First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I am betting that CT won’t have a side mirrors
This is a spy shot of a Trim that is originally designed for overseas. It is Octa motor, 24 carat for $850K. I believe the trim is called Soudi Bling. As you can see they are getting a mirror. That mirror looks detachable and won’t interfere with existing design. Allows flexibility pending regulation change.

kidding aside, this was just my attempt at 3D modeling. For now, this is the only way I can enjoy a CT.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck imagined with side mirrors and windshield wiper 8938EE55-DE5A-4C88-9570-052C043F7A69
Sponsored

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the basic issue is that folks trust photons more than electrons and photons. Putting a camera instead of the mirror on the side of your car adds to the complexity of the process.

1- With a mirror photon leaves the source, bounces from the mirror, hit your eyeball and your brain processes the image, you make a decision.

2- With a camera, Photon hit the camera, information get translated, moves to the car image processor, get translated back to display, get translated back to photons and get to your eyeballs

more points of failure, less safe.

Removing the mirror and the human reduces complexity more than removing just the mirror alone.

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I think the basic issue is that folks trust photons more than electrons and photons. Putting a camera instead of the mirror on the side of your car adds to the complexity of the process.

1- With a mirror photon leaves the source, bounces from the mirror, hit your eyeball and your brain processes the image, you make a decision.

2- With a camera, Photon hit the camera, information get translated, moves to the car image processor, get translated back to display, get translated back to photons and get to your eyeballs

Removing the mirror and the human reduces complexity more than removing just the mirror alone.
More points of failure does not equal less safe, ABS brakes are clearly more complex than non ABS but are more safe. Complexity is not a criterion for effective evaluation, if it was all high tech solutions would lose to low tech. My question is... if cameras are sufficient to provide vision for machine control how can they be argued insufficient for a human operator and I think the answer is they cannot. So then it becomes is a human operator better with mirrors that they don't bother to properly adjust or are they better with cameras and collision prevention driver assistance and is a redundancy system helpful or distracting.
My gut says mirrors are in the rearview "mirror".

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
More points of failure does not equal less safe, ABS brakes are clearly more complex than non ABS but are more safe. Complexity is not a criterion for effective evaluation, if it was all high tech solutions would lose to low tech. My question is... if cameras are sufficient to provide vision for machine control how can they be argued insufficient for a human operator and I think the answer is they cannot. So then it becomes is a human operator better with mirrors that they don't bother to properly adjust or are they better with cameras and collision prevention driver assistance and is a redundancy system helpful or distracting.
My gut says mirrors are in the rearview "mirror".
Great point. If they are legal in Europe there may be enough before and after data to draw some sort of conclusion one way or another. I have a feeling the reason they are not legal in U.S. yet is for the same reason drugs become legal in Europe first. We need a petri dish ;).

Europeans in the room, I am just horsing around. Your regulations have saved my booty many times with my flights when ours failed me.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
The several states have laws that say a mirror is required and that it must be positioned to reflect a view of 200 ft to the rear to legally operate in the state. By the letter a mirror that reflects a screen displaying the view for 200 ft is sufficient for legal operation. Some states... like Pennsylvania say a mirror or system that allows a rear view is required. In Massachusetts we are required to have 1 mirror. That mirror does not have to be outside the car. Of course legal operation is different than able to sell, but largely states have much less requirements to operate than NHTSA has to sell new vehicles.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Magnetic will not work! the body is stainless steel!
A suction cup with a strong permanent magnet built in with another magnet inside the glass or behind body panel may hold it if the shape is aerodynamic enough. If not, people will stop following CTs on the road due to those flying mirrors.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
A suction cup with a strong permanent magnet built in with another magnet inside the glass or behind body panel may hold it if the shape is aerodynamic enough. If not, people will stop following CTs on the road due to those flying mirrors.
The CT as a James Bond car. An EV has no oil to spill to mess with vehicles following it. So instead it flings its mirrors at the follow vehicle.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The CT as a James Bond car. An EV has no oil to spill to mess with vehicles following it. So instead it flings its mirrors at the follow vehicle.
Since bad guys are usually ugly, that would be the perfect scare tactic.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Donald Glover is 007 in Reflections of Tomorrow.

strongsafety31

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
retired
Country flag

Cameras give a more complete picture. If someone swerves into your lane from the side or back of you, and you have FSD, your vehicle would take evasive action. Same would be true for any unsafe events in front of you. Computer reaction time is faster than human reaction time.

biovmrct22

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit, Hyundai Sonata, Ford Explorer SportTrac, Tesla Cybertruck (Pending)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Speaking for myself, I NEVER look into my Honda Fit's right outside mirror, because a better picture of that side is displayed on my screen whenever I signal right or whenever I activate the camera with a button on the turn signal stalk. If I could get a similar camera for the left side, I would be willing to pay to put in on the car, because they're THAT GOOD. Not only are the cameras better in all light conditions, but they won't be knocked off the vehicle (if mounted without an extended-outward mount) and become road debris.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Cameras give a more complete picture. If someone swerves into your lane from the side or back of you, and you have FSD, your vehicle would take evasive action. Same would be true for any unsafe events in front of you. Computer reaction time is faster than human reaction time.
I agree with you. I was comparing a Non FSD comparison. As Dids brought to my attention, increase potential for failure does not always mean less safe so I stand corrected.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag