CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
I knew it was Alien tech!! The CT in its natural habit is conformable enough to show us its real form. The combination of those antennas and the BAW must be its comunication hardware since the rest is all glass and metal.
Sponsored

sstevens805

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DM 2021 MY & '69 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Country flag
That's 10 minutes away from me. It's not a proving ground, it's an old beat ass strip used for small private planes, motorcycle license training, and car shows.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Cybertruck validation is still ongoing. We may not see retail sales until early 2024.
I keep asking this question.

All this "testing" the last 30-45 days would suggest that the design is not final. Sure, it is mostly final, but for example what if the testing yesterday shows that in cornering the sway bar has the wrong geometry? Or, the passenger door panel rattles? Or, there is body "booming"?

I am sure some folks will say this testing means nothing.....but it does. That is why they call it testing. You use those test results to go back and make changes. Hopefully they aren't finding anything major.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I purchased a 2023 Lightning Lariat as I wait for my November 2019 Cybertruck reservation.
I assumed you did also.

I am glad I did. I think we are going to be waiting until well into 2025, and the Ford Lightning has been a great vehicle and I enjoy many of its features.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I agree that it's not looking good for retail sales this year.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag

All this "testing" the last 30-45 days would suggest that the design is not final. Sure, it is mostly final, but for example what if the testing yesterday shows that in cornering the sway bar has the wrong geometry? Or, the passenger door panel rattles? Or, there is body "booming"?

I am sure some folks will say this testing means nothing.....but it does. That is why they call it testing. You use those test results to go back and make changes. Hopefully they aren't finding anything major.
They are probably just tweaking software specific to the Cybertruck. Tesla doesn't have many vehicles that can change ride heights (Model S) or that have 4-wheel steering so it makes sense that once programmed, they may have to make some changes. Do the rear wheels crab with the front wheels (like when you are changing lanes)? When? At what cutoff? What happens when the viewpoint of the camera is raised 8 inches? When hauling a trailer, how does the Cybertruck figure out what "level" is if the truck is not parked level?

There is a whole slew of things they could be testing. Driving around random places does not really help them test for hardware tweaks. I mean, suppose in the video above, the Cybertruck goes around a curve and the tester says "Hey, the sway bar feels too loose." Okay, what then? Do they manufacture a change and then take it back to the exact same curve at the exact same speed to see if it's improved? No, it's more likely they are seeing if tweaks to software work in multiple environments.

That's my two cents.

Bkent100

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
It manager
Country flag

Almost every picture shows a proving ground that my Honda accord could easily master!!

Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag

Validation is different from "testing".

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
We have seen Cybertruck testing for years now, it's nothing new. Tesla will continue to test and validate changes long after you or I have one. They are still improving the Model 3, seven years later! If they find a door rattle, they will track it down, isolate it, and fix it.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They are probably just tweaking software specific to the Cybertruck. Tesla doesn't have many vehicles that can change ride heights (Model S) or that have 4-wheel steering so it makes sense that once programmed, they may have to make some changes. Do the rear wheels crab with the front wheels (like when you are changing lanes)? When? At what cutoff? What happens when the viewpoint of the camera is raised 8 inches? When hauling a trailer, how does the Cybertruck figure out what "level" is if the truck is not parked level?

There is a whole slew of things they could be testing. Driving around random places does not really help them test for hardware tweaks. I mean, suppose in the video above, the Cybertruck goes around a curve and the tester says "Hey, the sway bar feels too loose." Okay, what then? Do they manufacture a change and then take it back to the exact same curve at the exact same speed to see if it's improved? No, it's more likely they are seeing if tweaks to software work in multiple environments.

That's my two cents.
Now we know.

The Launch party is November 30th. (Pretty much December 1st)
So it is ready.

In the meantime the "experts" are predicting about 75,000 units in 2024.
Which aligns with Elon saying it would take about 18 months to ramp the Cybertruck to enough production that would allow Tesla to make a profit on it. Elon also said capacity will about about 250,000. If we want to guess, the hope is that 250,000 will be built in 2025.

If you are waiting for a Cybertruck, that is about 325,000 combined for 2024 & 2025.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Elon also said capacity will about about 250,000. If we want to guess, the hope is that 250,000 will be built in 2025.

If you are waiting for a Cybertruck, that is about 325,000 combined for 2024 & 2025.
No, that's just over 200k for the two years. Because they will only reach 5k/week 13 to 18 months after the delivery event, the profitable point. They need to make ~5k/week all year to make 250k per year.

And if they still have a million preorders at that point, and no difficulty finding people to fork over the cash for more, they'll keep ramping.

If not, well, that's their offramp.

-Crissa

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, that's just over 200k for the two years. Because they will only reach 5k/week 13 to 18 months after the delivery event, the profitable point. They need to make ~5k/week all year to make 250k per year.

And if they still have a million preorders at that point, and no difficulty finding people to fork over the cash for more, they'll keep ramping.

If not, well, that's their offramp.

-Crissa
Aaah, Right. 200,000 by the end of 2025. Ouch.

That is not going to satisfy the mob.

Next up is the price, and range. If the range is "only" 375 miles, for example, and the price is $79K, the mob won't be satisfied.

I am keeping my November 2019 reservation, but it might be Christmas 2025 before I get mine. Glad I bought a Lariat Lightning to use and enjoy in the meantime. This could help Rivian sell a few more R1Ts and Ford to sell some Lightnings.
Sponsored