Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
I really like that camo wrap, hopefully they will offer it as an option.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I really like that camo wrap, hopefully they will offer it as an option.
Wraps take a couple hours and often need to cure over night. It would probably take as long to wrap the car as it does to make the car. So they probably won't want a bottleneck like that. I'm guessing you'll have to do it after taking delivery liked you do now.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
Wraps take a couple hours and often need to cure over night. It would probably take as long to wrap the car as it does to make the car. So they probably won't want a bottleneck like that. I'm guessing you'll have to do it after taking delivery liked you do now.
Seems like a potential for some easy money. If 50k of the 250k units sold a year optioned for a wrap and lets say profit from each wrap was 1k to Tesla, that would be 50 mil. They could have an offline site the trucks were wrapped to keep from bottlenecking production.

I have no idea what a wrap cost when done at that type of scale and what profit margin could be but to start the conversation I took liberties.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Seems like a potential for some easy money. If 50k of the 250k units sold a year optioned for a wrap and lets say profit from each wrap was 1k to Tesla, that would be 50 mil. They could have an offline site the trucks were wrapped to keep from bottlenecking production.

I have no idea what a wrap cost when done at that type of scale and what profit margin could be but to start the conversation I took liberties.
You're thinking like a car dealer, not like Tesla. If they wanted another $1k profit on the CT, they'd raise the price. Tesla isn't about making the very last dollar they can on a vehicle. It's about the mission. And market share is more important than what they might make off a wrap. Plus the wrap takes time, staff, room, all stuff that could be better utilized some other way. And wouldn't you prefer they work on the ramp up first???

There are 1,000 places to get your CT wrapped in every city. And for those that live in the sticks, you can order a kit and have it shipped. I don't see this as an option. I'd like to consider a matte dark grey or black, but I ain't expecting that option on the configurator.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
You're thinking like a car dealer, not like Tesla. If they wanted another $1k profit on the CT, they'd raise the price. Tesla isn't about making the very last dollar they can on a vehicle. It's about the mission. And market share is more important than what they might make off a wrap. Plus the wrap takes time, staff, room, all stuff that could be better utilized some other way. And wouldn't you prefer they work on the ramp up first???

There are 1,000 places to get your CT wrapped in every city. And for those that live in the sticks, you can order a kit and have it shipped. I don't see this as an option. I'd like to consider a matte dark grey or black, but I ain't expecting that option on the configurator.
Makes sense. They need all the room they have to start building the 25k car and Robotaxi in GFT anyway.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

Just a guess but with approximately 2 million reservations Tesla might be more concerned about throughput than profit.
Sponsored