Cybertruck Off-Road Capability

Cybertruck69420

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Cherokee, 1991 Chevy Camaro, 1983 Chevy S10 and hopefully a Cybertruck soon.
Country flag
OP
As a future Cybertruck owner and a off-road enthusiast, I have some concerns about the capability of the Cybertruck going off-road. I know the tire size is pretty good at 35x12.50"; and the approach/departure angles are fine as well, but I'm more concerned about getting water damage. I hear about a lot of Tesla's that are basically junk after getting flooded, so I'm curious just how water proof the Cybertruck might be. I do not intend on intentionally drowning a Cybertruck, but for example, I can take my little Jeep Cherokee through water that goes halfway up my doors and keep going with no issues. I wonder if the Tesla could do the same, however, I haven't found anything online about this. Therefore, I'm wondering if anyone here might have any answers or links to send my way? Thanks for reading.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Cybertruck69420

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Cherokee, 1991 Chevy Camaro, 1983 Chevy S10 and hopefully a Cybertruck soon.
Country flag

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
OP
As a future Cybertruck owner and a off-road enthusiast, I have some concerns about the capability of the Cybertruck going off-road. I know the tire size is pretty good at 35x12.50"; and the approach/departure angles are fine as well, but I'm more concerned about getting water damage. I hear about a lot of Tesla's that are basically junk after getting flooded
I think most of the water damaged Teslas came from floods where the water level was over the hood/frunk and door window sills and were under water for days or weeks.

Also the normal Tesla models are engineered for urban & highway use not off-roading.
The Cybertruck is designed for off-roading and to ford streams & flooded areas. I do not think Tesla has yet told us the maximum depth limit.

Does Baja have standard max. depth for the flood/streams sections part of the course?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Does Baja have standard max. depth for the flood/streams sections part of the course?
LOL

From what I've seen, Baja doesn't have a standard anything other than the standard case of everything being suddenly the worst-case scenario just when you thought you were doing well. Watching videos of the race I've seen all kinds of dirt/rock/mud/sand/water roads. Plus there are people sabotaging the signs to make drivers go down non-sanctioned paths. Plus there are randomly created booby traps (ex: people dig large hidden holes for vehicles to fall into). Plus there are multiple class levels (motorbikes, ATV, Trophy Trucks, Jeeps, Production Vehicles, etc) that are racing all at the same time (staggered starts but with different average speeds they are all on the track at the same time and running over each other). Plus the race goes over-night with no course lighting. And from what I've seen you don't need to stay on the designated track. You just need to hit all the virtual waypoints in order (or be time penalized).

Given all that, I would say that no, there is no "standard max. depth for the flood/streams sections part of the course". Even if they did try to keep the depth to some max, given all the other randomness going on, who knows what a racer would actually encounter.

But given the base size of the tires being 35", I'd guess that at a bare minimum you can run water 1/2 the way up those tires to 17". But beyond that, EM seems to be making the CT a personal pride project so it wouldn't surprise me if you could actually close all the windows and tonneau cover and for a short while drive completely submerged across a river/lake. Might not even need a snorkel if the air system could seal itself up to protect from water intrusion into the bio-defense air filter system. I'm not signing up to do that experiment though so take all that info with a grain or two of salt.

But don't add your salt to the water. There is another thread discussing the effects of salt water on the CT. Whole different issue.

OP
OP

Cybertruck69420

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But don't add your salt to the water. There is another thread discussing the effects of salt water on the CT. Whole different issue.
A little patina would be nice, right? lol But yeah, the 35" tires are nice and guaranteed ground clearance. I just don't want to end up putting my Cybertruck in a big bag of rice ? so I hope it's sealed like a submarine!

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
That's what I wanted to hear! Thanks for the reply and link!
Not just that, but imagine driving through a river and lifting the suspension to its full 16" height, no worries, there's no carb or air intake to flood, and with such a low center of gravity, rollovers are not a thing.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Generally speaking there isn't much water in the Baja 1000. It's a dry desert environment, but occasionally even the desert gets rains and flash floods. It's funny though, the ground is so sandy it drys up quick. Dust and low visibility, is one of the major problems you deal with in that race. Electric has a benifit of not using an air filter for the dust also. I just wonder about thermal management, I'd think that could be huge with the Baja 1000.
Also, most of the vehicles racing are nothing like STOCK vehicles. I was there one year and after the finish I got a chance to see the winning Toyota truck. It had nothing to do with a Toyota truck. It was a single seater with a center cockpit and a mid engine behind the driver that was from the Toyota sports car racing series team. Basically it was like a single seat racing buggy with a fiberglass truck body added onto it.
Sponsored

Last edited: