck with side mirrors.

Before the Cybertruck was released in that market the potential buyer had the following choices:

1) Buy a gas or diesel truck with mirrors.
2) Do without a truck.

With the release of a Cybertruck without mirrors the buyer has the following choices:

2) Buy a Cybertruck without mirrors.
3) Do without a truck.

So, the very act of Tesla releasing a Cybertruck without mirrors has only increased the possible choices for the consumer. If they don't like the Cybertruck without mirrors, they won't be buying it. So I would say the consumer is still voting with their pocketbook (on which product most closely meets their needs) and Tesla would be increasing the choices in the marketplace.

Claiming this is not voting with your pocketbook would be like looking at the candidates on a ballot and saying "it's not possible to vote because there aren't enough choices". Anything that increases the available options is a good thing. And, if you really want mirrors on that Cybertruck that comes without, there is nothing from preventing you from adding your own. Tesla doesn't have to meet the needs of every possible consumer to become a wild success.

Deleted member 3316

I'm not sure I'm properly understanding your comments about a consumer only being able to vote with their pocketbook if there is a choice and that choices are "quite limited".

Let's say you live in a market that no longer has the legal requirement of side mirrors and Tesla chooses to release the Cybertruck without mirrors. Let's also say this is the only EV truck offered for sale in that market but there is a potential buyer that wants an EV truck with side mirrors.

Before the Cybertruck was released in that market the potential buyer had the following choices:

2) Do without a truck.

With the release of a Cybertruck without mirrors the buyer has the following choices:

2) Buy a Cybertruck without mirrors.
3) Do without a truck.

So, the very act of Tesla releasing a Cybertruck without mirrors has only increased the possible choices for the consumer. If they don't like the Cybertruck without mirrors, they won't be buying it. So I would say the consumer is still voting with their pocketbook (on which product most closely meets their needs) and Tesla would be increasing the choices in the marketplace.

Claiming this is not voting with your pocketbook would be like looking at the candidates on a ballot and saying "it's not possible to vote because there aren't enough choices". Anything that increases the available options is a good thing. And, if you really want mirrors on that Cybertruck that comes without, there is nothing from preventing you from adding your own. Tesla doesn't have to meet the needs of every possible consumer to become a wild success.
Yeah I was talking about ev options generally, in Australia there aren’t many options and the Australian Government is making EVs more expensive than the ICE equivalent.... sooooo.. it’s hard to vote with your pocketbook when there isn’t an EV option in a reasonable price range.
A new Renault Zoe retails for AU$52k where a Clio costs around AU$20k

The Model 3 Std range is AU$72k

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Can't really vote with your pocketbook if there isn't an option for your pocketbook to take.

Not voting only enforces the incumbents.

-Crissa
Sponsored