Cybergirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y x 2
Country flag
This begs the question... they have a new facility, the room, and the demand. Will China get the Cybertruck first?
Given the tremendous reception that CT has received after its unveiling last year, Elon has to be impressed and feel a sense of urgency to put CT into production. He needs a factory ASAP. Given the red tape and court challenges that are typical of building a new factory in the U.S., I can imagine that Elon is looking for alternatives to speed things up. He's testing the waters in China to see if there's a big enough market there to justify producing CT there first, even as plans to build a factory in Austin drag on. When the U.S. factory is finally a reality, the ramp up of CT production at Austin will go very quickly after having already wrung out the bugs in Shanghai.
Sponsored

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
China gets to drive anything that they want to. They don’t have as many crazy safety and emissions checks as America does.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
This begs the question... they have a new facility, the room, and the demand. Will China get the Cybertruck first?
Would be not funny China build GigaFactory and ships Cybertrucks before GigaAustin.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Would be not funny China build GigaFactory and ships Cybertrucks before GigaAustin.
Not funny at all because it would be easy to do if you don't have to observe our norms for worker and consumer protection.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Not funny at all because it would be easy to do if you don't have to observe our norms for worker and consumer protection.
No, it wouldn't be, because we're waiting on the batteries and assembly design. That will take the same amount of time, either way.

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
THis is what i would like to know.
Tesla can assemble Cybertrucks anywhere. Tesla with IDRA castings can popup assemble anywhere, anyplace, anytime.

IDRA castings are a network effect, changing factory manufacturing to assembly. Tesla can pre-manufacture and supply chain components.

GigaAustin can run concurrent CT1, CT2 and CT3 assembly lines in parallel if it wants. Tesla’s “designed in Palo Alto”.

Tesla can do Cybertruck assembly lines in existing Asian facilities for Asian markets. It no longer is strapped manufacturing, training skilled labor and dedicated plants, any longer. It can go to where the markets are for all of it.Kinda like AAPL

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, shipping castings seems weird, but it's what Arcimoto and Aptera are planning. I think Arrival is planning that, too. Then you can ship more units collapsed and save on tariffs, too. Buy local batteries and save even more on shipping.

-Crissa
Sponsored